[SOLVED] Cloning a disk vs expanding storage

jozeftierney

Reputable
May 4, 2018
My bosses hard drive is full, I've cloned a disk before using Macrium Reflect just to replace it but it wasn't without it's problems and scares. There is a lot of important data he doesn't want to risk losing, would just throwing a new ssd in and not touching the old one just to expand storage be an easier solution? Are there any known problems with this?

Thanks

Solution
I don't really understand why the data isn't backed up now, before you were even asked the question, that's something to setup as soon as you have done this and certainly a one off backup before you start, even if you are just carting data off to a network drive.

2 drives = 2 chances for failure either of which renders the machine useless.
2 drives = confusion over what goes where, slightly more complex back up, more complex restore if reverting to 1 drive

Clone it, expand it.
I don't really understand why the data isn't backed up now, before you were even asked the question, that's something to setup as soon as you have done this and certainly a one off backup before you start, even if you are just carting data off to a network drive.

2 drives = 2 chances for failure either of which renders the machine useless.
2 drives = confusion over what goes where, slightly more complex back up, more complex restore if reverting to 1 drive

Clone it, expand it.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS