[SOLVED] Cloning disc image of activated Windows 10 to other PC

Feb 9, 2019
Hello all!

I have an activated copy of Windows 10 on my main PC. However, I will be moving and will be without that computer for up to 2 months.

I want to clone the OS (Win10 plus all my apps and settings) to a laptop in the meantime. There might be a bit of an overlap, meaning I would have both turned on at the same time for a few days before the main one is shipped.

Will running the cloned image of my main -- windows 10 activated -- PC on the laptop cause any sort of problem with the licence? Will the laptop clone simply say the key is invalid? What will happen?

Thanks in advance

Solution
your activation answer is not what I was expecting, which makes me wonder...

can you right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
this shows current version of win 10, newest are 1803 or 1809

What should show against activation is either
Windows is activated with a digital license. - if it says this, the license is still tied to motherboard
or
Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account. - If it shows this, the license is linked to your email address.

Fact yours shows neither makes me wonder which version of win 10 you are on still.

What if I immediately de-activate windows on the cloned laptop?

that is an option which would fix license from...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you go to Settings/update & security/activation on main PC
What does it say next to activation?

win 10 licences are recorded on Windows 10 Activation servers, and PC checks the servers every few weeks/months to confirm the hardware is the same as it was activated on. If you clone the win 10 onto a new laptop, its not going to have the same hardware details as the main PC, is it. So windows likely deactivate itself on the laptop... this isn't actually that much of a problem as Windows quite happy to run deactivated

now problem with running both is dependent on luck. I don't know what would happen to the activation on the PC if the laptop is checked 1st. If PC is checked 1st, thats okay as its the right specs. Not sure if MS records the details of PC's checked that don't match the info on activation servers.Ideal situation is laptop just deactivated with no effect on PC.

problem with running a cloned install on hardware that doesn't match that of cloned PC is also one of compatibility as the drivers won't match.You likely to get really weird errors.

Really, best idea is just install win 10 on laptop without a license for the 2 months and leave your license alone. Install the apps you need and at least this way drivers will match hardware

Reactions: bestunta
Feb 9, 2019
Hey, thanks for the speedy reply.

It just says Windows 10 Pro / Windows is activated (image just in case):

View: https://imgur.com/aEsj0L0

I see your point. I would as last resort do a clean install of win10 without activation. But its such a pain in the ass to re-install everything I need to work that I was going to try cloning first.

My main concern is that it will impact the licence on the main computer. So you are saying here is a risk that might happen? What if I immediately de-activate windows on the cloned laptop?

Thanks again

Colif

Win 11 Master

choose run...

Windows is activated with a digital license. - if it says this, the license is still tied to motherboard
or
Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account. - If it shows this, the license is linked to your email address.

Fact yours shows neither makes me wonder which version of win 10 you are on still.

What if I immediately de-activate windows on the cloned laptop?

that is an option which would fix license from deactivating

How to uninstall the Windows 10 product key from the current computer after you’ve reset Windows 10
  • Press Windows key + X then click Command Prompt (Admin) or Windows PowerShell (Admin).
  • At the command prompt, enter the following command: slmgr.vbs /upk

you will still run into the driver problem.

Solution
Feb 9, 2019

choose run...

or

that is an option which would fix license from deactivating

you will still run into the driver problem.

Thanks again!

It's running 1809.

I will try cloning and removing the license right away. Appreciate the links, will come in handy.

Cheers!