Jul 28, 2019
So I recently bought a 250GB 860 evo m.2 ssd, and I want to move ONLY the windows from the hdd to the ssd. But since it is impossible to pick which file to clone, so I was thinking to clone the local disk c to the ssd using the samsung data migration, then switch the boot order to ssd, and finally deleting the old windows folder from the hdd, and deleting everything EXCEPT the windows folder in the ssd to clear up space.

Is it safe to do the method that I mentioned? Or should I look for other safer method?

Solution
Please don't clone, just create you bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools and reinstall your OS. Prior to formatting and reinstalling the OS, make sure you've backed up all critical content from the older OS installation drive.

During the reinstallation process, you can format the older OS drive and pick the SSD as the destination for your new OS install.

Lutfij

Titan
Please don't clone, just create you bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools and reinstall your OS. Prior to formatting and reinstalling the OS, make sure you've backed up all critical content from the older OS installation drive.

During the reinstallation process, you can format the older OS drive and pick the SSD as the destination for your new OS install.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
So I recently bought a 250GB 860 evo m.2 ssd, and I want to move ONLY the windows from the hdd to the ssd. But since it is impossible to pick which file to clone, so I was thinking to clone the local disk c to the ssd using the samsung data migration, then switch the boot order to ssd, and finally deleting the old windows folder from the hdd, and deleting everything EXCEPT the windows folder in the ssd to clear up space.

Is it safe to do the method that I mentioned? Or should I look for other safer method?
No, that will not work.
A Windows install is much more than just the Windows folder. And everything but Windows on the old drive won't work with the OS on the new drive. You now have different drive letters.
Will not work.

Cloning is all or nothing. You can't split it up like this.

How much space is consumed on your current C drive?
If it is more than 200GB, you cannot clone it to this SSD.

When conditions are right, cloning can be great. If you try to get fancy, it WILL fail.

Jul 28, 2019
No, that will not work.
A Windows install is much more than just the Windows folder. And everything but Windows on the old drive won't work with the OS on the new drive. You now have different drive letters.
Will not work.

Cloning is all or nothing. You can't split it up like this.

How much space is consumed on your current C drive?
If it is more than 200GB, you cannot clone it to this SSD.

When conditions are right, cloning can be great. If you try to get fancy, it WILL fail.
My c drive current size is +-170GB. So should I just clone or go on with the clean install method?

Jul 28, 2019

By saying format the older os, does that mean formatting the whole drive? Or is it just the old windows?

Is it safe to do the method that I mentioned?
That depends.
Can you show screenshot from Disk Management first?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Basically you have to
  1. clone bootloader partition and C: partition to new SSD. New SSD has to be large enough to fit it all.
  2. Then test, if clone was successful by booting from new ssd (all other drives disconnected). This step is essential. If you omit it, you'll have to reclone.
  3. If that is success, connect old drives and delete folders on old drive:
\Windows​
\Program Files​
\Program Files (x86)​
\Program Data​
\Users​
After this is done, windows on old drive is gone.

Last edited:
Keep it simple.
Use the samsung ssd data migration app.
It is a C drive mover, not a clone which is a bit for bit copy.
It will check the space used and space available.
If you have insufficient space, there is an option to omit specified data files which can remain on the source drive.
Switch the boot order and you can do what you wish with the old hdd.
If you left valid data files on the HDD, you can delete the windows folder for added hdd room.
You can not move just the os. Installed apps will need the registry and if you move just the registry and not the apps, they will no longer run.
I think there is a work around for steam games.

Ultimately, just move the whole C drive and remove the hdd.
Keep it for a while as a backup since it will remain unchanged.

USAFRet

Titan
-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Randi Poling

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2014
I mean, if it is just documents and pictures and downloads, meh, just do a fresh install of Windows 10 on the SSD. Honestly, games can be re-downloaded and if you have any saved game files, push those off onto a thumb drive alogn with anything you NEED off he hdd and just nuke it and start fresh with the HDD as a storage solution.