[SOLVED] Cloning problem with SSD

Computermaster04

Prominent
Aug 6, 2020
Hello guys. Recently, I cloned my OS from an old ssd(120GB) to a new one(240 GB). The OS with some other files is about 35GB in capacity. After Cloning, I noticed the new SSD took around 100GB capacity. I dont understand. I was thinking it must be the recovery files, but cant find any recovery when opening disk management. What should I do with this one? From 35 GB to 100 GB? Hopefully someone can help me.

Solution
Hello guys. Recently, I cloned my OS from an old ssd(120GB) to a new one(240 GB). The OS with some other files is about 35GB in capacity. After Cloning, I noticed the new SSD took around 100GB capacity. I dont understand. I was thinking it must be the recovery files, but cant find any recovery when opening disk management. What should I do with this one? From 35 GB to 100 GB? Hopefully someone can help me.

First of all, what software did you use to clone? and what method did you pick? DISK to DISK?

If yes, I would NOT recommend that, but clone out your old SSD into an image first, then clone that image into new SSD.

wong93

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012

First of all, what software did you use to clone? and what method did you pick? DISK to DISK?

If yes, I would NOT recommend that, but clone out your old SSD into an image first, then clone that image into new SSD.

Reactions: Computermaster04
Solution

Computermaster04

Prominent
Aug 6, 2020
I used minitool partition wizard and yes, disk to disk. . Do you mind if I ask how to clone it to disk image first? I am not sure how to do that. And what program do you suggest? Thank you.

wong93

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012
I used minitool partition wizard and yes, disk to disk. . Do you mind if I ask how to clone it to disk image first? I am not sure how to do that. And what program do you suggest? Thank you.

I have personally used GHOST & True Image to clone more than 2000 laptops and desktops;
I would suggest True Image for your case.

For Disk to Image, it is basically similar to how you do it for Disk to Disk.

- Before starting, pick disk to image instead of disk to disk-

First pick a source = your old ssd
Secondly, pick the destination = connect to an external drive, and pick this location, just like how you would normally save a file into USB
Third, proceed with it

Once done you will get an image in the external drive

Now run the software again, pick the image in the external drive as your source, then your new SSD as destination, once done your new SSD will be exactly like how your old SSD looks and partitioned.

Do take note that after cloning, there might be some extra space being shown as "Unallocated" in Disk Management, simply just add them into existing partition (this is due to 120gb>240gb, if 240gb>240gb clone, there won't be such case)

Iggyau

Reputable
May 11, 2020

If you are cloning a smaller 120gb ssd to a bigger 240gb ssd, I would use clonezilla to do a block by block clone. Could also try Macrium Reflect if you don't want to deal with a scary looking linux text based interface.