CNN Titles Apple Tablet as 'The Everything Killer'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenoin

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
10- 12-inch touchscreen, a high-end graphics card that will enable "stunning resolution,"; "learned its lesson" in charging $599 for the first iPhone

This woman clearly knows absolutely nothing about graphics cards or the apple business model.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I have a hard time believing Apple is going to be releasing a 12" tablet for $599 or less but if they DO launch it for that price I'll be buying one. Don't have anything really portable in my arsenal (cell phones don't count) and this would seem to fit the bill nicely. Browse the web with finger input on the couch, watch videos, listen to music, or hook it up to a bluetooth keyboard/mouse and treat it like a regular netbook.

The "everything killer", however, sounds absolutely ridiculous. Really? Everything? They are using the word everything? As in it's a gaming laptop killer as well? Come on.

These people seem to think it will be a phone carrier supported device. Which I hope it is not. I have always wanted a mac tablet. But to be a notebook replacement. As I would prefer to hand write notes or letters rather than type them in.

The biggest advantage of a tablet to me is to be able to stand and write which is impossiple on a notebook computer without a surface to set it on. Which is useless if you are walking around taking notes. Say at a store or a jobsite.

As for portable internet it is neat but I do not need it. And would not buy such a device from any company were I am stuck paying a monthly fee for internet.

Though if it is heavily discounted by carriers. I would probably just look at the discounted price plus the cancelling contract fee to see if that total is worth it for the iTab.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
A price range would be nice...personally I don't think a tablet needs "stunning graphics" at least gaming wise, but a decent card for atleast 720p without stuttering would be a definite.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]ac21365[/nom]Not sure what kind of demand there'll be for a tablet-sized itouch, outside of the smug crowd.[/citation]

Probably no demand at all in the rabid PC fanboy crowd that you reside in.

rand_79

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
well its not a phone replacement how do you put a 10" tablet in your pocket or belt holster... it would definitely kick netbooks in the butt.
possibly some laptops.

Everything killer isnt accurate but I could see it being wildly popular in its niche. Then again its apple so while it would sell good at 599$ they will price it at 999$ or 599$ with 2 year contract.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I like how apple still advertises under-powered graphics cards but tries to explain how they have great resolution and color, like that hasn't been the case since the late 90's. Stupid people eat that crap up though don't thay?

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]TwoDigital[/nom]Again... these things have been available for YEARS and they're pretty neat (if you like Macs.)http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=modbook[/citation]

Except Axiotron is ridiculously expensive. The cheapest tablet on there is $1650 which is almost three times the "estimated" Apple tablet price. Even if you provide your own Macbook the modding service alone costs $700. Way too expensive.

toastninja17

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
First off, fuck CNN, honestly. Ok, got that out of the way. And once again, Apple are being the self-centered egotistical company we all hate and love. If this report is true, I won't lie, I would definitely be interested. It's essentially a combination of many, many technologies that already exist, but that are configured in a matter that can do most everything an iPod touch can (assuming this can't make phone calls) and more, and with a much bigger and prettier screen.

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
it will cost $999 for the base model and $500 extra if you want the touch screen - then you have to log on to itunes every time it starts and pay your subscription

toastninja17

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Oh, and if it's integrated graphics and anything less than a 2GHz dual core, forget about it. Anything under that is NOT worth $600...oh wait, nevermind, it's Apple, so I really won't be surprised if I end up getting ripped off.

toastninja17

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
and to tayb's comment "The "everything killer", however, sounds absolutely ridiculous. Really? Everything? They are using the word everything? As in it's a gaming laptop killer as well? Come on."

Amen to that.

G

Wow... all this build up reminds me of the Segway. All that build up for something that only a few people will care about or use. I love Macs, I own four plus a slew of ipods and an iphone, however I have no plans of buying this thing, partly out of annoyance at everyone acting like this is the second coming.

sidran32

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
I have had my HP Pavilion tx2500z for over a year. A great ultraportable and the screen swivels down so it can be used as a tablet PC. Took all my notes in college last year in OneNote. It was the best investment I made that year. My only regret was that I didn't do it earlier, since that was my last year in college.

Apple is late in the game.

kansur0

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
I think this device will be huge for the music industry. There are already instruments like synths that use visual interface for designing sound. Custom layouts for parameter grids. Manipulation of any control configuration you could possibly imagine. The possibilities are endless.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Until I see the video, I'm going to say fake. I don't see or read anything about the kid being dragged around Walmart. And if it is real, the two guys must be retarded. That news segment from the video on the link was equally retarded. I guess local news stations suck no matter where you live. Getting reactions from stupid moms saying they're so scared and that they have young children. Yeah, because there's going to be a huge rash of console related crimes. Maybe your six year old will get kidnapped and forced to buy a PS3. Or are they that stupid and sheltered to believe that crime doesn't exist where they live?

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Yea right, Apples idea of a high end graphics card is an Nvidia 9400, based of the old G80 8400 core of 4 years ago..., no thanks..., and just quit lying to people.

Status
Not open for further replies.