[SOLVED] COD MW NAT type trouble 2019

Dec 21, 2019
The router I use is the N300 WNR2000v5

I desperately need help with COD MW 2019. My NAT type will change from open to moderate seemingly at random within the game. It will go a certain amount of games on open and then it will be moderate out of nowhere. My router is hooked up via Ethernet cable to my landlords router on the other side of the house. We don't live in the same place basically. My PS4 is hooked up to my router via Ethernet.

So I don't understand. I forwarded the correct ports for COD MW and it still happened. So I tried enabling the DMZ. Didn't work. So I tried upnp. Didn't work either. I tried enabling everything at once as a side note. Like I tried all methods simultaneously. Also different combinations. Maybe that's the issue? I just don't know. Maybe I should get rid of the ports I have enabled and turn off upnp along with turning off DMZ.

I set a static ip for my PS4 which I use in correlation with the 3 methods. I just don't really understand what I can do to troubleshoot what will work I feel like I've tried it all.

Thank you for any feedback.

EDIT: I should probably mention that I changed other settings as well. I put my router into QOS mode and put my PS4 as the highest priority. I changed the router wireless channel from "auto" to "11" and the max bandwidth from "150 mbps" to "300 mbps". I also enabled this game feature that lets me set my upload speed to a certain amount. I set it to 9 because that was what I'd get on a speed test on average.

I also messed with the WAN, and LAN settings, and left the advertisement length to 30 minutes with a hop rate of 4. I have no clue if I should change those things or what.

I guess what I need is someone to just help me optimize all of this, tell me the order I need to test the methods to open the NAT type, and when or if I should restart my PS4 or router after changing settings in my router admin page.

One thing I do notice is that if I just leave my game sitting without doing anything it disconnects eventually and when I connect back to Athens COD servers the NAT type has changed from OPEN to MODERATE. I don't know why this happens either. None of it makes sense to me.
Maybe I need to just reset my router and someone can tell me exactly what to change and what not to idk. I'm sorry for the measures of this post but I just want to give whoever reads this as much info as possible. Which reminds me idk what to set the DHCP values to. It's defaults are 2-254 and it's on but idk. Thanks again.

Solution
I am surprised you get the NAT to be anything other than strict unless you are making these changes in the landlord router.

You do not have a actual public IP address, you have the private ones assigned by your landlords router. The concept of port forwarding and UPnP is designed assist in the NAT sharing of the public IP.

This is the same issue as is your ISP (ie your landlord) does not give you a public ip. Unlike a real ISP your landlord only has the 1 IP given to him by the ISP. There is even a chance that the ISP does not even give your landlord a public IP.

Although it is some risk you could plug your PS4 directly into the landlords network.
I am surprised you get the NAT to be anything other than strict unless you are making these changes in the landlord router.

You do not have a actual public IP address, you have the private ones assigned by your landlords router. The concept of port forwarding and UPnP is designed assist in the NAT sharing of the public IP.

This is the same issue as is your ISP (ie your landlord) does not give you a public ip. Unlike a real ISP your landlord only has the 1 IP given to him by the ISP. There is even a chance that the ISP does not even give your landlord a public IP.

Although it is some risk you could plug your PS4 directly into the landlords network.

Solution