Code 12 in Windows 2000

agent

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2002
Anyone seen the following error mesage in Windows 2000?

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

It is a Trident 9800PCI card. Old sucker. Can't get the driver to load properly. Windows uses the Trident Video Accelerator 96xx/938x driver for this card.

Always remember, you are unique...just like everyone else. :wink:

dhlucke

Polypheme
Whatever card that is, it must suck. I can't even find anything about it. Trident was bought out last year by xgi I believe.

Did you just switch to Win2000?

</font color=red><i><font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS </font color=blue><font color=red>AMERICA

DonnieDarko

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2004
I've never heard of a 9800 pci card. Ever. Nor do I think anyone else on these boards have. So where did you get such a card?

Watch out for the <b><font color=red>bloody</font color=red></b> Fanboys!

AMD64 2800+ :: MSI Neo-Fis2r :: 1024mb Kingmax ddr400 :: Sapphire 9800pro 128mb :: 10K WD Raptor

Addicted, finally.

agent

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2002
It's an old old card I got from a friend who was getting rid of stuff about 5 years ago. Did I mention it is old? I'm using it because my Geforce 2 died a couple of weeks ago. I've been using Windows 2000 since 2002.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Never heard of that error, but I haven't used the Trident 9800 on anything newer than Windows 3.1, and not on PCI either. I have a couple video cards with that chip - one running on the *gasp* ISA bus, and one from that 32-bit bus that extended the 486's primary bus... umm, VLB? Yah, VESA Local Bus!!! lol Didn't know they made a PCI version of that old video decellerator. That is a very old card...

However...

Lets see, from the error message, it's not so much a video card problem as it is a windows resources problem. Go into the device manager and look at the resource usage of the card. Then see if you can find a configuration (may have to switch it to manual) that will load without conflicts. If not, you can try disabling unneeded devices - like Serial ports that aren't used, or the parallel printer port if you don't use it, etc.

Try a different PCI slot or play with the PCI settings in the BIOS - you may be able to make it work by reassigning irq's, however I think the problem is more that that card expects to have lots of allocation space available in the memory space between 640k and 1meg, and maybe will never work right under 2k.

Hope it helps, I'm really racking my old brain for taht data... (and no one ask about the Commodore 64 - its been out in the garage too long)...

Mike.

agent

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2002
Wow, thanks. Yeah, I would feel better if there were any conflicts, but strangely there isn't any in Windows so it rules that out. Crap, I didn't think about the first meg limitation though. It's been so long since I worked on DOS that I forgot about it. I thought the OS handles memory allocation though? Is it possible that the instructions are hard coded on the card itself?

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
All PCI cards are supposed to have their memory requirements and options available for the PCI controller to read. Some older cards only gave a couple options for resources however, limiting what IRQ-I/O-RAM addresses it would work with. That may be what you are seeing.

Try putting the card into all the different PCI slots to see if you can get one to work, and try disabling onboard devices in BIOS (most people don't use their serial ports or parallel ports any more even though they're there).

That's about the only other things I can think of.

Mike.

agent

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2002
Didn't work. Maybe there's no hope to the card. Is there anyway to reserve memory space for legacy cards?