Question code 43 with 965m gpu on hp omen 15

Jul 27, 2019
I bought this laptop from somebody. First nvidia 965m was properly showing in task manager and I was able to open nvidia settings by right clicking on desktop. Then i installed a game "Prey". I started playing this game and i noticed that the fps are just 10 to 12. This game should give me more than 40fps. Then i noticed that nvidia 965m was not showing in task manager and i was not able to open nvidia control panel. I checked device manager and there i found an error.

"Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)".

No driver were upgraded before. I searched on internet and done every thing. updated driver, downgraded driver. downloaded drivers from hp site , downloaded drivers from nvidia site. nothing seem to work.

I even uninstalled window and re installed it but the issue is there as it is.

I dont know this is a driver issue or the hardware issue. graphics card is still detectable. Is there any way i can confirm this is hardware or a driver issue.

please help

The above Error code 43 can be reported anytime when Windows does not recognize a device – whether it's a USB port, Hard drive, video card/GPU, or any other piece of hardware connected to the computer.

Most of the time, error code 43 means that a device driver is either missing, corrupt, and/or outdated (so Windows has problems communicating properly with the hardware), or the hardware is faulty and needs to be replaced.

This error code points out that the Hardware might also be defective, which is the GPU. But we can't jump to any conclusion, as of now...

Error code 43 is a generic message that typically indicates a problem with the hardware or software in Windows operating system. This error is often reported in Windows Device Manager. If you encounter this error with your graphics card, here are some troubleshooting ideas that may help fix it.

1) Update your graphics card driver.

2) Make sure your system is updated with the latest SBIOS and Windows updates

3) Check to make sure your system power supply meets the minimum recommended power requirement for your card (not applicable in your case, since you have a laptop).

4) If your card needs additional power, make sure the PCIe supplemental power connector is plugged into the card (not applicable in your case, since you have a laptop).

5) Replace the Laptop as it may be defective

Code 43 can mostly happens either if drivers fail or the hardware fails. Other option is that your GPU or motherboard slot failed. If your motherboard has more then one PCIe x16 slot, you can move GPU to another slot to rule out motherboard failure. Or you should test GPU in another machine to confirm that problem lies in the card (not applicable in your case, since you have a laptop).

Last edited:
Reactions: umarie12
Jul 27, 2019
Thank you for your kind reply.
As i had mentioned that this is a laptop and i cant swap this gpu with another computer.
i had updated graphics and update windows
i also uninstalled windows and reinstalled it but nothing issue is the same code43.

As i had mentioned that this is a laptop and i cant swap this gpu with another computer.

Yes, I know that you are having a Laptop....That's why I wrote this in my previous message, ""(not applicable in your case, since you have a laptop). ""

Are you on a FRESH Windows OS install ? Is your LAPTOP full up to date with the latest system drivers, firmware, and BIOS as well ? What does BIOS say about your Video card ?

Sorry for the delay though....I kind of overlooked this thread, and your reply.

Jul 27, 2019
thanks for your replay.
i installed fresh copy of windows 10 after trying every thing. but the issue continued. even with this window. every driver is latest version. Bios does not show gpu.
I want to confirm that this is a driver issue or hardware issue. if this is hardware issue then its a big problem and tell me can it be fixed.

I can't really comment on whether this can be fixed or not, and if this is indeed a hardware issue, chances are slim, at least in my opinion. I don't have much experience/knowledge when it comes to LAPTOP repairing though.

Maybe others might shed some light on this issue. It also depends on what type of damage has been done, and assuming we could replace the GPU on your current Laptop, but I think your laptop comes without an MXM slot (where the graphics cards go in a laptop if they're not soldered).

Except for returning it there's no way to get a new GPU in there. Even if there was an MXM slot, such graphics cards are hard to come by and are very expensive.

Almost all Laptops that have dedicated graphics cards, those cards are permanently attached to the motherboard (soldered) and are not meant to be changed. Also this will void your warranty if you tamper with it.

Btw, just give this a read when you have time:

https://forums.tomsguide.com/threads/successful-mxm-gpu-upgraded-laptops.418038/

https://forums.tomsguide.com/threads/list-of-mxm-gpus-and-resellers.418045/

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2019
I can't really comment on whether this can be fixed or not, and if this is indeed a hardware issue, chances are slim, at least in my opinion. I don't have much experience/knowledge when it comes to LAPTOP repairing though.

Maybe others might shed some light on this issue. It also depends on what type of damage has been done, and assuming we could replace the GPU on your current Laptop, but I think your laptop comes without an MXM slot (where the graphics cards go in a laptop if they're not soldered).

Except for returning it there's no way to get a new GPU in there. Even if there was an MXM slot, such graphics cards are hard to come by and are very expensive.

Almost all Laptops that have dedicated graphics cards, those cards are permanently attached to the motherboard (soldered) and are not meant to be changed. Also this will void your warranty if you tamper with it.

Btw, just give this a read when you have time:

https://forums.tomsguide.com/threads/successful-mxm-gpu-upgraded-laptops.418038/

https://forums.tomsguide.com/threads/list-of-mxm-gpus-and-resellers.418045/

ok thanks.

TRENDING THREADS