[SOLVED] Coil Whine from PSU continues after PSU upgrade

Tinreo

Reputable
Mar 30, 2019
Hi everyone,

For a while I've been having this problem with my computer where it makes this buzzing noise constantly. The noise comes from the power supply but I can also hear it from the GPU/CPU area. It's not very loud but I can hear it all the time. When I play games the buzzing gets worse at the GPU but stays the same everywhere else. Everything with my computer works fine it's just the buzzing noise.

I thought that the noise was caused by my PSU because I heard that coil whine in PSUs can sometimes be heard in other parts of the computer so I got a new PSU. The PSU I got is the EVGA supernova 750 p2. Before I put the PSU in my computer I used the tester that came in the box with the PSU and I heard no buzzing noise. Because of this I think that it might be caused just by my GPU but any help is appreciated!

Here is a video explaining what I mean:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRzREfqPPWE

Solution
Yes, coil whine is often a product of the GPU. About the only time I have ever heard a noise out of a PSU not in relation to a bad fan was if it was failing or having too much draw. Typically both of those scenarios are short lived.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes, coil whine is often a product of the GPU. About the only time I have ever heard a noise out of a PSU not in relation to a bad fan was if it was failing or having too much draw. Typically both of those scenarios are short lived.

Solution

Tinreo

Reputable
Mar 30, 2019

Is it possible that GPU coil whine can be heard from the PSU or other parts of the computer? Because that's what I'm hearing in my system.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Is it possible that GPU coil whine can be heard from the PSU or other parts of the computer? Because that's what I'm hearing in my system.

I am not sure how to answer that...but will ask a question of my own which I hope will help.

Are you on a CPU with iGPU (onboard graphics)?
If so, utilize that, unhook the GPU, and see if the whine goes away. While you have the case open you should readily be able to check the other fans, such as case fans, and CPU cooler to see if the perceived noise is coming from them.

I find myself in a sort of unlucky/lucky spot that I have rather severe tinnitus. My ears ring very loudly, all the time and high pitched noises like that don't register at all.

Tinreo

Reputable
Mar 30, 2019
I am not sure how to answer that...but will ask a question of my own which I hope will help.

Are you on a CPU with iGPU (onboard graphics)?
If so, utilize that, unhook the GPU, and see if the whine goes away. While you have the case open you should readily be able to check the other fans, such as case fans, and CPU cooler to see if the perceived noise is coming from them.

I find myself in a sort of unlucky/lucky spot that I have rather severe tinnitus. My ears ring very loudly, all the time and high pitched noises like that don't register at all.

My CPU is Ryzen 5 3600 so I can't do that unfortunately, but that is a good idea.

I'm just going to assume that my GPU is the culprit because I really can't think what else would be the problem. I guess it could be my fan hub but the coil whine was present before I got it so I doubt it. Same thing with my RAM, motherboard and AIO cooler. I was really certain that getting a new PSU would fix it but since it didn't I can only assume that the GPU is the problem. It is strange though because I've never heard of a GPU making coil whine sounds in the PSU. I guess I just got unlucky.

Thanks for replying, though.

TRENDING THREADS