[SOLVED] Coil Whine

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AstelZero

Prominent
Feb 8, 2020
I have a coil whine problem, to start off it's not PSU, I changed it. Last week I bought RX 580 Nitro+.
When I play any game it starting to coil whine, sound is so loud that I can't even describe you how loud it is.
Today I have taken the graphics card to pc local repair shop, theye tested the graphics card and it's working properly on their motherboards without any coil whine.
Now the funny part. When I do AIDA64 GPU + CPU benchmark it dosen't coil whine on GPU test. Coil whine happens in CPU - FPU test?
Ryzen 3 3200GE
Gigabyte GA-A320MSH V2
If somone could point me out is CPU the problem or the freaking cheap motherboard.

AstelZero

Prominent
Feb 8, 2020
definitely not "coil whine" or any type of fan noise. i would agree with the others that it is an alarm signal from the motherboard.

try running Windows Memory Diagnostic and/or MEMTEST and see what, if any, errors are reported.

what do you think the glowing thing directly above your CPU blowing out of the top of the case is? :unsure:
My lil friends are glowing :p
The Windows Memory Diagnostic tested the computer's memory and detected no errors

if you can, contact motherboard support directly via phone or chat. let them hear the alarm live or through your video and tell you exactly what is triggering it.

i would try reseating the memory in each available slot, 1 - 4. and see if it may be a bad DIMM slot other than a bad stick of RAM.
check your motherboard user manual for warnings/errors and see what it states for alarms or error lights.

it could very well be some other type of warning other than memory. have you had any crashes or odd behavior besides the alarm sounding?
usually the system will just throttle and/or shutdown if temps reach too high. but try monitoring the CPU and system temperatures while in use with something like Core Temp.

I thought it was graphics card all along, I paid 5$ for the graphics card testing today!! :(
I even paid 100$ for new psu :mad:
RAM: HyperX 8GB Fury 2400mhz

You can return the PSU no?

Oh and by the way just for your information running only 1 stick of ram is a bad idea on any system. You're running in single channel memory instead of dual channel when you use 2 sticks.

it cripples your memory bandwidth by half. Expect a big difference in FPS in some titles.

Always buy your RAM in pair for dual channel and from a kit.

AstelZero

Prominent
Feb 8, 2020
You can return the PSU no?

Oh and by the way just for your information running only 1 stick of ram is a bad idea on any system. You're running in single channel memory instead of dual channel when you use 2 sticks.

it cripples your memory bandwidth by half. Expect a big difference in FPS in some titles.

Always buy your RAM in pair for dual channel and from a kit.
I'll be getting by end of June Cooler Master S400, fans, one more stick and m.2 ssd
Currently I'm playing kingdom come deliverance, metro exodus, and more games.
Average fps for all games is around 120+ ( I didn't even overclock the gpu or processor).
Anyways I can't return the PSU
But I had 450w low quality one, so I'm pretty happy with this upgrade atleast.

I'll be getting by end of June Cooler Master S400, fans, one more stick and m.2 ssd
careful when purchasing more RAM. a lot of single sticks do not run well when paired together, even being the same make/model with the same speed & timings. it may be a better idea to get a dual channel kit and try selling the single 8GB stick.

glad you found an easy culprit and solved the current issue. good luck in the future.

racecar56

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
Just to clear it up for everybody, including anyone else who comes along this thread: this is Gigabyte's hardware monitoring warning beep. Stopping the fan with your finger will cause the tachometer reporting the speed of the fan to show that it is no longer spinning, and the motherboard will sound its alarm. It may apply to high CPU temperatures as well, but I'm less sure about that one, since it's been a long time.

This can be adjusted in the H/W monitoring options in the BIOS.

P.S.: I recognized that beep immediately upon hearing it in the video, my old GA-770T-USB3 back in 2010 did the same thing.

Hope this helps.