[SOLVED] College/Computer Science Laptop

DNTLSS RNGR

Prominent
May 28, 2019
Hey, guys!

I'm a CS student looking for a new laptop. I have a gaming PC that I use for the most part and have a Predator Helios 300 that I'm trying to sell. I thought I was going to play video games a lot in college, but after 2 years, I barely touch Steam/Epic/Origin so having a gaming laptop that dies in 2 hours, is heavy and thick, just isn't preferred. It's also had so many issues, but I haven't bothered to send it under my warranty. I finally filed a case for them to fix the GPU issues it has. After that, I plan on selling it since I don't want to just sell a laptop that is having issues to pass on the problem to someone else.

So, to get to my question. I'm in the market for a new laptop to take notes and code-on-the-go with. I don't need anything with a dedicated GPU since I have my desktop for gaming and any coding projects that would require a beefier system. I don't care for a touch screen. I really just want something that is light, thin, lasts all day, has a good track pad and keyboard, thin bezels. I think my max is $1500, but would rather be in the ballpark of a grand. I really like the look of Macbooks, but I've always used windows and android. Surface Laptops rival the looks of the Macbook, but both can get pretty expensive when specing out one's needs.

So far, I'm looking at these:
Dell Inspiration 15 7591 https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/sho...on-15-7000-laptop/spd/inspiron-15-7591-laptop
Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 https://www.bestbuy.com/site/micros...est-model-matte-black/6374340.p?skuId=6374340
Macbook Pro 15"

Ask for any further information, if necessary!

Thank you!

Solution
The Dell and Surface will both meet your needs. Be sure to look for student discounts from each. Same for Apple if you go that route. That way, your $$$ goes farther.

While 8GB of memory will meet your basic needs, 16GB is better (I would suggest).

I use a regular Surface at work, and it has been excellent. I assume the laptop version would be a quality device, except I am not a fan of the 8GB config. The Dell is more flexible in the options you can choose.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The Dell and Surface will both meet your needs. Be sure to look for student discounts from each. Same for Apple if you go that route. That way, your $$$ goes farther.

While 8GB of memory will meet your basic needs, 16GB is better (I would suggest).

I use a regular Surface at work, and it has been excellent. I assume the laptop version would be a quality device, except I am not a fan of the 8GB config. The Dell is more flexible in the options you can choose.

Solution
Hey, guys!

I'm a CS student looking for a new laptop. I have a gaming PC that I use for the most part and have a Predator Helios 300 that I'm trying to sell. I thought I was going to play video games a lot in college, but after 2 years, I barely touch Steam/Epic/Origin so having a gaming laptop that dies in 2 hours, is heavy and thick, just isn't preferred. It's also had so many issues, but I haven't bothered to send it under my warranty. I finally filed a case for them to fix the GPU issues it has. After that, I plan on selling it since I don't want to just sell a laptop that is having issues to pass on the problem to someone else.

So, to get to my question. I'm in the market for a new laptop to take notes and code-on-the-go with. I don't need anything with a dedicated GPU since I have my desktop for gaming and any coding projects that would require a beefier system. I don't care for a touch screen. I really just want something that is light, thin, lasts all day, has a good track pad and keyboard, thin bezels. I think my max is $1500, but would rather be in the ballpark of a grand. I really like the look of Macbooks, but I've always used windows and android. Surface Laptops rival the looks of the Macbook, but both can get pretty expensive when specing out one's needs.

Dell Inspiration 15 7591 https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/sho...on-15-7000-laptop/spd/inspiron-15-7591-laptop
Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 https://www.bestbuy.com/site/micros...est-model-matte-black/6374340.p?skuId=6374340
Macbook Pro 15"

Thank you!

For coding MacOS is friendlier I've heard due to it being based off UNIX but if you're used to windows I don't know how easy the switch will be. You can boot camp but battery isn't great on windows. I'd look at the Air with 16GB and 256GB. Costs 1499 but you probably can get that knocked down with student discount.

noyaus

Honorable
Jul 15, 2016
Hey, guys!

Macbook Pro 15"

Thank you!

I had a Surface Pro 4 which I used for taking notes and coding using visual studio and dreamweaver and photo editing using photshop. So far the battery life worked really well for me during school hours and it's flexibility allowed me to take pictures of notes, write on my screen and other class content way easier than my friends who had like Macs and low-mid end laptops. I used my Surface Pro 4 for about 3 years and then I got myself the new Surface Laptop 3. I have to say it is excellent. One of the best devices I have used. very powerful, light and it has the same specs/functionalities as the Surface Pro 4 but a tad bit better and newer cores etc.