[SOLVED] Combine two internet signals ?

mercyvs

Reputable
Aug 20, 2018
Hello, i have the following scenario: My internet connection is... Trash, it just doesnt work most of the time so i have to rely on my phone but i want to use my computer, it's 3 MBPS so around 200-300 KBPS in the evening or when it works... Its the DSL i have in my bedroom, but i also own 2 other DSL with internet incluided, another 3 MBPS and one 6 MBPS, the 6 mbps one is the one im interested in, its kinda far away from the house im staying in, but still in a really good wifi range, i tried connecting to it on my pc and voala, downloading Dark Souls 1 turned into a 4-5 day download to a 1:30 hours download ( which for Venezuela is really fast ) so i started using it more and more, the connection i have right next to me fixed itself and now works, does not gives me the 300 kbps it should but atleast its something, and i was wondering if there is a way to combine both speeds, so i get 1 MBPS or more constantly, i have to connect my phone to my computer and enable usb internet sharing and my pc has a direct ethernet connection to the other one, does this fuse the connections? or is there another way to do it? Downloading Killing Floor 2 is a pain in my butt, and this would kinda lift it up a little :D

Sorry for my bad english and awful explaining skills lol

Solution
You can't really combine them into a single connection to get faster download of a single file. With a lot of effort you can download 2 different files on the 2 different connections or you could say run netflix on 1 and everything else on the other.

The magic command you need to use it ROUTE. It is going to be a lot of effort though. You have to tell the machine exactly what sites by ip address that you want to use certain connections.

So the first step is you need to have your wifi adapter on say network 192.168.1.x and the ethernet on say 192.168.2.x. There are even more complex ways to do this with both routers on the same network.

What now do is use the route command to delete the 0.0.0.0 router for the connection...
You can't really combine them into a single connection to get faster download of a single file. With a lot of effort you can download 2 different files on the 2 different connections or you could say run netflix on 1 and everything else on the other.

The magic command you need to use it ROUTE. It is going to be a lot of effort though. You have to tell the machine exactly what sites by ip address that you want to use certain connections.

So the first step is you need to have your wifi adapter on say network 192.168.1.x and the ethernet on say 192.168.2.x. There are even more complex ways to do this with both routers on the same network.

What now do is use the route command to delete the 0.0.0.0 router for the connection that is NOT your default on. This will leave all traffic to only use the one you did not delete. You now put in route command for each IP destination you want to use the secondary connection.

With enough effort you can partially use both connections.

Solution
As explained here, the answer is "no, but kind of". I have a Multi-WAN setup at home, which is as close you can get to what you want. I use a multi-wan capable router to load balance the two WAN connections. As explained, no single connection will be able to use both at the same time, but things that spread among multiple connections can (like torrent, for example).

In my case, I balance two fiber connections (300mbps and 360 mbps). Here's a result from a multi-stream bandwidth test:

View: https://imgur.com/a/HeS0qWG

If you don't have access to a multiwan router, you could do it in software, using a virtual pfsense box, for instance.

Mar 30, 2022
As explained here, the answer is "no, but kind of". I have a Multi-WAN setup at home, which is as close you can get to what you want. I use a multi-wan capable router to load balance the two WAN connections. As explained, no single connection will be able to use both at the same time, but things that spread among multiple connections can (like torrent, for example).

In my case, I balance two fiber connections (300mbps and 360 mbps). Here's a result from a multi-stream bandwidth test:

View: https://imgur.com/a/HeS0qWG

If you don't have access to a multiwan router, you could do it in software, using a virtual pfsense box, for instance.

As I am using the same scenario of yours (2 Fiber connection 300/360) and in dual wan mode, I am curious if you are using two different ONT GPON (Fiber modem) or you are using one modem with two different PPPoE connections on the same modem (one Fiber modem with 2 WAN connections).

You answer would help me a lot solving my recent problem.
If you need to know more about my issue, you can kindly take a look at my question here.

Thank you in advanced.

As I am using the same scenario of yours (2 Fiber connection 300/360) and in dual wan mode, I am curious if you are using two different ONT GPON (Fiber modem) or you are using one modem with two different PPPoE connections on the same modem (one Fiber modem with 2 WAN connections).

You answer would help me a lot solving my recent problem.
If you need to know more about my issue, you can kindly take a look at my question here.

Thank you in advanced.

I use two ONT GPON, one from each ISP. I read your post and I agree the issue is probably between the ONT and the ISP. In my setup I didn't change anything on the GPON side.