Discussion Community Questions: What do you think of AMD's 50th Anniversary?

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016
Its an open secret that the Tom’s Hardware Community has its fair share of AMD fanboys and fangirls. We would argue that AMD’s never ending rivalry with Intel is one of the reasons why AMD continues to be a beloved organization to computer hardware enthusiasts worldwide. Even if you’re not an AMD fanboy, it’s hard not to appreciate the continued competition AMD provides for Intel. In honor of AMD’s 50th anniversary, the Community Team wanted to open the floor to all of you: what’s your favorite AMD memory? Is there a particular CPU that put you on Team Red? Are you an Intel user that still respects the other x86? Let us know what you think in the comments below.

I think, Zen+ is the closest they have come to Intel and pretty hard too. Looking at how speculations are shaping up, they might be even able to pull off a one up on Intel with their Zen2 iteration. But knowing Intels histrionics, they dont take stuff sitting quietly.

Nevertheless, above and beyond everything, we all gotta admit how it has profoundly impacted the dynamics of the current CPU market balance. There is no denying that without Ryzens competition, Intel would not have been where it is today. In a matter of 2yrs they just literally doubled the core count after selling the same crap for almost 10 yrs. They still need to work on the price factor though.

The times ahead will be pretty exciting for the CPU market. More power to the consumers. Cheers... :giggle:

tmehrl

Honorable
Aug 16, 2017
My favorite AMD memories.

Built my 1st system using an AMD 40-MHz 386. Remember how slow CAD software was with the CPU emulating floating point instructions. Got to the point where each small drawing edit took 1 minute and 20 seconds for the screen to redraw. After adding a 387 co-processor the same redraw took only 2 seconds (40 times faster) ! That dramatic experience has motivated me to overclock my hardware throughout the years.

Once had a slot-A 600-MHz Athlon which I hard-modded to operate at a multiplier of 7 (rather than 6) and with the front side clock set to 117 MHz (rather than 100) I happily operated my system at 820 MHz (rather than 600).

Currently running an overclocked AMD rx 580 Sapphire video card with a I5-2550K @ 4.7-GHz. My next system will likely be Navi/Ryzen 3. Go AMD :bounce:

Reactions: salgado18

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i always appreciate bang for the buck with my pc gear. and AMD has always won this important measure for me.

i've only every built one intel system and that was a 4690k i bought when AMD had literally nothing to compete with it. Looking forward to AMD actually being ahead with Ryzen 3000 series for a little while. Intel for sure will hit back but until they get 10 nm working (or whatever they are gonna do next gen) i don't think they got anything else to offer. seems they have milked 14 nm for all they can at this point.

GO COMPETITION GO!!!!

I used to be a hardcore ATI user. Started with my 9700Pro stuck with them well into the AMD purchase. However recent ones pushed me off as their performance, especially power for the R9 200 series, wasn't up to my expectations. Last GPU I got was the HD 7970GHz. Then I moved to nVidia with a 980Ti and that got a free upgrade to a 1080 so I have been there for a few years.

I see Intel and AMD as the same. Both are companies trying to "earn" your dollar. I typically like Intels platform as I feel they move forward faster than AMD and while its nice to have a newer CPU that is the fastest thing in a PC these days. Everything else still needs to catch up. However Zen 2 might be a turning point and put AMD ahead on the platform side. We shall see.

I am waiting to do a full new build and will judge the CPUs then but am looking to do a new system for my girl and already have a Zen+ system to build. Its hard to beat the price and since she is not a hard core gamer it will work better than her archaic Phenom II X4 965.

teatreepanda

Prominent
May 28, 2018
I always choose AMD if they have something in the mix. I believe you need to keep the competitor alive. It really paid off with the great stuff they have for me now.

I love an underdog. I root for AMD and am happy they have closed the gap so well. That doesn't mean I buy AMD by default. I get whichever has the best package for my budget and needs at the time of purchase. Which, unfortunately, means my last AMD CPU was an Athlon 64 3000+. With current builds. Ryzen would be my choice but I have no need to replace my i5-3570K.

I do buy a lot of AMD GPU though. They typically have the best price to performance. Crypto mining screwed that up several times.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
I do buy a lot of AMD GPU though. They typically have the best price to performance.

i can't think of the last non-ATI/AMD card i have purchased for myself. they usually have what i need at a price i want to pay, so never even consider the other options really. all things being even i do tend to go for the underdog as well. keeps them in the game and keeps the other players honest

I like good value and many time AMD CPUs have been a great buy with performance close to Intel and at a huge savings. At one point 4 of 4 the desktops in my home ran AMD. Now 1 of the 6 Desktops in my home are AMD, But I'm really looking forward to seeing what the AMD 3000 series has to offer and I may have two new AMD desktops after they come out changing the Intel to AMD ration to 3:3.

And I'm interested in seeing what their new GPUs look like, after the RTX joke that Nvidia dumped on the channel with sky high prices I think I'm done with them for awhile.

I choose whichever provides most value per dollar, whether that be a K6-2 /350 or K6-3/450-on socket Super-7, a Slot A Athlon 650, a P3-600A oc'd to 848 or a P3/850 OC'd to 1028 MHz, etc.... I've also had an Athlon XP-1800, Athlon 64/3500+, and, a P4-2400C/800 MHz FSB, AMD A4 laptop, 7700HQ laptop. In short, no loyalty to a 'name' whatsoever...

As for GPUs, I've had Voodoo cards, GF2 MX, , ATI 9700/9800 Pro , 7800GT, GTX1060..; whatever gives '80-90% of top performance at roughly 50-65% of the cost'!

Currently on a 7700K with a GTX1060 (6 GB), but, as soon as I feel this combo stuttering or holding me back, will get whatever (CPU and GPU) is offering 90-95% of the performance for 50-70% of the cost... If AMD's new -3000 CPUs can stomp a 9900K for less money, great, one will be under my desk or TV by year's end...

May 3, 2019
My first AMD computer was a Magitronic (sp?) with an AMD 386DX40 ~$850. It was twice as fast as my employers Compaq with an Intel 386SX20 ~$3500. (Circa *93-94) 2nd Fav AMD, K6II 450 @550 (Circa *97-98) Delided and water cooled with a custom homemade cold plate. This was before you could buy one. Later upgraded to K6III. My favorite is the original Athlon 500 (slot A) (Circa *99). Overclocked to 700 by rearranging the SMD's on the slot A card.. They were about the size of the "E" on a Nickle. Bought (tweezer styled solder iron) to make the mod. Could get higher clocks on the CPU. But, had to reduce the speed of the cache (also adjustable with smd's). Settled on the max, half speed cache, @ 700 with stock air cooler. Later you could buy a mod called "golden fiingers" that you could attach to the top of the card. Here is where we get to my intense hatred of Intel. At that time, the only motherboard you could buy (for Slot A Athlons) was from Asus. It was white box only. If Asus was to print on the box that this was a motherboard for said Athlon's, serious repercussions would result. 3rd is the Opteron with the Barton core. Full 1MB cache compared .5MB on the Athlon. Usable on the same socket and highly overclockable. Favorite Graphics is Matrox millennium. Lost me with G200. Been ATI/AMD ever since.

*My dates may be slightly off. That was a long time ago. :)

May 3, 2019
an open secret that the Tom’s Hardware Community has its fair share of AMD fanboys and fangirls. We would argue that AMD’s never ending rivalry with Intel is one of the reasons why AMD continues to be a beloved organization computer hardware enthusiasts worldwide. Even if you’re not an AMD fanboy, it’s hard not to appreciate the continued competition AMD provides for Intel. In honor of AMD’s 50th anniversary, the Community Team wanted to open the floor to all of you: what’s your favorite AMD memory? Is there a particular CPU that put you on Team Red? Are you an Intel user that still respects the other x86? Let us know what you think in the comments below.

"Need Input"

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj-qBUWOYfE

Last edited:
Reactions: Jsimenhoff

HopperTuringMe

Prominent
Mar 23, 2019
Its an open secret that the Tom’s Hardware Community has its fair share of AMD fanboys and fangirls. We would argue that AMD’s never ending rivalry with Intel is one of the reasons why AMD continues to be a beloved organization to computer hardware enthusiasts worldwide. Even if you’re not an AMD fanboy, it’s hard not to appreciate the continued competition AMD provides for Intel. In honor of AMD’s 50th anniversary, the Community Team wanted to open the floor to all of you: what’s your favorite AMD memory? Is there a particular CPU that put you on Team Red? Are you an Intel user that still respects the other x86? Let us know what you think in the comments below.
50 years ago I was a Uni MN frosh working the midnight shift at IBM. In those good old days, a computer was in a room of its own. There were ashtrays mounted by the glass doors, we were not allowed to smoke in the computer room, so we stood outside and smoked and watched until the job finished. One Job at a time. Batch: "STOP/START/CLEAR/FEED/RUN" Then i

HopperTuringMe

Prominent
Mar 23, 2019
50 years ago I was a Uni MN frosh working the midnight shift at IBM. In those good old days, a computer was in a room of its own. There were ashtrays mounted by the glass doors, we were not allowed to smoke in the computer room, so we stood outside and smoked and watched until the job finished. One Job at a time. Batch: "STOP/START/CLEAR/FEED/RUN" Then I
got interrupted by the American war in South East Asia. Beautiful country, great food, beautiful people, decent weed, and almost far enough away from D.C. to keep life interesting. After Tour 365, I was in D.C. for my remaining indentured servitude. Got into Project Transition in '70 at Strayer, in the ~million retuning grunts, with seven other guys and learned how to code a computer. The class was titled COBOL, but it was a bit more than that. A Marine CPT was the full time teacher and we got many visits from Commodore Grace Hopper. She created COBOL, see: Google. She was pretty much the person that kept the computer world rolling after the very proper Brits murdered Alan Turing for being gay. Earth has several hostile inhabitants. Intel and AMD are following IBM and Comten in the American business zoo story. I worked at Comten. I wrote assembler code and really enjoyed getting my code to outrun IBM's code. It was a joke at IBM that the initials stood for "I Been Moved" so rarely did one person write an entire piece of code or document. They also create tons of pretty documentation which is as good as possible, given the long cast of characters "promoted" to create it. We all live in a "Yellow Submarine". Anyway, now I am in a Geezer Storage Facility with guys who were in submarines in WW2. My wife and I are in a tiny Apt. with this here homebrew PC and I am running an MSI Video Card to a 42" HDMI TV set. I'm 72 years old and never did learn how to type properly. Like billions of young women, I only do this huntin' pecker until the real thing comes along. I use whatever I find to keep busy. This glorified Vic 20 is a 8086 4 banger runnin at 3.3GHz (Cyclles Per Second) in 4 gig of 1333MHz RAM. I am on WiFi and Download ~240Mbs... Everybody on Earth needs to get online and figure out how to get along with all these antiquities that are keeping us supporting wars and governments. Quest! wtf, o? - Alan Jeffrey Marcy

Its an open secret that the Tom’s Hardware Community has its fair share of AMD fanboys and fangirls...etcetera
Meh....not a fanboy...I use what I'm comfortable using, and it works for me.

what’s your favorite AMD memory?
I'm not aware of AMD-manufactured DIMMs.
So far, G.Skill has been a rational selection for DIMMs that coexist nicely with AMD μPs.

Is there a particular CPU that put you on Team Red?
Team Red?
I started with the NEC V-20 (on the PC platform, at any rate), and moved around a bit with their offerings until I hit on the AMD 386DX-40; which, for the day, literally screamed. The price-point and performance of AMD since that time made sense to me, and I am used to working with them. They are a comfortable fit for me.

Are you an Intel user that still respects the other x86?
No.
I am an AMD user who respects intel's technology advances, and appreciates the competition that they represent in the field; while I disdain intel's pricing.

It was good luck for intel that they were able to buy back the the IP rights to the 4004 from Busicom, or this would be a far different μP landscape.

Last edited:
Team RED and Team Blue...I guess I missed the round of draft picks, then.

I could make up a story about how, when I met my wife she was using a '486SX-25, and I was using a '386DX-40, and I converted her to the AMD fold and we all lived happily ever after; but she just doesn't care, and neither do I, really, and she just got her first AMD system for our anniversary....and still doesn't care.

I'll work on something.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jsimenhoff

g-unit1111

Titan
My first rig I ever built myself was based around an Athlon A. Now I'm on a Ryzen R5-2600 on one rig and the other uses a Ryzen R7-1700 and I have plans to buy a R7-3850X. I love that AMD is competitive with Intel again and that Ryzen is grabbing a huge share of the market. Competition is good for the industry, and I most certainly hope that AMD is around another 50 years!