[SOLVED] Computer always crashes during the first boot of the day and restarts with lower performance.

Feb 23, 2020
Specs: https://valid.x86.fr/aeleq1 + PSU: Corsair VS550 550W KPC Bulk Edition (CP-9020097-EU/BULK-KP )
Computer is roughly 4-5 years old and hasnt had much in terms of upgrades except the extra kingston sticks of ram

So about roughly a week ago my computer started crashing rather frequently, it starts stuttering and then completly freezes with scrambled audio. I then realized it always did it sometime during the first boot after a period of having it turned off.
This didnt really bother me too much, sure it was an annoyance having to start my computer twice and it was clear something was wrong with my pc but it wasnt anything too bad considered, however a few days ago i noticed a rather noticeable frame drop when playing monster hunter world. I managed to start up the game on a first boot and catch the fps. I went from around roughly 40fps to around 25-30fps on a second boot.

Im not particulary tech savvy so i got help from a friend and we tested a few things, we ran memtest86 which came out all clear, on the second boot, it froze up the computer rather early during the test on the first boot. We also tested prime 95 which ran fine on a second boot, we ran it for 3 hours on small FFTs. (Have not tried running it on a first boot). The Memtest made us think it was a hardware problem but we tried a last ditch effort and reinstalled windows which did not alleviate the problem.

I did have a problem with my cpu core temps rising which hade been going on for a few months before but it solved itself around 2-3 weeks ago, I presumed it was cause some dust got free when I was moving the computer (I move it quite frequently around once per week). Does anybody have any idea of what could be causing my problem?

Last edited:
Solution
Performance you describe is understandable. Your memory hardware is a mess -
Two different brands, wrong speed 2400MHz, memory modules sold as Singles.

With the set up you bought, use of only one of the Crucial modules is supported.

It appears you wasted your money buying such a combination. A single kit of 2133MHz speed memory is what is supported.

With the set up you bought, use of only one of the Crucial modules is supported.

It appears you wasted your money buying such a combination. A single kit of 2133MHz speed memory is what is supported.

Solution
Feb 23, 2020
That very poor PSU isn't helping. Lowest in the Corsair lineup in terms of quality.
Would you think that the PSU would be the most likely cause for the issue i mentioned or do you think it's just bad.

Hello! Thank you for your answer! We removed the extra ram sticks and it seems the problem has been solved. It feels really weird however because i installed the stick around mid 2017 and as far as i know they have worked fine until now. A little cheeky follow up question aswell if it's not to bothersome, You mentioned that the single kit is what is supported so if i would want to upgrade my RAM what would i need to do?

Edit: Seems i celebrated abit prematurely, i started up the computer after removing the kingston sticks and switching out the psu to a 500wat gold rated Cooler master PSU. It all seemed fine until i tried to start MHW and crashed while loading in to the game.
I rebooted and started MHW to see if the fps had gotten much worse, to my suprise my fps was fine and then i took a few steps and my pc hooked up and crashed again. Seems now perhaps no boot is safe, the now third boot seems to be fine as MHW once again has lowered fps and the computer hasnt stuttered yet.

Last edited:

love.kallman

Prominent
Mar 17, 2018

Hi, I'm the friend. Just to clarify; the Crucial modules are typically sold as singles and cannot be used simultaneously since they are not sold as a 2x4GB kit, am I correct?
Thus, it would work with the 2x4GB kit of 2400Mhz HyperX Fury modules?

We did try to switch out the memory, with only the two HyperX Fury modules in DIMM2 and 4, and it still froze like Voxen described. We could try DIMM1 and 3, in case there is something wrong with the DIMM slots.
Could there be something wrong with the motherboard itself?