Question Computer can connect to internet via a DLAN Powerline Adapter, but not when directly wired in to the router.

Jul 17, 2021
Hi!

So, I recently finally managed to get an ethernet cable wired from my router in the lounge to my office so that I can get faster internet when I'm working / gaming. The issue is, the ethernet cable was working fine, but a few days ago it just stopped. I installed nothing new (to my knowledge and I've run a full scan with no issues detected). Now, I only get the 'Ethernet does not have a valid IP configuration' message. No further explanation is given and it refuses to connect to the internet. When I click on the globe in the bottom left it says 'Unidentified Network : No Internet'.

Ok, so here's where it gets really funny: I thought it could be an issue with the cable and I have two ethernet ports on my PC, so I tried swapping them round. Both ports work absolutely fine with the Powerline Adapter and both ports fail to connect via the ethernet going directly to the router. That noted, the wire going directly to my router works fine with my mac? So...If it can't be a problem with the wire and both ethernet ports work fine with the Powerline adapter...What's the problem?

I've tried the following methods to fix the issue with no success:
  1. Disabling and Enabling the NIC.
  2. Uninstalling and Reinstalling the Network Card Drivers.
  3. Changing my Network Adapter Settings.
  4. Restarting the router.
  5. Disabling IPv6.
  6. Network Troubleshooter (I mean, I wasn't expecting much but by then I was desperate).
  7. Reinstalling TCP / IP settings (netsh winsock reset / netsh int ip reset).
  8. Flushing DNS and resetting TCP/IP.

In particular with number 8: I did it once and it did not fix the issue (and before you ask, yup, I restarted the PC). However, I tried again a day later and now I receive the error warning 'An error occurred while releasing interface Ethernet : An address has not yet been associated with the network endpoint' when I type ipconfig /release in to the cmd prompt.

My internet is god awful through the Powerline and I paid a lot to get that wire up to the office. Please help me to get myself connected again directly to the router and not just suffering my wonderful 300KB/s through the Powerline!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Ralston18

Titan
Are you able to see the cable anywhere along the length of the run?

First to visually inspect and second to read the specs printed on the cable insulation? Copy down the specs and post accordingly.

Who installed the wire?

Call them back to check and test the connection - both ends. Could be that one or more of the terminations came loose.

Or the cable was damaged in some manner that did not immediately appear until the cable got hot somewhere along the run. Or a rodent had dinner....

As for working with the Mac, the Mac may simply be a bit more tolerant with respect to whatever signal strength that the new Ethernet cable is able to provide.

Jul 17, 2021
Are you able to see the cable anywhere along the length of the run?

First to visually inspect and second to read the specs printed on the cable insulation? Copy down the specs and post accordingly.

Who installed the wire?

Call them back to check and test the connection - both ends. Could be that one or more of the terminations came loose.

Or the cable was damaged in some manner that did not immediately appear until the cable got hot somewhere along the run. Or a rodent had dinner....

As for working with the Mac, the Mac may simply be a bit more tolerant with respect to whatever signal strength that the new Ethernet cable is able to provide.

Hey thanks for this. I never saw it and basically gave up on fixing. It was a local handyman who fitted the cable. We're moving ISPs and getting a new router put in so what I'll do is see if that might fix it and call him back to test the connection (unfortunately I don't have a Network Cable Tester myself.