[SOLVED] Computer Case Fan Led Lights Work but Fan Does Not Spin

Jul 31, 2021
Hello,

So I got a brand new PC build and connected all the parts for my computer and everything seemed to work fine, except the computer case fan. It does not spin upon booting up the computer. The case in question is the Thermaltake H550 TG ARGB and has the Gigabyte B450 AORUS Pro motherboard. The computer case fan is already connected to the left side panel of the case (screenshots below). As I turn on the computer, the CPU fan is spinning, the case lighting works, and the computer fan but the fan does not spin.

To rule out any possibilities of the fan or motherboard being the culprit, I ended up buying another computer case fan (CoolerMaster Sickleflow 120 ARGB) and connecting it directly to the motherboard but even then it only lights up that one as well.

I am unsure whether or not the motherboard is at fault or maybe I'm missing something entirely that is obvious to me.

7l9cLFA.jpg
lEuaBbX.jpg

uESV4dN.jpg

Solution
Your first photo shows that fan connected to a small circuit board. There are also three cables from the bottom. The white connector is the OUTPUT to the LIGHTS of something, then a 2-wire connection for (I can't read what), then a 4-wire connection to something else. At the TOP there is a connector for an INPUT of signals from a mobo 3-pin 5 VDC ARGB header, and I cannot tell whether there is a cable connected there.

So, where do those two cables at the board's bottom corner go? And maybe a cable from the top middle? I would expect that ONE of these should be plugged into a power output from your PSU. I suspect the board needs a power supply, and that may be why the fan connected to it is doing nothing. If you find a cable that goes...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

My question is, why is your CPU cooler's fan connected to the SYS_FAN2 header? It should be populating CPU_FAN header at the top of the motherboard. As for the case fan, which header is the fan populating on the motherboard?

Jul 31, 2021
The computer case fan connector is connected to the panel opposite side of the motherboard. The connector pins look like these and the motherboard does not seem to have any ports to accommodate this connector.

It is connected to Fan 1 as seen on screenshot one in the first post.

X2rgCdx.jpg

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Your first photo shows that fan connected to a small circuit board. There are also three cables from the bottom. The white connector is the OUTPUT to the LIGHTS of something, then a 2-wire connection for (I can't read what), then a 4-wire connection to something else. At the TOP there is a connector for an INPUT of signals from a mobo 3-pin 5 VDC ARGB header, and I cannot tell whether there is a cable connected there.

So, where do those two cables at the board's bottom corner go? And maybe a cable from the top middle? I would expect that ONE of these should be plugged into a power output from your PSU. I suspect the board needs a power supply, and that may be why the fan connected to it is doing nothing. If you find a cable that goes nowhere and has a connector on the end, that may be a clue.

NOTE if you need to make a connection from a mobo ARGB header to this board OR to any other ARGB lighting units, your mobo has two such headers - see the mobo manual p. 13, item key 9 for D_LED1 and 2. But ALSO note that you need to set the jumper on a selector pin set for EACH of these two headers - the items key no. 10, for D_LED_SW1 and 2. These are to allow for an older version of ARGB that used 12 VDC power. Almost all current ones - including your little board - are for use only with 5 VDC, so each D_LED_SW item needs to be set to the 5 V option.

Solution