[SOLVED] Computer crashing, need help

Dec 31, 2019
I just got a Red Dragon V56, swapping out my 1060 6gb, every time I load a game after a couple of minutes it crashes to a black screen but pc is still on.

My specs:
GPU- Red Dragon RX Vega 56
CPU- Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard- Gigabyte AX370 Gaming
RAM- 2x 8gb Corsair Vengence DDR4 1066 Mhz
PSU- EVGA 650W

It seems like a power issue I know but my motherboard should be giving out the power it needs and power color recommends a 650w. I also know that AMD cards can have problems

Update: ran ARK while software up that told me my gpu wattage usage and once it jumped to 93w my pc blacked screen again

Update 2: installed the latest bios and still doing the same thing

Update 3: I bought a 850w Hold certified psu, should be enough to power it as I think that's what it is. It arrives the 6th, will update when I try it.

Last edited:
Solution
AMD cards are known to draw a lot of power, it wont hurt to buy a new psu as they are fairly cheap and if anything I'll have a back when one blows

I've updated windows, I've undervolted the card, updated the bios, updated the drivers and still does it. Had it happened with my first build and what it was my micro atx wasnt giving enough power but I think it's just theres not enough power for all I'm running

Ok, well I'm assuming this power supply you have now is 80+ rated, not that it matters much because you could still have the same issue. So here is my suggestion to you when buying a new power supply. Don't just go by the PSU being 80+ rated or the brand name. Whatever wattage they recommend for a GPU is at best a guess and...

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
I just got a Red Dragon V56, swapping out my 1060 6gb, every time I load a game after a couple of minutes it crashes to a black screen but pc is still on.

My specs:
GPU- Red Dragon RX Vega 56
CPU- Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard- Gigabyte AX370 Gaming
RAM- 2x 8gb Corsair Vengence DDR4 1066 Mhz
PSU- EVGA 650W

It seems like a power issue I know but my motherboard should be giving out the power it needs and power color recommends a 650w. I also know that AMD cards can have problems

Update: ran ARK while software up that told me my gpu wattage usage and once it jumped to 93w my pc blacked screen again

Check your 'event viewer'. Just type it in the search bar, click on the app that pops up, click on 'custom views', 'administrative events', and click on the event logs that were reported at the time your games crashed. There should have been a 'critical error' reported. If the error says something like 'event code 41 kernal power', then that would narrow down what the actual cause could have been.

Dec 31, 2019
Check your 'event viewer'. Just type it in the search bar, click on the app that pops up, click on 'custom views', 'administrative events', and click on the event logs that were reported at the time your games crashed. There should have been a 'critical error' reported. If the error says something like 'event code 41 kernal power', then that would narrow down what the actual cause could have been.

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 12/31/2019 11:50:38 PM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (70368744177664),(2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: DESKTOP-7K3H96M
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>6</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-01-01T04:50:38.688493500Z" />
<EventRecordID>11746</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>DESKTOP-7K3H96M</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
<Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
<Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>
<Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">0</Data>
<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">false</Data>
<Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Is that what you were talking about?

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 12/31/2019 11:50:38 PM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (70368744177664),(2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: DESKTOP-7K3H96M
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>6</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-01-01T04:50:38.688493500Z" />
<EventRecordID>11746</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>DESKTOP-7K3H96M</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
<Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
<Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>
<Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">0</Data>
<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">false</Data>
<Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Is that what you were talking about?

Yeah, exactly the error message I thought would pop up. Basically, this indicates that it could be the power supply, but it can just as easily be due to plenty of other things, like your bios. Is your bios up to date?

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Ive never updated my bios before, currently updating windows. How do you update bios?

You can download the latest version right to a flash drive from the manufactures site below (titled 'F50a'). The bios is accessed when you boot the computer up, usually by continually pressing a button, could be the 'delete' button or the 'end' button on your keyboard. Be careful when doing this. Make sure there aren't any high winds or anything that could knock out your power while installing it, or you could screw up your PC, possibly beyond repair.

Link: The Bios

Dec 31, 2019
You can download the latest version right to a flash drive from the manufactures site below (titled 'F50a'). The bios is accessed when you boot the computer up, usually by continually pressing a button, could be the 'delete' button or the 'end' button on your keyboard. Be careful when doing this. Make sure there aren't any high winds or anything that could knock out your power while installing it, or you could screw up your PC, possibly beyond repair.

Link: The Bios

I did that and yet it still happened. Any other suggestions?

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
I did that and yet it still happened. Any other suggestions?

So you updated the bios and it still crashed? Well, it could still be a dozen other things causing it that we can rule out before we get to the power supply. What anti virus programs do you have installed? Are your GPU drivers up to date? Are you running any kind of performance monitoring application while gaming like 'MSI Afterburner'?

I think the answer is fairly clear:
The GTX 660 only required a power supply of ~400 watts to run and did fine on your system. Your new video card, the only change you made, required a power supply of ~650 watts to run, and caused your system to crash. Even though your power supply says 650 watts on the sticker, I don't think it's up to new task.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
I think the answer is fairly clear:
The GTX 660 only required a power supply of ~400 watts to run and did fine on your system. Your new video card, the only change you made, required a power supply of ~650 watts to run, and caused your system to crash. Even though your power supply says 650 watts on the sticker, I don't think it's up to new task.

How is it not up to task if it meets what is 'recommended'? :unsure:

Dec 31, 2019
AMD cards are known to draw a lot of power, it wont hurt to buy a new psu as they are fairly cheap and if anything I'll have a back when one blows

I've updated windows, I've undervolted the card, updated the bios, updated the drivers and still does it. Had it happened with my first build and what it was my micro atx wasnt giving enough power but I think it's just theres not enough power for all I'm running

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018

Ok, well I'm assuming this power supply you have now is 80+ rated, not that it matters much because you could still have the same issue. So here is my suggestion to you when buying a new power supply. Don't just go by the PSU being 80+ rated or the brand name. Whatever wattage they recommend for a GPU is at best a guess and is in fact not a true 'recommendation' like you would see for a video game but the minimum. Always get more than what they recommend.

I'd much prefer you double whatever they recommend. In your case, that would be a 1,300 watt PSU, so I wouldn't settle for anything less than up to 1,000 watts, and call it a day. If you can, make sure its no less than gold rated. I have a platinum rated 1250 watt PSU. Its served me well so far, so I know that whatever issue I may have from here on in, I know the PSU is the last thing I have to worry about. You may have some people here calling my advice is "insanity". All I can tell you is to use your common sense. I went through the same thing you went through.

Solution