Question Computer fans do not spin up until boot

Stoutscientist

Prominent
Dec 13, 2021
I replaced my old low RPM OEM fans in my PC with new Noctua redux fans but now they don't spin up until my PC starts booting windows and when the computer is first turned on I get the error "CPU Fan Failure!" (even though all 3 don't spin up). I feel that it might be bad for my computer because Windows likes to update and restart while I'm asleep so I wake up to the CPU fan failure error

I replaced my old low RPM OEM fans in my PC with new Noctua redux fans but now they don't spin up until my PC starts booting windows and when the computer is first turned on I get the error "CPU Fan Failure!" (even though all 3 don't spin up). I feel that it might be bad for my computer because Windows likes to update and restart while I'm asleep so I wake up to the CPU fan failure error
What is this motherboard they are connected to and how are they connected, with how many pins 3 or 4 for each connector, and are these pwm fans or fixed speed fans? Most motherboards spin the fans at full speed when first turned on and then they decrease after that depending on the bios settings. If your motherboard supports some sort of fan testing and speed setting function you may need to activate that. Or perhaps totally reset your bios and then try a fan speed setting option.

Stoutscientist

Prominent
Dec 13, 2021
They are PWM fans connected to a Lenovo motherboard (in a m83) and they are 4 pin. My motherboard has a fan speed setting (Acoustic , performance, or full speed) and none of them work still until boot. I also tried resetting my bios.

Last edited: