Computer freezing, restarting while playing games or watching videos.

bob_58

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
My computer I bought a while back started freezing while I was watching a video on Hulu. Then it restarted. Then while i was playing a game it did it again. And it kept doing it. I have had the computer for about 2 months but the problem happened 3 weeks after i put it together. It worked for 3 weeks and then out of no where it just started doing this.
Before this problem while i was playing some high quality games my processor's fan would start up really loud. So i was thinking it might be that but i would want a second opinion.

Computer specs:
AMD Phenom 2, 11x4 955, 3.22 GHz; Black Edition Multi-core

Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce GTS 450

2 sticks of kingston 4GB (8GB) 240 pin DDR3 1333 desktop memory

Gigabyte Ultra durable 3 motherboard GA-77OT-USB3

Corsair TX 650w power supply. ( I was told it might be that but when i bought everything off newegg this is the one they recommended for me.

Windows XP SP3

bob_58

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011

Idle temps are about 44 degrees C. (111 degrees F)

When i booted up a game it was about 50-53 degrees C (130 degrees F)

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
You've half trouble-shot the problem yourself, I think. The CPU heatsink may not be seated correctly. First, run something like Prime95 to put a load on the system and see how long it goes before it freezes...you could do that 3-4 times to see if it consistently freezes at the same point, or if it's random. Then, remove and re-apply the thermal compound between the CPU and heatsink (there are guides on how to do this if you're not sure). Then run Prime95 again and see if the freezing has stopped. Your CPU temps don't seem excessive, but if the CPU fan is kicking in like you describe then something has to be triggering that. After doing all that,

I wouldn't think the issue is the PSU, but you can always try swapping it out if you have another one around and seeing if the problem remains.

bob_58

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011

I did that and it usually froze around 3-4 mins in but after i did replaced the thermal paste it lasted about 40 mins into a game and still did it. Could it be i just need a better processor?

omar954

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
my comp was doing the same thing yesterday and i realized i hadnt dusted it in 2+ years. after i dusted it, my cpu temp dropped 10C and my gpu temp literally dropped 50C and my comp stopped crashing.
take out ur cpu heatsink and get rid of ALL the dust. then take out ur gpu and do the same thing.

skaz

Distinguished

Corsair makes some very good PSUs so you made a good choice with that brand. But there is a chance it could be defective. If your leaning towards it being a hardware issue and have an extra PSU you can swap it with go for it.

Also if you haven't already, I would test your RAM with memtest86.

i would try removing a stick of ram and running the test again. kingston ram is often cheaply made to keep there prices down. currently you can get a 2gig ddr3 1333 stick for 15 pounds so i would be more inclined to think this is the weak spot.
remove 1 and test with prime 95 and then rinse and repeat.
hopefully its just a craped out ramstick.

TRENDING THREADS