[SOLVED] Computer has loud audio even with volume set to low ?

theamazingmettaton

Reputable
Aug 9, 2018
Hello! For the past 2-3 years now, I keep my volume set to 20ish on my PC, maxing out at 100. I'll turn it up to around 30 for quieter stuff but past that and it get too loud. To prevent any misunderstanding, I have no hearing problems. I tried fixing it in the past but just couldn't figure it. Being around 60-80 used to be my default back then and my friend have noticed this strange audio problem as well. I've used HyperX Cloud II headphones for a few years now if that's important. The type of audio I typically deal with is from movies and YouTube as well as discord calls. I messed with the volume mixer and playback devices a bit when I tried in the past too. If there's any other details that I could provide to help, I'll happily give. So, why can't I use the full range of my master volume without it being earrape past 20-30ish?

Solution
Sorry I forgot to mention but it does this regardless of headphones or my Logitech speakers on my monitor. My headphones used to have a boost/audio controller but I got rid of it for a basic audio/mic cable cuz I didnt want to use it
Again, it's not unusual to have volumes in the low range, and it may differ between different sources.

The volume on my MacBook hardly ever went above somewhere around 15/100 for the speakers - Yes, my room is pretty quiet - While those for my IEM headearbuds hardly ever went above 5/100 before I picked up a Bluetooth receiver, and then 10/60 afterwards.

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
I know you've probably already tried this, but does your headphone have its own volume control, or boost settings? It seemed to have its own USB sound card, but I'm unfamiliar with that brand.

Otherwise, it's not in any way unusual to have volumes in the low range with (EDIT: typical low-impedance) headphones. Please take care of your ears - That one pair would have to last your whole lifetime.

Last edited:
Reactions: theamazingmettaton

theamazingmettaton

Reputable
Aug 9, 2018
does your windows detects your USB audio as headphones or as speakers?
if it dedects it as speakers, then thats why its loud, speakers are ment to be loud
workaround would be with equalizer to reduce dB
I actually don't know what its recognized as, do you know on how I would check that? I've messed around in the volume mixer and volume setting when I messed with equalization and other enhancements I could choose.

theamazingmettaton

Reputable
Aug 9, 2018
I know you've probably already tried this, but does your headphone have its own volume control, or boost settings? It seemed to have its own USB sound card, but I'm unfamiliar with that brand.

Otherwise, it's not in any way unusual to have volumes in the low range with (EDIT: typical low-impedance) headphones. Please take care of your ears - That one pair would have to last your whole lifetime.
Sorry I forgot to mention but it does this regardless of headphones or my Logitech speakers on my monitor. My headphones used to have a boost/audio controller but I got rid of it for a basic audio/mic cable cuz I didnt want to use it

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
Again, it's not unusual to have volumes in the low range, and it may differ between different sources.

The volume on my MacBook hardly ever went above somewhere around 15/100 for the speakers - Yes, my room is pretty quiet - While those for my IEM headearbuds hardly ever went above 5/100 before I picked up a Bluetooth receiver, and then 10/60 afterwards.

Last edited:
Solution

theamazingmettaton

Reputable
Aug 9, 2018

The volume on my MacBook hardly ever went above somewhere around 15/100 for the speakers - Yes, my room is pretty quiet - While those for my IEM headbuds hardly ever went above 5/100 before I picked up a Bluetooth receiver, and then 10/60 afterwards.
Well do you think there is anyway for me to possibly change it so that I could use the full range and have more control over my audio? I know theres programs and eqaulizer app I can get but I thought I should ask incase theres other options

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
If finer-grained volume control is what you want, then maybe you can get one of those external soundcards with their own control.

This is in fact one of the reasons I got a BT receiver for my earbuds, without which there's no step at all between mute, loud, and too loud.

theamazingmettaton

Reputable
Aug 9, 2018
If finer-grained volume control is what you want, then maybe you can get one of those external soundcards with their own control.

This is in fact one of the reasons I got a BT receiver for my earbuds, without which there's no step at all between mute, loud, and too loud.
I think i'll end up looking into more of a program instead of a soundcard though im curious as to how the bluetooth receiver suddenly fixed the audio problem? I have a bluetooth receiver for my art tablet but thats all

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
I think i'll end up looking into more of a program instead of a soundcard though im curious as to how the bluetooth receiver suddenly fixed the audio problem? I have a bluetooth receiver for my art tablet but thats all
My apologies, I should've been clearer - It's a bluetooth headphone amplifier, produced by the same company as my earbuds were. As such it was probably designed to produce the small signal voltages high-sensitivity earbuds like, and give a useful (and easy-to-reach) volume control range for it.

But of course, the volume controls in each application would have worked just as well.