[SOLVED] Computer keeps crashing while playing games (not overheating)

Grant_26

Reputable
Jul 19, 2017
Hello, my PC has been crashing randomly once every few hours for the past month or so, I have had the computer for a couple of years so its not a new build or anything. The crashes happen exclusively when I am playing games. I can rule out overheating since I have checked both GPU and CPU temps and they are completely fine, averaging around 60c while gaming. To fix the issue I have tried running sfc /scannow to check for any corrupt windows files, I have tried installing new drivers for everything using avast, checked to see I have the most recent windows update, updated BIOS, reset my PC, scanning for viruses with multiple antivirus softwares, cleaned out my pc and reapplied thermal paste, tried using a different outlet, I tried reinstalling windows via a recovery drive to a new different hard drive, I am not overclocking and I got new ram sticks. The crashes still happen even if I only leave those new ones in (so ram is not the culprit). The crashes usually happen in games right after loading in, although sometimes they take a few hours, other times I can go a day or two without crashes. The crashes don't show up with an error code in the event viewer, however, I did see a code 141 error that didn't accompany a crash. That specific code is a driver error and I restored my pc to before then but to no avail. Any help is appreciated and thanks for helping me with this problem I have been trying to fix it for weeks now and am all out of ideas.

My Specs are as follows:
Intel i7 8700k
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
16 GB DDR4
ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E Gaming LGA 115
Windows 10

Solution
If you do a clean install of Windows 10 and not a reset and you install the chipset drivers and your GPU drivers and after that it keeps crashing it's probably hardware.

You did not put the Power Supply in your specs. What is the brand and model of it?

A low quality PSU after a few years can easily cause this.
If you do a clean install of Windows 10 and not a reset and you install the chipset drivers and your GPU drivers and after that it keeps crashing it's probably hardware.

You did not put the Power Supply in your specs. What is the brand and model of it?

Solution

Grant_26

Reputable
Jul 19, 2017

Thermaltake is the brand, I looked it up and it said they were alright. It was part of my previous build and I have had it for roughly 5 years now. Is it likely the PSU is the issue?

Last edited:

Raz_5_

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
Thermaltake is the brand, I looked it up and it said they were alright. It was part of my previous build and I have had it for roughly 5 years now. Is it likely the PSU is the issue?

It most likely is the issue, I would take that step first before anything else, get a power supply, if you have done any upgrading recently be sure to purchase a more powerful power supply then the one you currently have. Remember power supplies do have a certain amount of life expectancy before they start giving out. If the problem persists, please do come back and update us.

Raz_5_

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
Hello, my PC has been crashing randomly once every few hours for the past month or so, I have had the computer for a couple of years so its not a new build or anything. The crashes happen exclusively when I am playing games. I can rule out overheating since I have checked both GPU and CPU temps and they are completely fine, averaging around 60c while gaming. To fix the issue I have tried running sfc /scannow to check for any corrupt windows files, I have tried installing new drivers for everything using avast, checked to see I have the most recent windows update, updated BIOS, reset my PC, scanning for viruses with multiple antivirus softwares, cleaned out my pc and reapplied thermal paste, tried using a different outlet, I tried reinstalling windows via a recovery drive to a new different hard drive, I am not overclocking and I got new ram sticks. The crashes still happen even if I only leave those new ones in (so ram is not the culprit). The crashes usually happen in games right after loading in, although sometimes they take a few hours, other times I can go a day or two without crashes. The crashes don't show up with an error code in the event viewer, however, I did see a code 141 error that didn't accompany a crash. That specific code is a driver error and I restored my pc to before then but to no avail. Any help is appreciated and thanks for helping me with this problem I have been trying to fix it for weeks now and am all out of ideas.

My Specs are as follows:
Intel i7 8700k
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
16 GB DDR4
ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E Gaming LGA 115
Windows 10

Also if you've tried Overclocking or anything like that set it back to stock. Even if you dont overheat, the amount of voltage being used could be the reason your computer turns off. It could be the system trying to protect itself from taking dangerous or lethal levels of power the system just cant handle or not possible to handle especially if it's off the charts.

Reactions: Nemesia

Raz_5_

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
Seeing as I have the inability to read I double checked what you're going though and saw you're NOT overclocked, and your computer I assumed doesnt "crash" the system; but the game itself is crashing back to desktop I assume, as you say there's no error window that pops up. So if that's the case, I'd still say it could be the power supply, that the supply isnt failing you completely hence why it closes out of whatevers using alot of power usage for running things like your ramping up GPU usage and CPU usage while playing the games and takes you back to the desktop with no error message.

There must not be an error message because it did not crash on your system or the games end but instead something internal is going on. The power supply must be communicating with the motherboard to give it a break, hence why your system takes the matter into it's own hands and closes it for you, because if it didnt and you continued to play on a dying power supply you could cause a discharge of volts to surge through your entire system frying everything in its last seconds of life trying to power your system.

Last edited: