Computer keeps restarting on its own. Already changed PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mii197

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Hello, I've been very frustrated with this problem my computer is having, so hopefully this forum can enlighten me a bit more regarding this.

My rig has been working properly for the past (almost) 4 years. Ever since i moved to a new place recently 5 month ago, my computer keeps randomly turning off as if someone unplugged the power cable.

Things i already tried :
1) using an UPS

2)I bought a new Samsung SSD 850 PRO SSD and completely reinstall my windows 10, and reformat my old hardisk, so it couldnt be a virus problem

3)wiped my graphic driver preinstalled with windows 10 with DDU and reinstalled it with the newest nvidia driver (pc stops dying after i did this for like 3 weeks, then it starts dying again randomly)

4) disabled automatic driver installing from windows

5) turning off auto restart when theres problem

6) checking anything overheating but the temp looks fine

7) changed my PSU to a new one off warranty but the problem persists. When using friend's psu it still dies as well so it rules out psu problem

8) tried reinstalling windows and wiped my c drive again and again

9) tested my rams with the windows tool and processor using intel diagnostic tool and it looked fine

10) using disk sentinel my hardisk looks fine without problems

my pc turns off randomly. Sometimes it doesnt turn off even when im gaming for a few hours and the turning off happens randomly.

when i open the event manager, all the randomly turning off events are Event 41, Kernel-Power issue which says "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." and theres no other things.

theres no BSOD, computer just dies right away. Sometimes it'd die and tries to boot up for like 3-5 times, but it'd keep dying again before it could even go into bios. Sometimes itd load to desktop and dies again after 15 to 45 mins

my spec (copied from speccy):

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 3.50GHz 41 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology

RAM
32,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 667MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z77X-D3H (Intel Core i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz) 28 °C

Graphics
Generic Non-PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (Gigabyte) 34 °C

Storage
238GB Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256GB (SSD) 28 °C
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZRX-00A8LB0 (SATA) 26 °C
1863GB Western Digital WDC WD20EZRX-00D8PB0 (SATA) 28 °C

Optical Drives
ASUS DRW-24B5ST

Audio
VIA HD Audio

Power Supply
Was: corsair tx750w
Now : got a new Corsair CX750M 2 times from warranty claim, still same issue

Could this be bad registry problem? software prblem? or is my hardware like my motherboard dying? This is so frustrating :(

Thank you

Solution
Since you've tested the PSU quite extensively, it does seem like either a motherboard or a CPU problem - I guess you should be changing/replacing the motherboard, or try to run everything through a different motherboard, if possible. If you can't do that, just get the motherboard replaced.
I know this'll sound ridiculous, but it still looks like a PSU problem. My PC gave me similar problems and errors, and replacing the PSU got it fixed. Another problem could be your motherboard. I'd recommend getting the motherboard replaced, since you seem pretty sure about the PSU.

The older, dying PSU could have damaged something on the motherboard, so it's best you get it replaced before it damages anything else. Don't try turning on the system again, it might make things worse.

Mii197

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Thanks for the answerr, i was wondering if its a psu problem so i got it warranted and it still gave me the same problem. I even borrowed my friends power supply and it still died. So i thought it wasnt the psu :(

Yeah ive been wondering if its the motherboard myself but im really not sure yet u_u i just want to know if there could possibly be something else before i do a moneysink towards a new motherboard. Ugh so frustrating

Mii197

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
I dont really understand how to run memtest but
We did try booting the pc with the ram 1 by 1 and 2 by 2 (i have 4x8gb ram) and it dies everytime. the computer guy says its unlikely for all the ram to be faulty or maybe he could be wrong? :(

Im a bit scared that i can't even run memtest on it since the pc dies even when im trying to run disk check on windows and other random times. But at least it didnt die when i tried reinstalling windows today :(

Create a bootable USB Flash drive:

Download the Windows MemTest86 USB image - http://www.memtest86.com/downloads/memtest86-usb.zip

Right click on the downloaded file and select the "Extract to Here" option. This places the USB image and imaging tool into the current folder.

Run the included imageUSB tool, it should already have the image file selected and you just need to choose which connected USB drive to turn into a bootable drive. Note that this will erase all data on the drive.

Then, boot into this USB(through the 'select boot device' option during startup - you'll have to figure out what key to press yourself, since it varies - it should show you what to press when the name of your motherboard manufacturer shows up before Windows loading screen)

Let the counter count down and the memtest will start by itself(don't even move the mouse when the counter is counting, or it will stop the counter). Leave the config as default, I guess.

Mii197

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
thank you :) i opened the pc case today and i noticed when the pc shuts down (while booting up), the processor fan dies first, so i removed the heatsink fan thing and tried to clean it a bit (it wasnt really too dirty tho). then reinstalled windows again. it died one more time after that on desktop but it didnt die when i left it on safe mode for an hour ish.

right now it's running okay but im not sure if it stops dying or not. Like i said, the pc dies randomly :(

edit : ok never mind, it died again and ive been monitoring the temperature and nothing is overheating.

we already tried reassembling the components and tighten everything up but i think its not helping :( ugh

okay it sound sliek a psu issue but you changed the psu, so I am going to go on a limb and say circuitry short (I know I know lets not get into technicality just listen) disconnect all USB headers you are not using, (plug mouse/keyboard into usb port directly into motherboard, pop off any video card or devices that are pcie related from the motherboard and try to run it again. (put video cable into motherboard ports)

Mii197

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Thank you for the input, we tried unplugging each components out from the case and just plugs the motherboard directly with only the ssd and one hdd plugs in one after the another, the gpu and psu (mine and another psu borrowed) but itd still powers off and reboots again short after that.

I was using it fine the other day. It didnt die even when i was playing overeatch. But today it died again. When it restarts, it went to desktop then died again short after that. Sometimes it wont even boot past bios, or dies while on windows login page. Ugh this is so frustrating.

The thing noticeable was the processor fan stops first seconds before the entire rig shuts down. But theres no bsod whatsoever and sometimes the pc would run fine. It has never died yet while on safe mode though so im going to try that next time the pc can boot up again.

But right now im still blind and have no idea what to do :'(

Mii197

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
When i opened my case, my motherboard doesnt look like it has any bad or bulging capasitors. Also when the pc does boot up, its not slower whatsoever or maybe its because im using an ssd.

The pc dies so randomly though and its been happening for like almost 6 months already without no clear reason. Sometimes itd run a month or two without restarts, sometimes 3 weeks or sometimes 2 days like just happened. The pc would boot up to dektop and id be able to do gaming etc on it before it dies again, sometimes it dies while im only opening chrome, sometimes itd restart and dies right away before bios, and itd try to power up but dies again after 1 second. It really looks like a psu problem but i already warrantied and changed the psu 2 times and the 3rd time using a 550w psu but everytime itd still die? This is so weird.

Only the processor, motherboard and one HDD are 4years old. The rest of the components are like 2-3 years old. The SSD is months old. :(

I really hope its not the motherboard dying :(

Mii197

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
A bit of an update, after the pc constantly trying to get back on, the pc booted up and it didnt go to bios, instead it says the main bios is corrupted and its now recovering from the backup bios. After its done, it restarted again and could load windows but then dies again

I guess its my motherboard dying after all?

Since you've tested the PSU quite extensively, it does seem like either a motherboard or a CPU problem - I guess you should be changing/replacing the motherboard, or try to run everything through a different motherboard, if possible. If you can't do that, just get the motherboard replaced.

Solution

Mii197

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
sorry for the long update, i've been trying to get a spare motherboard since it's so hard to get an old 1155 socket one :( but i cant afford exchanging all the components yet.

More of an update :

1) i tried doing memtest on each stick and everytime it'd run for 10 mins to 2 hours and just restarts. i highly doubt all of my ram all faulty. i checked and theres no dust on the ram slots. It shows no error during memtest before the restart

2) it restarts on safe mode

3) it restarts on bios

i highly doubt all the 3 PSU i got was all faulty, so it must be the motherboard then?

I'm thinking of getting an Asus h61m-k or Asus h61m-a motherboard as a replacement since i think they support my cpu, according to the website :( it's a low end motherboard but my choices are limited.

i guess its the motherboard going faulty then, since i changed psu's already, tested ram and tested my processor with the intel diagnostic tool? i havent tested the build without graphic card tho, but can a faulty gpu constantly reboots the pc without BSOD? also: my pc didnt change in terms of performance, windows still loads within 2 seconds and nothing ever freezes.

is it my motherboard? :( thanks

Mii197

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
thank you, i'm going to try and get a replacement motherboard this saturday :) hopefully it'll stop making random restarts.

i never thought the cpu could be faulty, since it always boots up fast, no freezes, no lags, no windows problem or anything. But it could also be possible i guess

i'm also going to stare intensely if there's any bent pins, maybe i missed it when i checked before

will update more soon :D thank you for the help

DSzymborski

Titan
Did you problem ever get solved? I'm having the same exact problem and I dont want to waste the money on a whole new build. so please help me!

Start a new thread with a detailed description of your problem and complete specs, including exact power supply. Giving no information while replying to a random thread labeled solved from 2017 is a much less efficient way of getting help.

Reactions: jstroy
Status
Not open for further replies.