[SOLVED] Computer Keeps Shutting OFf

andrewf93

Honorable
Feb 12, 2014
Hey guys,

Over the last few months my computer has been shutting off without warning. I was hoping somebody could help me diagnose the problem. The system is around 6-7 years old and specs are below:

CPU: i7-4770k
GPU: GTX 780
RAM: 16GB RAM
PSU: 750W
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z-87 PLUS
STORAGE: 3000TB HDD / 250GB SSD
CASE: FRACTAL R4

Background:

-First time it happened was when I tried to plug in a portable HDD to the USB port and it cut the power immediately. When rebooting, the boot screen reported a power surge. I had never experienced this before, and believe this triggered the malfunction. Previously, I has no issues plugging in HDDs through USB. Now, when I plug in a HDD to ANY USB port into the system, it immediately shuts off the second it goes in (even in BIOS). USB accessories such a mouse/keyboard/cables, do not cause this issue.

-After the above event happened, I started noticing my computer shutting off but only when I wasn't using it. I suspect this would happen when entering 'sleep/hibernation mode', and that something during that process triggers the power cut. (Not sure about this one)

-Most recently, I've noticed it shutting off more regularly whilst using it, specifically whilst under "high load", such as installing programs or modelling - This is random though.

-It also cut off power one time when I plugged in my laptop charger into an adjacent power point.

-Whenever it shuts off, I need to wait a while before it will turn back on. I might need to unplug the power cable aswell...

I'm not an computer expert, but I suspect maybe the PSU? However, everything appears to be running normally:

-Computer runs quiet (no weird noises or smells)
-Computer runs cool (CPU, GPU and Motherboard) at 25-35 degrees. PSU is not hot to touch (not even warm).
-Voltage outputs look reasonable: 12.192V, 5.080V, 3.344V.
-Computer was originally plugged into a powerboard (as its been for years), but since have plugged it directly into the wall and problem still persists.

Any help or discussion will be appreciated!

Andrew

andrewf93

Honorable
Feb 12, 2014
How long have you had that?
It's only got a 5 year warranty; usually a good idea to replace within the range of said warranty.
How long have you had that?
It's only got a 5 year warranty; usually a good idea to replace within the range of said warranty.
Around 6-7 years. I think I will have to replace it. So it sounds like the PSU to you? could it be another component?