Question Computer not posting. pluged in gpu while power was on.

corruptcosplayer

Reputable
Aug 28, 2017
So, i did something very stupid. this is kinda long, sorry.

my specs were
Zotac 1060 6gb mini
Ryzen 2600
4x8gb 3200 ddr4 gskill ram (clocked to 2600 cause Ryzen 2)
AsRock x470 master sli/ac wifi
Seasonic S12II 620w PSU

Currently switched my motherboard and gpu to
gigabyte aorus elite wifi x570
and my gpu to an r7 240

my issue is this.
my asrock board had an issue where it wouldn't post unless a gpu was in the second PCIE x16 slot (if two gpus were in, it would display from the first slot. if only one, it only worked if it was plugged into the second)
I may have had the bright idea one day while half asleep to take apart my computer and try to fix this. I'm extremely embarrassed. i was having a really bad week. i wanted to try something
in my infinite wisdom, I decided to, while my desktop faild to post since i only had the 1060 in the first slot, put an old R9 280 in the second slot. the 280 did not have the PSU PCIE power plugged in, but the computer was on.

In doing so, I'm 99% sure i fried my motherboard's pcie slots. I had tried resetting it, resetting cmos, etc. nothing worked. I tried an old R7 240 my friend had tucked away. did not work.
I got a new motherboard. (the aorus). both the 1060 and 280 did not work with the new board, but the 240 did. leading me to believe the gpus are dead.
however, when either the 280 or 1060 are plugged in, the computer does a quick boot cycle, turns on and off, before doing the beep code for no gpu. both gpus fans spin, so i know they are getting power. i know its not the psu since i tried another one and have the same issue. I tried putting a gpu in the second slot of the gigabyte motherboard and seeing if windows will detect it, or if it would be in the bios. neither were. is there anything else i could try to fix this? there aren't any scorch marks on either gpu, no sign of anything being fried. nothing exploded. I've seen other posts where other people did the same thing and had no issue, or at worst a fried motherboard. I just dont understand how i could have fried BOTH gpus like this. I really dont have money for a replacement so I'm kind of desperate to see if anyone has any solutions.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
So, i did something very stupid. this is kinda long, sorry.

my specs were
Zotac 1060 6gb mini
Ryzen 2600
4x8gb 3200 ddr4 gskill ram (clocked to 2600 cause Ryzen 2)
AsRock x470 master sli/ac wifi
Seasonic S12II 620w PSU

Currently switched my motherboard and gpu to
gigabyte aorus elite wifi x570
and my gpu to an r7 240

my issue is this.
my asrock board had an issue where it wouldn't post unless a gpu was in the second PCIE x16 slot (if two gpus were in, it would display from the first slot. if only one, it only worked if it was plugged into the second)
I may have had the bright idea one day while half asleep to take apart my computer and try to fix this. I'm extremely embarrassed. i was having a really bad week. i wanted to try something
in my infinite wisdom, I decided to, while my desktop faild to post since i only had the 1060 in the first slot, put an old R9 280 in the second slot. the 280 did not have the PSU PCIE power plugged in, but the computer was on.

In doing so, I'm 99% sure i fried my motherboard's pcie slots. I had tried resetting it, resetting cmos, etc. nothing worked. I tried an old R7 240 my friend had tucked away. did not work.
I got a new motherboard. (the aorus). both the 1060 and 280 did not work with the new board, but the 240 did. leading me to believe the gpus are dead.
however, when either the 280 or 1060 are plugged in, the computer does a quick boot cycle, turns on and off, before doing the beep code for no gpu. both gpus fans spin, so i know they are getting power. i know its not the psu since i tried another one and have the same issue. I tried putting a gpu in the second slot of the gigabyte motherboard and seeing if windows will detect it, or if it would be in the bios. neither were. is there anything else i could try to fix this? there aren't any scorch marks on either gpu, no sign of anything being fried. nothing exploded. I've seen other posts where other people did the same thing and had no issue, or at worst a fried motherboard. I just dont understand how i could have fried BOTH gpus like this. I really dont have money for a replacement so I'm kind of desperate to see if anyone has any solutions.

Unfortunately, you could have done something to the motherboard and the PSU. The better idea would be, instead of using your friend's parts in your PC, using your GPUs in your friend's PC.

corruptcosplayer

Reputable
Aug 28, 2017
Unfortunately, you could have done something to the motherboard and the PSU. The better idea would be, instead of using your friend's parts in your PC, using your GPUs in your friend's PC.
I tried that but for some reason my gpu won’t socket into his computer. He tried the bottom pcie slots and they didn’t work. And I have tried another psu with the same results. I’m just not sure what else I can try.