[SOLVED] Computer not working. please help

Feb 8, 2020
COMPUTER NOT WORKING

I bought a desktop back in 2016 and only recently (about 4 days ago) it randomly shuts itself off and then is stuck in a loop.

If I leave it off for a bit it runs again for another couple 10-20 minutes before doing the same thing again. I believe it could be that whatever thing is wrong, the 10-20 minutes helps cool it down or something ?

However I was able to run OCCT to test GPU CPU and PSU.

And CPU temps go to around 85 degrees, GPU goes to around 80 and PSU fan turns on.

I’ve researched online and found that people say to breadboard (have it only CPU Mothterboard and PSU on). I stripped the PC completely and I had only the 24 pin connector connected along with the other components above and it would do the same things however when I connected the 12V connector as well, everything seemed fine, then I proceeded to put everything back together and it worked. Then I used it again for about 10 minutes then it happened again.

I reapplies thermal paste on both GPU and CPU along with reseated every cable and inserted RAM into different slots ( I took the entire PC apart and remade as if new).

So my question is, do you think the PSU is faulty ? Even though the fan spins and everything when under load ?

I have the RM750 from Corsair and it has the zero rpm fan thing unless under load. Which it did indeed turn on when I used the PSU stress test.

Something like this happened about a year ago, and all I did was tore apart the of and rebuilt it like I did and the problem stopped ever since until only recently again.

My specs are
intel i7 4790k
Corsair h100i
16gb g skill ripjaws
Corsair RM750
Gigabyte GA-Gaming 7 z97x
Gigabyte windforce GTX 980

Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

If there are any other troubleshooting methods, please let me know!

Solution
No problem per se and it is not at all uncommon to use software to monitor hardware parameters.

It is just that I tend to be somewhat cautious about taking the results at face value.

That all said the images show that the CPU is running near max temperatures: how did you reapply the thermal paste and what brand thermal paste did you use?

High temperature also for the GTX 980 - 79c with max being 80c.

Again, if you can wait do so. There may be other interpretations of the results you presented in Post #17. Or some error of omission or commission on my part.

Overall, I believe that the 4 year old PSU should be considered as a potential culprit. It could be nearing EOL (End of Life) and simply unable to provide all of the...
Feb 8, 2020
you re-applied paste to the GPU....what? You tore that down?

yeah I took the gpu heatsink out and reapplied thermal paste to it as it was also one of the troubleshooting methods, it could be the GPU that could’ve been overheating so I did that, temperature never changed though when I checked the stress test and it seems fine

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Computer power supplies are dual in nature, and supply 12v 5v and 3.3v. Fans on the power supply or motherboard spinning means the 12v rail should be fine, but doesn't prove the 5v or 3.3v rails are working. So, yes, it could be your power supply, but most likely is the mobo or bad pc component. What parts do you have on hand to swap out? Do you have another video card?

unplug all peripherals (cd-roms, hdd's, any usb device other than keyboard, etc)

1. clear cmos and try to boot with another video card. If you have another computer, try the video card in that computer.
  2. Try with just one stick of ram. If first stick doesnt work, try with second stick.
  3. Try another power supply
  4. if your at this point it looks like the motherboard.

Feb 8, 2020
No peripherals. Only thing plugged in was MOBO, CPU, PSU still same issue. CPU was reseated, no pins bent and reapplied thermal paste.

I’m starting to think it’s just the PSU and/or Motherboard.

No spare parts to swap out.

Kazin76

Reputable
Jul 7, 2016
Hi Jcheong99. Sorry to hear of your problem. Without spare parts to swap around it does make troubleshooting this a bit difficult. You may be able to download HWINFO64 and monitor the power rails / voltage for anything odd during stress test. Also within windows go to "computer management" and click on "event viewer" and check the critical items list. This may give a help give a description for the improper shutdown that can be researched further.
The boot loop may not be directly related to the overheating. The OS might have got corrupted if it shutdown improperly too many times. Although the PSU or MOBO does sound the most suspect. And both a faulty PSU or MOBO could give a weird and intermittent issue such as you describe. Consider if you have had any noticeable power events, surges, brown or black-outs recently that might have caused damage if not protected.

Feb 8, 2020
Hi Jcheong99. Sorry to hear of your problem. Without spare parts to swap around it does make troubleshooting this a bit difficult. You may be able to download HWINFO64 and monitor the power rails / voltage for anything odd during stress test. Also within windows go to "computer management" and click on "event viewer" and check the critical items list. This may give a help give a description for the improper shutdown that can be researched further.
The boot loop may not be directly related to the overheating. The OS might have got corrupted if it shutdown improperly too many times. Although the PSU or MOBO does sound the most suspect. And both a faulty PSU or MOBO could give a weird and intermittent issue such as you describe. Consider if you have had any noticeable power events, surges, brown or black-outs recently that might have caused damage if not protected.

Hello, I've monitored the settings and they all seem to be fine, all 12V is showing as 12V, 5V as 5V and 3V as 3V all under load as well.

The full wattage under load was not more than 150W while on idle it was only at 50W (Using OCCT).

I used HWMonitor and it doesn't show the settings for the voltages as apparently it's not supported by my motherboard, so I downloaded a different program and it showed all the +12V, +5V, +3V.

I don't see anything unusual when it is under a stress test, all temperatures seem reasonable and fans all work. Wattage also seems fine.

I've also done research that a boot loop that doesn't even show the OS is not the OS being faulty but the hardware itself.
The monitor still remains black while it is being booted then shut down.

On the event viewer, the only thing that shows is critical kernal power event id 41.

I've done research and it has said that the event viewer shows nothing that I already don't know.

And that Event ID 41 is just telling you that the computer shut down unexpectedly which was what happened.

I don't believe the OS is corrupted, nor have I had any power events, surges or any black/brown-outs.

Kazin76

Reputable
Jul 7, 2016
Ok Jcheong99, IMO you appear to have done almost everything reasonable from a software level. I can only suggest as per the others above next step is either a PSU or Mobo swap as it does sound like a hardware issue.

Feb 8, 2020
Ok Jcheong99, IMO you appear to have done almost everything reasonable from a software level. I can only suggest as per the others above next step is either a PSU or Mobo swap as it does sound like a hardware issue.

Thank you, I'll take it to a microcentre and see if they can diagnose the problem.

Ralston18

Titan
Reference:

"Hello, I've monitored the settings and they all seem to be fine, all 12V is showing as 12V, 5V as 5V and 3V as 3V all under load as well."

Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it? Or have a knowledgeable family member or friend who does?

If it is not already too late, try checking the PSU voltages before taking the computer to microcenter or anywhere.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test as the PSU is not under load. However, it may be helpful if you have some knowledge regarding the PSU's output voltages before taking your computer to the shop.

Feb 8, 2020
Reference:

"Hello, I've monitored the settings and they all seem to be fine, all 12V is showing as 12V, 5V as 5V and 3V as 3V all under load as well."

Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it? Or have a knowledgeable family member or friend who does?

If it is not already too late, try checking the PSU voltages before taking the computer to microcenter or anywhere.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test as the PSU is not under load. However, it may be helpful if you have some knowledge regarding the PSU's output voltages before taking your computer to the shop.
I know how to use a multimeter that I learnt from physics class, though I don't have one. I'm unable to check the voltages.

I mean that using an artificial stress test (OCCT), it shows.

Here is the latest screenshot I can gather before the computer turning off.

Here are my settings I've posted from all the Stress Test as well as temperatures from Mem64, OCCT and HWinfo64

*EDIT: The mem64 says Test finished with no errors detected. Also I apologize that it's with a camera as I was scared the desktop would shut off before being able to take a screenshot and upload it in time.
View: http://imgur.com/gallery/if41KkK

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
No problem per se and it is not at all uncommon to use software to monitor hardware parameters.

It is just that I tend to be somewhat cautious about taking the results at face value.

That all said the images show that the CPU is running near max temperatures: how did you reapply the thermal paste and what brand thermal paste did you use?

High temperature also for the GTX 980 - 79c with max being 80c.

Again, if you can wait do so. There may be other interpretations of the results you presented in Post #17. Or some error of omission or commission on my part.

Overall, I believe that the 4 year old PSU should be considered as a potential culprit. It could be nearing EOL (End of Life) and simply unable to provide all of the necessary power all of the time.

Especially if the CPU is not being fully cooled and running hot as well....

Solution