Question Computer randomly restarting during gaming - Not overheating, and not PSU

Mar 11, 2024
I have tested just about everything and cannot for the life of me figure out what is wrong. The game Hell Let Loose is causing my computer to restart with no errors. Here are a list of things I have tested and monitor:

-PSU: 850W RM850X Corsair (just installed, but after restarts started happening, upgraded from 750W because I thought this was the issue).

-CPU Ryzen 7 5800X temp: ~50-65 Celsius.

-GPU GTX 1080: ~60 Celsius (I know it’s old, but it's working fine for other games).

-MOBO: B550 PG Velocita.

-RAM: Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200MHz 2x16GB (recently installed and tested each card by itself, and together. I have also tested with XMP 2.0, and default).

-Stress test ran on both CPU, GPU, and both together with no issues.

-NVIDIA drivers are up to date.

-Memory check ran multiple times, no issues.

-Installed MSI Afterburner and lowered the power limit of my GPU. Still having restarts.

- Other games work fine. Played enshrouded for 30 min, no issues. I will continue to test other games as well.

-Event viewer shows: Critical: Kernel-Power "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." - So not very helpful.

I have lowered the settings and still randomly restarts. Another thing is sometimes I get a restart during startup, or just on the main menu changing settings.

Does anybody have anything else I can test? It is weird to me that sometimes I can play this game for hours, and no issues. Then one day I get on and can barely get to the main menu. Also, I noticed that after I play for a few hours, and get a restart, and try to play again, it crashes a lot quicker, like loading the game up or at the main menu before getting into a game.

Thank you in advance for any kind of help.

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
I have tested just about everything and cannot for the life of me figure out what is wrong. The game Hell Let Loose is causing my computer to restart with no errors. Here are a list of things I have tested and monitor:

-PSU: 850W RM850X Corsair (just installed, but after restarts started happening, upgraded from 750W because I thought this was the issue).

-CPU Ryzen 7 5800X temp: ~50-65 Celsius.

-GPU GTX 1080: ~60 Celsius (I know it’s old, but it's working fine for other games).

-MOBO: B550 PG Velocita.

-RAM: Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200MHz 2x16GB (recently installed and tested each card by itself, and together. I have also tested with XMP 2.0, and default).

-Stress test ran on both CPU, GPU, and both together with no issues.

-NVIDIA drivers are up to date.

-Memory check ran multiple times, no issues.

-Installed MSI Afterburner and lowered the power limit of my GPU. Still having restarts.

- Other games work fine. Played enshrouded for 30 min, no issues. I will continue to test other games as well.

-Event viewer shows: Critical: Kernel-Power "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." - So not very helpful.

I have lowered the settings and still randomly restarts. Another thing is sometimes I get a restart during startup, or just on the main menu changing settings.

Does anybody have anything else I can test? It is weird to me that sometimes I can play this game for hours, and no issues. Then one day I get on and can barely get to the main menu. Also, I noticed that after I play for a few hours, and get a restart, and try to play again, it crashes a lot quicker, like loading the game up or at the main menu before getting into a game.

Thank you in advance for any kind of help.
If it only happens on the one game, then that is your clue. Reinstall the game and/or search on forums related to the game.