Question Computer randomly restarts, no BSOD or errors in the event viewer, hardware worked in a different system

evanpoliquin

Reputable
May 21, 2016
Hello all!

I recently moved my PC parts to a new case, but after about a month of having it in the new case it started to randomly restart/crash with no warning, no BSOD, and no relevant errors that I can find showing up anywhere on my computer. This is completely random, sometimes it'll happen while I'm watching a video, sometimes while the computer is idle, sometimes playing games, and even sometimes while the computer hasn't even booted up and I'll just be in the BIOS.
It'll happen after a while of use. I'll be able to use my computer like normal anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour, sometimes even all day, before it starts restarting, and once it does, it wont stop. It's like a restart loop, sometimes I can get past the splash screen, but most of the time it'll just keep restarting before anything shows up on the monitor. I usually turn off the PSU and let the system sit for a while. After about an hour I can use it again until the next time it restarts.

I honestly have no idea if it's the motherboard, that's just the biggest change I've made to the system. I've also switched to a new PSU and case so maybe those could be an issue? I just have no idea what's wrong so I don't know what replacement to buy.

Any suggestions/help would be super appreciated!

I have:
Streacom DA2 case
EVGA 650w PSU
MSI b250 gaming pro mini itx motherboard
intel 6700k (not overclocked)
Noctua NH-l9
gskill tridentz 16gb 3200mhz
EVGA nvidia 1080 ti FTW
adata su800 1tb ssd
crucial p1 500gb nvme

evanpoliquin

Reputable
May 21, 2016
Did you do a new windows 10 install when you change the motherboard?
Have you removed everything from the case and put it on a worktop and tried it?
Does it do it in Safe Mode?
this motherboard is the same model and made from previous one if not you need to fully reinstall the os .

I installed a fresh copy of windows 10 once I put everything in the new case. I haven't put everything on a worktop, but the case is currently completely open and I'm jumping it to start, so the case is essentially irrelevant.

I haven't tried safe mode, but I can try that now, my guess is it definitely will, since this happens even in the BIOS.

Since case has poor ventilation, CPU cooler does not meet manufacturers recommendation for use with 6700k.
https://noctua.at/en/nh-l9i/cpucomp#socket_39

You might look into installing fans that move more air.

I have turbo and OC turned off on the CPU, as well as the case being entirely open to the air. I've also been keeping an eye on my temps and I've never seen anything over 65 degrees.

Regardless, could a high temp cause an immediate shutdown? When my processor's gotten hot in the past it's slowed down the computer considerably before turning off. It's worth a try to put a different cooler on though!