Apr 16, 2019
Hi, first of all thanks for dropping in and reading my problem. I really do appreciate it as his has been a problem of mine for a while now.

I built a PC myself around 7 years ago and since then it’s been fine. About a year ago my PC came into some trouble with it restarting when playing major games. I play counter strike global offensive and it’s fine, I’ve played no mans sky with no problems. But, when I play GTA it plays for around 15 minutes and then the computer just restarts. I don’t Mind paying to replace it but I just don’t know what the problem is! I’m hoping someone can help!

Some information on my PC:

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
AMD FX-8350
8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4GB
750W EVGA SuperNOVA PSU

Corsair H55 Hydro Series CPU Cooler
Windows 10

Things I have tried:
I used MemTest on my RAM and found no problems. I have 4 sticks of 2GB and even pulled two out to see if it was and ran it on 4GB and still it happened.

I tried my brother PSU about a year ago to see if it was that but I still seemed to do it.

Temperatures are fine. I ran a program to keep track of them and it was fine.

I would check the PSU voltages because a demanding game may draw more power and cause the voltage(s) to drop and cause the crash.

I would use HWInfo.

Download it and run it and look at the +12, +5 and + 3.3 voltages. They should be within 5% of nominal.

Then....this might be a little tricky.....minimize HWInfo and run a demanding game.....but you have to exit out BEFORE it crashes......and then look at the high and low voltages in HWInfo. They should still be with 5% of nominal.

If you can't run the game and exit out before it crashes....you can set up a log file in HWInfo that will log your voltages right up to the crash.

Apr 16, 2019
I just tried a
I would check the PSU voltages because a demanding game may draw more power and cause the voltage(s) to drop and cause the crash.

I would use HWInfo.

Download it and run it and look at the +12, +5 and + 3.3 voltages. They should be within 5% of nominal.

Then....this might be a little tricky.....minimize HWInfo and run a demanding game.....but you have to exit out BEFORE it crashes......and then look at the high and low voltages in HWInfo. They should still be with 5% of nominal.

If you can't run the game and exit out before it crashes....you can set up a log file in HWInfo that will log your voltages right up to the crash.

So I installed the program and ran it. My computer crashed and a blue screen came up saying; Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We’re just collections some error info, and we’ll restart for you.

STOP CODE: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

Apr 16, 2019
Process of elimination, trying another gpu if you can. If it still does it then the motherboard is the only component left.

I tried a bench man program called Heaven or something like that and set the settings to Ultra on it. I started it and this causes my PC to restart.

I just tried a

So I installed the program and ran it. My computer crashed and a blue screen came up saying; Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We’re just collections some error info, and we’ll restart for you.

STOP CODE: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED
You may be able to go into your BIOS and look at the voltages.

Of course....this won't be under load. Preferably you would like to test under load.

...but they may be out of wack even if the PSU isn't under load.

Apr 16, 2019
You may be able to go into your BIOS and look at the voltages.

Of course....this won't be under load. Preferably you would like to test under load.

...but they may be out of wack even if the PSU isn't under load.

Unfortunately I don’t have replacements for these parts so it’s not even as if I could try replacing them. The method would be order new parts off SCAN and then returning them that wouldn’t be the issue.

Apr 16, 2019
Is the easiest to part out. Wont know till you try. Can't ya get a friend to come over with their gpu? For their trouble shout pizza or some beers :)

Most of the people I play with live around the country! All my friends are console gamers, just me who wants to branch out to PC gaming. I may just invest in a few new items regardless. A new PSU, GPU and Processor. Surely this will do the job!

Looks like you have failing Vram on the GPU. There is a BIOS setting to stop the computer from restarting on failure if active you will see the reason for the stop (BSOD). If funds are not sufficient for upgrade at the moment a new GPU should work fine with that system and later can be transferred to a new system.