Question Computer runs fine but it won't display the BIOS ?

jsholydiver

Honorable
Jul 1, 2017
MSI B650 Gaming Plus WiFi
Ryzen 7800X3D
AMD 6800 XT
MSI Monitor

My computer has been running flawless since I built it back in January. I do heavy gaming and have no issues with anything until recently. I wanted to finally get in to the BIOS to turn off the RAM training so I could boot up in under 90 seconds. I tried to get into the BIOS but my screen is just black.

I have changed cables, ports, and even directly hooked my cables into the MB to see if that would work and nothing. When I accessed my BIOS originally it was with a different monitor using an HDMI cable (currently I use a DP cable) and with a different GPU (1660 Super).

On my MB when I spam the delete key there is a green indicator light. I updated my BIOS in January to the newest BIOS.

I have not cleared my CMOS out of fear that I won't be able to get in to change my RAM speeds back and also do my fan curves again, but If that's what I need to do, I will of course do it.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

jsholydiver

Honorable
Jul 1, 2017
there's an option in Windows for advanced startup that should allow you to boot either directly into the BIOS or into a boot menu that should allow entry.

not sure how to access the option in Win 11, but i'm sure you can find the details through Google, etc.
I did try by trouble shooting, Change Uefi settings. still the same issue. Not sure if this is what you meant. I think BIOS is coming up I just think its not displaying it for whatever reason. I could be wrong though.

I did try by trouble shooting
not, "troubleshooting".
as i stated, it is an advanced boot/restart option that allows you to boot into the BIOS.

try holding shift while selecting Restart.
or just google the advanced startup options for Windows 11, also as i stated.

I think BIOS is coming up I just think its not displaying it
it's common that the display can take a moment to initialize and the "Press F2 or Delete to enter BIOS" screen can be missed.
but if you are spamming delete then you would enter it and the display would show it.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
It's possible that BIOS menu is disabled/skipped. This speeds up boot time by a few seconds. The only way to get into BIOS then is to try what @JohnBonhamsGhost suggested.

Hold Shift when you click on Restart from the Start menu, and Windows will reboot into a special menu from which you can choose to boot into UEFI/BIOS.

While you're there check if FastBoot or Disable Boot Menu or similar settings exist.
You can also check your motherboard manual to see if there's special buttons or keyboard commands you can use to enter BIOS, and what Boot or BIOS options exist.

jsholydiver

Honorable
Jul 1, 2017
It's possible that BIOS menu is disabled/skipped. This speeds up boot time by a few seconds. The only way to get into BIOS then is to try what @JohnBonhamsGhost suggested.

Hold Shift when you click on Restart from the Start menu, and Windows will reboot into a special menu from which you can choose to boot into UEFI/BIOS.

While you're there check if FastBoot or Disable Boot Menu or similar settings exist.
You can also check your motherboard manual to see if there's special buttons or keyboard commands you can use to enter BIOS, and what Boot or BIOS options exist.
Okay so I think I need to clear things up a bit by saying I've done both the key to get into bios and to force it into the bios with another method. Its just not displaying it on my screen it seems and I'm not sure why its doing that. I will try again to make sure Im not doing anything wrong.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Okay so I think I need to clear things up a bit by saying I've done both the key to get into bios and to force it into the bios with another method. Its just not displaying it on my screen it seems and I'm not sure why its doing that. I will try again to make sure Im not doing anything wrong.

Do you see anything display on the screen when you turn on the computer? Or is it always black until Windows starts booting?

When you're in BIOS without display, can you use BIOS keyboard commands to exit without saving and restart your PC? That would confirm BIOS is working but display is a problem.

Can you try a different monitor? It's possible your new monitor has no ability to display whichever resolution UEFI/BIOS is trying to display. Standard low resolutions are always supported afaik but a lot of less common low resolutions are too low for new monitors.

Reactions: jsholydiver

Colif

Win 11 Master
  1. go to settings/system/recovery
  2. next to Advanced Startup, click restart now
  3. windows loads in blue menu
  4. Choose Troubleshooting'
  5. Choose Advanced
  6. Choose UEFI Firmware Settings

PC should restart and enter BIOS

On some boards, it skips the bios screen at boot in UEFI boot method.
BIOS is there somewhere as PC cannot work without it.

Updating BIOS can help though need to be able to do this from external to BIOS, some boards allow this.

sometimes holding del key or F2 before PC starts and holding them until its booted might get you in.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
  1. go to settings/system/recovery
  2. next to Advanced Startup, click restart now
  3. windows loads in blue menu
  4. Choose Troubleshooting'
  5. Choose Advanced
  6. Choose UEFI Firmware Settings

PC should restart and enter BIOS

On some boards, it skips the bios screen at boot in UEFI boot method.
BIOS is there somewhere as PC cannot work without it.

Updating BIOS can help though need to be able to do this from external to BIOS, some boards allow this.

sometimes holding del key or F2 before PC starts and holding them until its booted might get you in.
OP can enter BIOS but has no display when the PC is in BIOS.

jsholydiver

Honorable
Jul 1, 2017
Okay so an update, It is now showing the BIOS. I've literally done nothing different. For whatever reason this time around it worked. Spammed the delete key upon startup and rather than the screen staying black it actually showed the BIOS. Shut it down tried it again and it worked again. Made a change and restarted. Went back into BIOS just to confirm once again I can and it worked.

My issue is solved, but the question on why it did it to start with is unanswered. Apologizes to anyone looking for answers on this subject in the future.

Thank you everyone for the advice, before I could go forward with any of it It started working again.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Okay so an update, It is now showing the BIOS. I've literally done nothing different. For whatever reason this time around it worked. Spammed the delete key upon startup and rather than the screen staying black it actually showed the BIOS. Shut it down tried it again and it worked again. Made a change and restarted. Went back into BIOS just to confirm once again I can and it worked.

My issue is solved, but the question on why it did it to start with is unanswered. Apologizes to anyone looking for answers on this subject in the future.

Thank you everyone for the advice, before I could go forward with any of it It started working again.
Save your BIOS settings. In the future, you might need to clear CMOS for one reason or another. It would be handy to have your settings saved, esp. the finnicky stuff like fan curves.