Question Computer Shut Downs

ndless

Reputable
Jun 19, 2016
Wasn't sure where to put this so sorry if it's in the wrong place. Specs are in the image link below.

I started having this problem over the past few days. One minute everything's running fine and the next my monitors go black, whatever sounds are happening (music/video/game etc.) keep going for a few more seconds then stop, but my system is still running. All the fans are going like nothing's wrong and I have to hold the power button to turn it off.

It started while I was playing around in a heavily modded run of XCOM 2 so I thought maybe I over did it. I turned down the graphics, and uninstalled a few things. It happened a few more times, but the next day it was okay. Then it happened again. I opened up the case and dusted it out (wasn't very much in there), but the graphics card was pretty hot.

I got HWMonitor just to look at the temps (watching videos with a chat program open);

View: https://imgur.com/8zCSxbl

Which don't seem that bad to me? But just a few minutes ago I was watching a Youtube video, nothing else intensive, and it shut down again. I opened the case again and the only thing that was really hot was the graphics card. Could It be overheating and causing a whole system shut down? While the game was running the GPU temp was slowly climbing, but to maxed at 77C.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Last edited:

ndless

Reputable
Jun 19, 2016
Board: ASUSTeK Prime x370-Pro
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
RAM: PNY - Anarchy-X 16GB (2PK 8GB) 3.2GHz DDR4 (if I remember correctly)
PSU: Corsair CX 750M

ndless

Reputable
Jun 19, 2016
Well I got a new PSU (Corsair RM 1000x) installed, and a 120mm case fan, Same problem. About a half hour or so of use and everything just goes black and the sound cuts off. Have to hold the power button to get everything to actually shut down because all the fans are still spinning.

Guess my next part is a GPU?