Computer Shuts Off and Wont Turn Back On Until I Unplug It

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpontin

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
Hey Everyone,

I built this computer a couple of years ago and it has been running great ever since with very few issues. Recently however the computer started turning off at random and it will not turn back on unless I unplug it for several seconds and then plug it back in. Sometimes it will turn off when I am doing something that stresses the computer (gaming, encoding video etc..) but other times it will happen when the computer is almost idle. Initially I assumed it was an overheating problem but even if I leave the computer turned off overnight, it will not turn back on in the morning unless I unplug it and plug it back in. I have also run stress tests on it and it and I cant get the temperature to go above 68 degrees Celsius even after an hour at 100% CPU usage. I opened the case up right when it happened a couple of times ago and it felt like the PSU was very hot. Is it possible that the PSU is overheating and causing the computer to shut down? Or do you think it couple possibly be a motherboard issue? I am on the verge of going out and buying a new PSU but I thought I would get your guys' opinion to see if it might not be a motherboard issue.

Thanks Very Much!

Windows 7 Ultimate x86
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe
XFX GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB
Silverstone Strider 600W Modular PSU

Solution
The problem:
I too had the same problem. I was running a new build about 3 months old. Every now an then the computer would shut off for no reason, or I would leave the computer, let it go into sleep mode and the dam thing would not start up. The power button did nothing and even flipping the hard switch on the back of the PSU did nothing, All I could do was unplug the power cord from the PSU, plug it back in and the computer would then restart. It would also say in the boot that windows had not shut down correctly, so I knew something was going on.

My solution:
After trying just about everything software wise (except a complete windows reinstall) I was able to track the problem down to my PSU as many forums had suggested. It tuned out...

cisco sfp

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
First of all try to format your system completely if it is still turning off then check out with the power supply cables may be there is the problem in that if, either of these doesn't work the check witt your mother board and try to replace it.

webandflow

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Hey there, bpontin,

I'm experiencing the exact same problem, including the necessity of having to pull the plug for a few seconds just to get the PC to respond to my pressing of the ON button after one of its random turn-offs. Just wondering if you ever found the problem, and what it was. I've already replaced all the caps on my motherboard, which looked pretty bad when inspected, but that didn't do the trick. I'm thinking it's time to try another power supply. Whatever the problem is, I'm betting it's same as yours. So how did your problem get resolved? Thanks.

birdinatux

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
webandflow have you had any more problems after replacing the power supply? I'm having the same issue, but my power supply is brand new ocz 700watt. My motherboard was bought open box, so i was thinking that was the problem, since it has other issues (freezes when plugging something into a front panel USB) please give an update. thanks.

birdinatux

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
Well I'm pretty sure it is my motherboard. Since I bought it 30 days ago yesterday, I can't get a refund, and no replacement on open box items. Will have to contact asus tomorrow to see if they will exchange it. Anyone have experience with Asus and in warranty returns/exchanges?

Omi3D

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
Although this can be a sign of a weak PSU or a Thermal overheat condition, most likely it is due to a weak CMOS battery.
This is a button cell battery located on the mainboard. If you have not changed it in over 2 years, then a new one is recommended.
Most use a CR 2025 style button cell.

ceefcee

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Hi Birdinatux. Have you had any further insight into your problem. I've just replaced a cheap PSU, that has run for months, with an OCZ Fatal1ty 750w. The exact same thing is happenening with mine....powering down & won't start unless unplugged from the mains.
Cheers CeeFcee.

PrecisionMission

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
I'm having the exact same issue including having to unplug - wait - replug to get any sort of power. I don't have the cash to be throwing around replacing parts on a whim either. Can any of the people who have previously had this issue share some insight into how you resolved it or which component(s) you needed to replace?

My specs:
MoBo: Z77 Asrock Extreme 4
CPU: i5-3570k
GPU: Sapphire HD 7870 2GB
PSU: Cooler Master GX 650W
RAM: 8GB 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance
HDD: Seagate 500GB 7200rpm

Dilan Lochan

Honorable
Jul 2, 2013
Sorry to say bro but its actually a fauly power supply your efficiency might have gone down as the years passed, as for people with new ones its just your luck you got a bad one :/

frid210

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013
The problem:
I too had the same problem. I was running a new build about 3 months old. Every now an then the computer would shut off for no reason, or I would leave the computer, let it go into sleep mode and the dam thing would not start up. The power button did nothing and even flipping the hard switch on the back of the PSU did nothing, All I could do was unplug the power cord from the PSU, plug it back in and the computer would then restart. It would also say in the boot that windows had not shut down correctly, so I knew something was going on.

My solution:
After trying just about everything software wise (except a complete windows reinstall) I was able to track the problem down to my PSU as many forums had suggested. It tuned out that some of the many extra connectors I had on my PSU I had stuffed into an extra empty drive bay in order to reduce the clutter inside the case. Somehow one of them had been causing a short. After moving the cables around and tiding them up neat and proper the problem has completely gone away. (went from daily occurrence to two weeks so far with no problem.)

Details:
This problem had plagued me since my build, however it was very intermittent at first, maybe 2-3 times a month. It wasn't until I had moved my case and set my computer on its side that the problem became a daily thing. I was also able to move the "ball" of extra connectors with my hand, and cause the short at will.

Advice:
I was able to find other forums on this topic, but it was mostly people looking for help and people telling them that the PSU was broke or defective. And while that could definitely be the problem, take 10 minutes and unplug all your connectors from your components to your PSU, Clean any dust if needed and reattach them, then make sure any extra connectors are neatly tied up and are not causing any trouble.

Solution

paradisekiss

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014

Hi i Got this related , i relate. wow your very..thank you sir !

Linus17

Reputable
Aug 26, 2014

OMG... I am having the SAME problem too! I play WoW a lot on my prebuilt HPE-510y, but after purchase, I replaced the stock GPU and PSU immediately, and it has never failed me! However, the past month made me cry! Only when I play the game will my comp start to run hot, then shut down! No reboot... no BSOD... just shuts down. I have to unplug the power cord from the rear of the PSU, wait about 15 minutes, plug it back in, and it starts up with showing the screen that gives the choice of running normally, or going into safe mode. After that, everything is normal, although it is hot where I live, this has NEVER happened before! Here are my stats:

Mobo - Foxconn 2AB1 AMD 785G chipset
OS - Windows 7 64-Bit Home Premium
CPU - AMD Phenom II X6 1055t
GPU - EVGA nVidia GeoForce GTX 550Ti (aftermarket install)
RAM - 8 GB
HDD - WD 1.5TB (@5200rpm)
PSU - Dynex 400w (aftermarket install)

hussassasin

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2013
Hey i am facing the same issue too!!! did anyone find a solution to this???? please reply!!! i just got my psu replaced 2 weeks back so i dont think its the psu .. please help!

Amd fx 6100
Asus M5A78l mlxv2
4 gb ram transcend
Nvidia 610 gt graphics
Iball Psu psy-255

Linus17

Reputable
Aug 26, 2014

Well... I went out and found an Antec 550w PSU... and now I am back in business! For me, it turned out to actually BE my old useless PSU. However... based on previous comments from others, I removed my heatsink from both my CPU and my GPU, cleaned them off, replaced the thermal compound and reinstalled them so now my CPU is MUCH cooler (around 38c Idle), but it still is a bit on the warm side (60c Load)... and my GPU (40c Idle), but while playing WoW, it still hits about 72 at Load. The fact is, I get NO MORE shutdowns... so I have to say that it was the PSU that caused this. Give it a try! :)

hussassasin

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2013

the thing is that i just had my psu replaced 2 weeks back ... but it maybe possible that my psu is low power .. coz its a crappy psu anyways and its jst 250w .. do u guys suggest i should buy a new one? maybe 500w?and btw how often did u get the shutdowns?

Linus17

Reputable
Aug 26, 2014
Well... I was having a similar problem. I play an MMORPG, and a few weeks ago, my computer would simply... shut down. NO warning, NO BSOD... nothing. I had to unplug my computer from the back of the PSU, wait a few minutes, then plug it back in for it to start. It started with the "Your computer has shut down unexpectedly/Options" screen. At that time, I started it in Safe Mode where I ran diagnostics and an antivirus check. Everything was good, so I ran it in normal mode and proceeded to play my game. It happened about three more times after that, and each time afforded me LESS runtime than before. Yes, my CPU and GPU were running a bit warm... even on Idle, but I noticed that my PSU was almost too hot to touch! So... I replaced that old unit (Dynex 400w) with an Antec 550w PSU, removed my CPU's (AMD Phenom II 1055t) stock heatsink and replaced the thermal paste, and also removed/replaced the paste on my GPU (EVGA nVidia GeoForce GTX 550ti)... and now everything seems fine. I would advise (if I am worthy to do so) downloading and installing something like Speedfan, CPU-Z, HDmonitor, or some other form of app that will allow you to view your temperatures, but before that, find out what the min-max temps for your hardware should be so you can at LEAST see what's HOT, and what's NOT. Hope this helps. :)

Sdixon26

Reputable
Sep 28, 2014
I've also had the same problem. I've replaced my memory, video card, PSU, and now motherboard, with no results. Only thing I haven't replaced would be the CPU itself. OS Is clean as far as I can tell, I reinstalled a few months back as attest to no avail. I've stripped drivers and reinstalled them, and with a new mobs all my batteries and caps are in good shape.

About the only thing I have left to suspect is the CPU or the case itself, and im wondering if the case power on switch may be the culprit? Anyone ever seen a problem like that?

ShinFalcon

Reputable
Nov 6, 2014
Similar problem to everyone here. The first boot of the day goes fine but when I try to restart or take out of hibernate I get the blank screen.I have to wait for awhile before it boots normally again. This is not a temperature issue as this can happen right after turning the computer on.
There is a red led near the cpu on my sabertooth z77 motherboard so I am guessing it is either the motherboard or cpu problem so I got a cpu cooler with arctic silver thermopaste but this still happens. I guess I'll have to replace the motherboard but I want to make sure I try all the options.

A new issue rose for me where the computer does not shut off! It just has the fans and lights on and I have no idea what to do!

Status
Not open for further replies.