Question Computer sometimes freezes and I'm not sure why ?

aolsux00

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2013
Computer sometimes freezes and I'm not sure why.
I think it may be Chrome-related... It's the same whether graphics acceleration is off or on.

So I'm pretty familiar with computers and I've tried several things that I'll list below, but basically it freezes sometimes when I walk away and its idling. Not often, but maybe once a week or so. I've tried the key combo to refresh my graphics driver (win+control+shift+b) which doesn't help. I think it may be related to chrome/brave. I'm not sure, but in several instances I've had both closed and it didn't freeze, but it doesn't freeze with it open often so it might not be that. I am using the portable version of brave if that makes a difference, but I rarely use it. This has been happening for a several months and it also could be related to my graphics card swap (put in a Nvidia 2060), but I don't have any issues with it otherwise so I'm not sure.

1) Tested RAM with the windows mem diag
2) Tested all hard drives/SSDs with Seagate Seatools and Crystal Disk Info
3) Updated graphics card drivers
4) Updated BIOS and motherboard/processor drivers
5) Chrome - I've had graphics acceleration on and off
6) Stress tested hardware
7) sfc /scannow - it fixed some corrupt Windows files
8) Checked Windows logs and the only thing it really shows is an improper shutdown that I've had to do each time

Hardware:

AMD Ryzen 3900x
32GB RAM
1TB boot SSD + a few mechanical drives + 500GB SSD
650W Power Supply
Windows 10 Pro

Any ideas on what it could be? Any other tests I should try?

ubuysa

Distinguished
Fair enough, in that case let's get some detailed troubleshooting data....

Can you please download and run the SysnativeBSODCollectionApp and upload the resulting zip file to a cloud service with a link to it here. The SysnativeBSODCollectionApp collects all the troubleshooting data we're likely to need. It DOES NOT collect any personally identifying data. It's used by several highly respected Windows help forums (including this one). I'm a senior BSOD analyst on the Sysnative forum where this tool came from, so I know it to be safe.

You can of course look at what's in the zip file before you upload it, most of the files are txt files. Please don't change or delete anything though. If you want a description of what each file contains you'll find that here.

aolsux00

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2013
Fair enough, in that case let's get some detailed troubleshooting data....

Can you please download and run the SysnativeBSODCollectionApp and upload the resulting zip file to a cloud service with a link to it here. The SysnativeBSODCollectionApp collects all the troubleshooting data we're likely to need. It DOES NOT collect any personally identifying data. It's used by several highly respected Windows help forums (including this one). I'm a senior BSOD analyst on the Sysnative forum where this tool came from, so I know it to be safe.

You can of course look at what's in the zip file before you upload it, most of the files are txt files. Please don't change or delete anything though. If you want a description of what each file contains you'll find that here.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xEkmJtrwkvQ0Zz-4-3-HolCeMdYCtvoQ/view?usp=sharing

Thank you!

ubuysa

Distinguished
I think the issue might ne networking related. In your System log there are lots of warning messages for the BITS service, this handles background network communication for updates etc....
Code:
Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Bits-Client
Date:          24/07/2024 21:36:28
Event ID:      16393
Task Category: None
Level:         Warning
Keywords:  
User:          SYSTEM
Computer:      DESKTOP-EF74OMG
Description:
BITS has encountered an error communicating with an Internet Gateway Device.  Please check that the device is functioning properly. BITS will not attempt to use this device until the next system reboot. Error code: 0x80072F78.
There are also errors from the Wireguard VPN in your System log. If you're having network issues you probably should uninstall any VPN you have...
Code:
Source:        Service Control Manager
Date:          26/07/2024 04:30:47
Event ID:      7024
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Description:
The WireGuardTunnel$wg-torguard service terminated with the following service-specific error:
The system cannot find the file specified.
The root cause of these networking problems may however be your iPhone, there are several of these errors in your System log...
Code:
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-DriverFrameworks-UserMode
Date:          26/07/2024 06:19:11
Event ID:      10116
Task Category: User-mode Driver problems.
Level:         Critical
Keywords:  
User:          SYSTEM
Description:
The device Apple iPhone (location 002e.0000.0003.002.000.000.000.000.000) is offline due to a user-mode driver crash.  Windows will attempt to restart the device in the shared process 1 more times before moving the device in its own process.  Please contact the device manufacturer for more information about this problem.
Since it's a user-mode driver crash it might be whatever app is using your iPhone. I would suggest uninstalling whatever app(s) that is and disconnect your iPhone.

I can also see two VMWare network connections and it's possible that they might be contributing too. With problems like this you need to simplify your system as much as possible, so close down VMWare and any guest OS's for testing purposes. I can see you also have Malwarebytes installed, which is fine, but that does need to be kept updated, so be sure you have the latest versions. It might also be wise to disable or uninstall it for testing purposes too.

I don't see anything else in your System log to account for these freezes, neither is there anything of note in your Application log.