Question Computer spins to life, but no POST or display.

Mar 25, 2022
Hi, I have an old desktop (approaching 10 years) and I haven't really been using it for much, just to test GPUs on it. The computer stopped POSTing. I have 2 sticks of ram for it, both 4gb, one has been dead for a while. I tried both sticks recently, since I was trying to diagnose the no POST issue, I saw that it wasn't slotted in properly (I made a very big mistake and forgot to line the notch up) and now theres a burn mark on that stick of ram. Has this killed my motherboard? I know only one slot works, but no matter what I do, the system powers on, but no post, I tried onboard graphics and the discrete card, both slots of ram, still nothing. Any ideas of what this could be? Thanks.

Mar 25, 2022
full system spec? include brand and model of the psu
It's a custom built PC that was bought off some retailer around 10 years ago, it has an i5 3450, came with a radeon HD 6450 (still have this, but we have also used it to try other GPUs), 8gb of ddr3 ram (dual channel, one is dead) the powersupply is a Casecom ATX450w unit.

I've been planning on selling it for a while, so it's just been sitting around the house, only being powered on ever so often.

Mar 25, 2022
if there is burn on it, there is more likely MOBO is dead. don't try to test other RAM on this mobo, it's bad idea.
Okay, but would the burn mark come from me inserting it into the incorrect slot? to me it sounds like the M/B or the PSU is dead. What makes this harder for me is that one stick died a while ago, yet there was no burn mark or anything. So I don't know if I've accidentally killed the good stick of ram, or if it was the bad one, either way, no POST.

MeO123

Commendable
Oct 28, 2019
Well, either way there is could be possibility there was some dust/electric interference that killed your RAM, or PSU is faulty and fried your RAM and in the process, MOBO.
Just check if other components is still working on other hardware. You might be needed them some day.

Mar 25, 2022
Well, either way there is could be possibility there was some dust/electric interference that killed your RAM, or PSU is faulty and fried your RAM and in the process, MOBO.
Just check if other components is still working on other hardware. You might be needed them some day.
Alright so the PSU or M/B are toast, any way I can tell which?

Mar 25, 2022
Check also if there is no mark on MOBO... can you at least post pictures of hardware?
Sadly I don't have any images right now, but I can get some on the afternoon of sunday. I haven't seen a mark on the MOBO, but I haven't really had an in-depth look.

If this still helps, here's an image of the MOBO (got off the internet)
s-l1600.png

Last edited:

MeO123

Commendable
Oct 28, 2019
Hi, just to tell you, I cannot see anything on MOBO, because cables are ruining the sight - on RAM, I don't see any burn marks, can you spot them on?

Once again, the easiest way to determine your PSU is not dead, you need to have multimeter. It's very cheap those days.

Mar 25, 2022
Hi, just to tell you, I cannot see anything on MOBO, because cables are ruining the sight - on RAM, I don't see any burn marks, can you spot them on?

Once again, the easiest way to determine your PSU is not dead, you need to have multimeter. It's very cheap those days.
I'll definitely look at getting one of those, I think what happened is that both the RAM slots died, but it's hard to test that.

Heres a close up picture.
unknown.png

MeO123

Commendable
Oct 28, 2019
Well it look like burn mark. Either way, it's strange, but I would put my money that PSU is faulty and it fried your RAM and MOBO. After checking it with multimeter, you should know it by 100%