Computer started on fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2018
I had just started my computer and it had been running for about two minutes before just randomly turning. I turned the computer back on and noticed my motherboard had caught fire. I immediately turned off the computer and unplugged the power supply
tpmbrMY
Here is a picture of where the fire started. Any ideas why it might have caught fire there and what components am I going to have to replace?

Solution

That's a cheap motherboard without the passive coolers over those VRMs, chokes and other things I've no clue about.

I'd talk to the manufacturer. if it's still under warranty.

I would also replace the power supply unit.

When you embed a pic it needs to be a direct link the the pic meaning the url needs...

That's a cheap motherboard without the passive coolers over those VRMs, chokes and other things I've no clue about.

I'd talk to the manufacturer. if it's still under warranty.

I would also replace the power supply unit.

When you embed a pic it needs to be a direct link the the pic meaning the url needs to end with jpg, bmp, png or other pic. The link you entered is just a general one.

Solution
did you add a new video card or cpu?? most times vrm failures are from pulling more power then they can output. (bad over clock) a few years ago evga mb had that issue with thee vrm and some newer intel cpu. without a bios patch some mb went up in flames like yours on the first power up.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

With a burned VRM like that, toss the board in the trash, you're not fixing it. It could have fried the CPU as well but I would test it first. It may work fine.

Sep 25, 2018

I installed a new gtx 1060 about four months ago. The mb is an msi h110m gaming mb by the way

well the motherboard is done for, no for sure way to predict what else it took out. Its possible everything else is fine, you'll have to test each component. You might want to replace the power supply, someone has mentioned it already, but its possible that a bad psu might have led to this or at least made it more likely.

I would contact the motherboard manufacturer, even if its not under warranty, maybe theyll replace your mobo or give you a good deal on a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.