Question Computer turns on and then off after switching on the power ?

mono343

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2015
After switching the power on at the switch, the computer's power button lights up for a few seconds then stay off afterwards. Pressing the power button afterwards doesn't do anything. I can see inside the computer that there are lights on.

I tired reapplying thermal paste to the cpu.
I replaced the Power supply.
Took all the ram cards out but then it make a couple of beeping noises before turning off.

Sometimes after I turn the power on it beeps once and turns off. Also weird thing is that when I turn the power on at the switch for the computer, it start trying to boot up without me pressing the power button.

So I'm not sure what could be causing the problem. You guys got any ideas?

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2021
After switching the power on at the switch, the computer's power button lights up for a few seconds then stay off afterwards. Pressing the power button afterwards doesn't do anything. I can see inside the computer that there are lights on.

I tired reapplying thermal paste to the cpu.
I replaced the Power supply.
Took all the ram cards out but then it make a couple of beeping noises before turning off.

Sometimes after I turn the power on it beeps once and turns off. Also weird thing is that when I turn the power on at the switch for the computer, it start trying to boot up without me pressing the power button.

So I'm not sure what could be causing the problem. You guys got any ideas?
I'm having the same exact problem it seems, have you found a fix?

Do you have the option to start the computer without using the switch? If not, disconnect the switch at the motherboard and jump the pins with a small screw driver, just don't touch anything else with the screw driver. This will let you know if the switch is bad.