Computer won'nt turn on

Heart beats

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
Hi,last night I turned on the computer for some downloading and when i woke up in the morning it had automatically shut down and not turning on.
I mean, nothing... When I press power button nothing happens.. Monitor is all fine though.
Just hoping that It has nothing to do with hard disk :(
Any help?

It doesn't. The system would still fire up if the hard disk failed. It's either the PSU, motherboard, cpu or ram. Try the paperclip test on the PSU to see if the fan kicks on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixcWCrYpw3Y

If you have access to a multimeter you can fully test the PSU:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac7YMUcMjbw

Right now would probably be a good time to take the side panel off and take a look at the mess that's likely inside your computer. Check inside the power supply at the back of the unit for massive dust build up. Also, take a look under the CPU fan between the fins of the heatsink for the same. Any significant build up of dust and dirt is likely to cause overheating of the CPU or the PSU. Use compressed air to blow everything clean using either canned air or an air compressor. IF you are unable to do any of these things then you'll need to take it to a repair shop or seek assistance from a friend who can do it for you.

Was there a LOT. Like, a TON, in the CPU heatsink under the CPU fan? Or in the PSU? I kinda need to know in order to sort of take a guess at what the most likely failure is tending towards.

And I didn't expect cleaning the dust would help now. I just needed to know if it was likely there was a thermal failure on one component or another due to excessive heat caused by dust and dirt. When a heatsink gets coated with gunk, it can't cool, and the cpu will fail. Same for the PSU. Sometimes too much dust in a case can even zap a motherboard. But that's pretty rare and only in extreme circumstances. The CPU and PSU scenarios are common though.

Well, if the processor got too hot and fried, it won't start. Or if the PSU has failed, it won't start, or do anything in most cases. What is the model of your computer or is it a custom built system?

That same PSU powered on another PC? And it worked fine? Are there any beeps or anything when it's in the problem unit? Put it back in and see what it does. Maybe it is the CPU or RAM. Usually, when one of those goes bad, there are error beeps. Maybe it's just the motherboard since there are no error codes.