Computer won't detect my sound card

Nuruize

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015
I have an ASUS Streix raid pro and i installed it yesterday on my computer on my pcie 4 slot on my asrock z97 mobo using a dual molex to 6 pin adapter because my gpu is using the only 2 6 pins i had.

This morning I took my sound card out because I wanted to put it in the pcie 1 slot instead so it is above my gpu and not underneath it where thr fans are but now my computer won't detect my sound card.

I tried putting it back in the original pcie 4 slot where i first had it but computer still won't detect it. I've tried to reinstall the driver but the installation gets so far and says error no sound card device detected. The led on the sound card is on inside the tower so it must be recieing power but my pc won't detect it I don't know what to do.

Nuruize

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015
So i've just tried the sound card in my brothers pc and his detects it.. I just tried removing my graphics card and and connectingn my sound card directly to the 6 pin my gpu was using from the psu but my computer still won't detect it.. Does this sound like faulty pcie slots then so i would need a new mobo?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I suspect your computer has become confused over where that card is, and the driver software cannot find it properly. The solution is to remove it completely and start over with a fresh Install. Follow this sequence.

1. Shut down and disconnect from wall power. Open the case. Re-install your graphics card in the slot it had before. Move the sound card to the slot you want it to be after all this is working. Check all connections, then close up and re-connect to power.
2. Boot into Windows. The sound still will not be working. Go into System ... Hardware ... Device Manager and check the various devices. First look at your video card and make sure it does NOT have a yellow triangle warning of a problem. Then go to your sound card. Right-click on it and Delete / Remove this device and its drivers. Back out and reboot. What should happen is that the system will detect that it has found a new sound card and automatically install its required device drivers. If you want specifically to install the drivers provided with the sound card on a CD, stop that process and run the CD's Install routines. Either way, when the drivers are installed they will set themselves to find the card in its proper location and then it should work.

Nuruize

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015
My graphics card is fine, it's back in it's slot and working with no issues. I never put my gpu into a diferent slot i just took it out so i could use the 6 pin cable my gpu was using on my soundcard to see if it could of been the dual molex to 6 pin adapater that i'm using to connect my soundcard up was the issue. My sound card doesn't even show up in device manager to disable it, it's not detecting it at all. i uninstalled the driver for it and tried to reinstall it with the soundcard back in the original first slot that it worked in but halfway through the install it says error cannot detect hardware or something.

What you're saying feels like it is the issue though but I don't know how to fix it because I didn't uninstall the driver before i put the soundcard into a different slot. I uinstalled it after i turned my pc back on with the sound card in a different slot to find out it wouldn't detect it. then tried to reinstall it. Could that cause the issue? But even so putting it back into the original slot it worked on, device manager doesn't detect it and I can't install the driver

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
If Device Manager does not even detect it I can suggest two paths. Either or both may be needed.

1. Boot into Windows. Get out the CD from the sound card and run its Install routines to see if that will detect the card and install its drivers properly.

2. Go into Device Manager and see whether the sound card is there now. If not, look for an option that forces Windows to re-scan the entire machine and search for new devices it has not detected yet. That MAY find the sound card in the slot and initiate the Install of drivers.

Nuruize

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015
Ok so i've put my sound card back into the first slot that it orignally worked in, tried installing from the cd and i get "You ASUS Strix Soundcard Series Audio Device is not detected. The installation cannot continue" Also tried to install the latest driver off the website and get the same error. I've checked in device manager and it isn't there. I scanned for hardware changes and it still wasn't there. I've also checked in hidden devices.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Have you tried installing that sound card in another machine entirely to be sure it still works?

If it does, put it back in your machine and check Device Manager again. If there is any sign of it, Delete or Remove it. Then whether or not you could can do that, shut down. Remove the card, boot back into Windows. Go back and re-do the Scan For New Hardware, hoping that Windows will confirm that there is no sound card and revise its Registry entries. Shut down.

Now install the card in a PCIe slot where you want it to stay, boot up, and look for it. If necessary, Scan for New Hardware again and hope Windows will find it.

Nuruize

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015
Yeah I tired it in my brothers pc, as soon as he turns his pc on it detects that he has an asus strix raid pro sound card in.
I checked device manager with show hidden devices enabled and there's nothing showing any signs of the strix sound card under Audio inputs and outputs or Sound Video & game controllers but i shut down my pc anyway and removed the card then turned it back on and redid the scan to see if it would do the revise thing anyway. Shut back down and pu tmy card back into my pcie 1 slot above my gpu where i want it. Still not showing up in device manager and still can't detect it when i try to install the driver for it :(

Nuruize

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015
So it's now day 2 I've gone and got another dual 4 pin molex to 6 pin pcie connector incase it could of been that just because I'm running out of ideas on getting it working again but still no luck :(

Nuruize

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015
I've tried all the slots that it will fit in on my mother board. It's an asrock z97 anniversary. I originally had it on the pcie 4 slot underneath the gpu slot and it worked but I decided I wanted it above my gpu so in pcie slot 1 so it's not blocking the gpu fans and then my pc wouldn't detect it so I put it back into the slot 4 but wouldn't detect it again still anymore. The sound card won't go into the big slots on my mobo

Nuruize

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015
Ok thankyou I will try that when I get home from work. Does doing those 2 mean I will have to re install drivers or anything and do I need to remove anything off my mobo before I do that and how do I load bios defaults I've never messed around with my bios before because I've heard it can mess your pc up completely so I've always been too scared to mess around with anything bios related haha. Should doing these fix it then if my pc has become confused with what slot my sound card is in?

Edit: I've never updated my bios either because I heard it can be dangerous

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Fair questions. Did you build your pc or is it a pre-built?

Resetting the bios will return the motherboard to factory settings. Any changes made yourself will be undone, things like cpu / memory overclocks if you did any. If you've never gone in there to change settings there shouldn't be anything to worry about. If it's a pre-built, the only difference would be if xmp was set by the company for your memory which you'll have to turn back on so your ram is running at proper speeds. Probably not a problem though.

Don't need to reinstall anything.

Load bios defaults is usually an option just before exiting bios. Options are save or discard changes or load defaults.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Bios updates is only when there's compatibility issues, newer cpus or improved memory support. You'd have to see what improvements have been made and you can find out by going to your motherboard's support page at ASRock and view the bios release notes.

There are youtube vids showing how to bios update if you want to try. Search your board bios update.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Have the gpu and sound card in your intended slots.

Try load bios defaults first as it's less effort. If still not working reset cmos. Both do the same thing really but sometimes resetting cmos does a better job.

There's a couple of ways to reset cmos. First is a jumper on the motherboard to short certain pins. Your manual will describe which pins.

Another way is to remove the watch sized battery for a couple of minutes if you can get your hands there. The battery gives power to cmos to retain changes made manually in the bios.

Either way should first turn PC off, disconnect power cord and press case power button for a good 30 seconds to discharge remaining power from the motherboard's capacitors.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I wouldn't recommend molex adapters for graphics cards but for a sound card id imagine wouldn't be too bad. Since it worked before and seeing you tried the 6pin from your gpu may seem like the mobo is confused somehow.

Might be an idea to try your brother's psu.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
There's a chance resetting bios will help.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clear-cmos-2624545

One reason to clear CMOS is to help troubleshoot or solve certain computer problems or hardware compatibility issues. Many times, a simple BIOS reset is all you need to get a seemingly dead PC back up and running.

---

Wouldn't do that then if you have more power hungry components. The idea was to somehow get another pcie cable to the sound card at the same time as your gpu. I did imagine putting his case beside yours and power the sound card that way but honestly couldn't say if that would be bad or not. Since you tried pcie 6 pin from the gpu and ran of igpu, i couldn't see it being a psu issue.

TRENDING THREADS