ninja883

Commendable
May 17, 2018
Hi
Back home, I have a desktop PC with the following specs:
Intel Pentium G4400 @ 3.30 GHz
ADATA Premier DDR4 2400 4GB
GIGABYTE GA-H110M-S2
and an ancient HDD from Toshiba (~300 GB).
The system runs Windows 10 and as you've probably expected, things are pretty slow. So, I intend to make the following upgrades:
Another 4 GB of RAM (the same one listed above
WD Green SATA III SSD (120 GB)
I have chosen the above upgrades as they're the cheapest ones I could find in the respective categories. Now, the question of the right GPU still remains. I have the MSI GT 710 DDR3 2GB in mind but would all these be an overkill considering the CPU? Or should I just install the SSD and call it a day?

Solution
There's only 1 reason to get the GT710 and that's to remove the need to use system ram. Otherwise the integrated graphics are just as good. Bad. Any gtx1050/ti/1650 will do, I prefer Asus or Evga, but that's me.

By adding 4more Gb (what windows version do you have? x86 32bit or x64 64bit?) you'll free up a lot of resources and allow the pc to function faster.

An SSD will only improve that, even the Green, but it's still not a good ssd for an OS, it's basically for long term storage. I'd suggest a Crucial mx500 as a much better deal and far cheaper than Samsung.

ninja883

Commendable
May 17, 2018
I think the SSD and the memory are going to help you regardless of what CPU you have.

What is the question regarding the GPU?

I think you can go up with the GPU a bit.....but not a lot.

I wouldn't go higher than a GTX 1050.,
The question is a result of two considerations:
  1. I don't think I can spend much.
  2. Bottlenecks?

The question is a result of two considerations:
  1. I don't think I can spend much.
  2. Bottlenecks?
Well right now.....your GPU is very slow for your CPU....so you could call your GPU the bottleneck even though that term is a bit questionable when used in certain ways.

Ideally you want you CPU and GPU somewhat evenly matched and right now, yours isn't.

If you replace your 710 with a GTX 1050 the CPU and GPU will be more evenly matched.....and your graphics power will improve a lot.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
What are you wanting to use this PC for?

The GT 710 is not overkill for anything really. The only reason to ever get one is if you just need something to provide extra display connectors, it's not really suitable for any sort of gaming. It's probably not much better (if at all) than your integrated graphics.

I would get a 240GB SSD minimum. 120 is just too small.

Reactions: aldan

ninja883

Commendable
May 17, 2018
Well right now.....your GPU is very slow for your CPU....so you could call your GPU the bottleneck even though that term is a bit questionable when used in certain ways.

Ideally you want you CPU and GPU somewhat evenly matched and right now, yours isn't.

If you replace your 710 with a GTX 1050 the CPU and GPU will be more evenly matched.....and your graphics power will improve a lot.
Well, if the 1050 is the right match, then I don't think it would be unwise buying one. Any recommendations in that regard?

ninja883

Commendable
May 17, 2018
I
What are you wanting to use this PC for?

The GT 710 is not overkill for anything really. The only reason to ever get one is if you just need something to provide extra display connectors, it's not really suitable for any sort of gaming. It's probably not much better (if at all) than your integrated graphics.

I would get a 240GB SSD minimum. 120 is just too small.
I only need to get Windows booted up quickly. I don't plan to install any other large programs with it. Currently, the partition with the OS is well under 100 GB. Shouldn't be much of a concern.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Think about how much time you spend booting your PC relative to how much time you spend using it in total. Installing your frequently used applications on an SSD so the load quickly is half the point of getting one. You also want to avoid letting your SSD get anywhere close to full, as this hurts performance. A Windows install also tends to slowly creep up in space required as updates keep rolling out.

The difference between a 120GB and 240GB is like $10. It's up to you, but I'd really recommend getting the 240GB.

Reactions: jay32267

ninja883

Commendable
May 17, 2018
Think about how much time you spend booting your PC relative to how much time you spend using it in total. Installing your frequently used applications on an SSD so the load quickly is half the point of getting one. You also want to avoid letting your SSD get anywhere close to full, as this hurts performance. A Windows install also tends to slowly creep up in space required as updates keep rolling out.

The difference between a 120GB and 240GB is like $10. It's up to you, but I'd really recommend getting the 240GB.
I see your point; maybe I will get the roomier one.

Well, if the 1050 is the right match, then I don't think it would be unwise buying one. Any recommendations in that regard?
Two reasons I mentioned the 1050. One, it should work well with your CPU....and two...it draws 75 watts from your PCIe slot....which I'm thinking....won't be too much power for your PSU.....which by the way....what is the make and model of the power supply?

as far as which one to get...within a model (in this case, the GTX 1050) there are many manufacturers of 1050s.....and there are even models within manufacturers. The differences are generally....overclocking and cooling and bells and whistles.

The overclocking usually just gives you a few percent more as far as fps etc....and this overclocking sometimes needs more cooling (thus the extra cooling).

Personally I don't find the extra few percent fps worth much (if I want more fps I buy a faster GPU)....so if I were you I would get a 1050 from a company I have had good luck with (in my case I have never had a GPU failure with ASUS or NVidia) and I would try to find the best price I could.

....and I agree with TJHooker regarding the size of the drive. For the extra cost (which isn't much) at least 240 GB is the way to go.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's only 1 reason to get the GT710 and that's to remove the need to use system ram. Otherwise the integrated graphics are just as good. Bad. Any gtx1050/ti/1650 will do, I prefer Asus or Evga, but that's me.

By adding 4more Gb (what windows version do you have? x86 32bit or x64 64bit?) you'll free up a lot of resources and allow the pc to function faster.

An SSD will only improve that, even the Green, but it's still not a good ssd for an OS, it's basically for long term storage. I'd suggest a Crucial mx500 as a much better deal and far cheaper than Samsung.

Solution