[SOLVED] Confused about my Ram XMP - seems to not work

Skankie

Reputable
Jul 24, 2017
Hi Guys,

Posting this on behalf of my German friend, so sorry about some of the linked pictures being in Deutsch, but you know what you're looking at anyway.

Images to reference - View: https://imgur.com/a/y5t3Hn2

He bought Patriot Viper 3200MHz 2x8 Gb as an upgrade from 1 single stick of 8gb Crucial ram.

He is using a MSI B350 PRO-VDH AM4 with a Ryzen 5 1400.

I'm far from the source of all knowledge when it comes to computers, but compared to me he has no clue. So I told him how to enable his XMP in his bios, which he did. The motherboard even confirms these changes by stating 'DDR Speed 3200' at the top. (See 2 images linked at top)

However when he boots into Windows, task manager says 'Memory Speed: 1600'. I wasn't too concerned about this, because obviously DDR means double data, and 1600 x 2 is 3200. Although I still found this strange, because in task manager on my computer it actually states 'Speed: 3200'. (See image linked at top)

Finally, I asked him to open is Command Prompt to check his memory speeds, and this reads: 'DIMM 1 1067, DIMM 1 1067'. Again, in my command prompt it shows me 3200, 3200.

If anyone could explain to us why this isn't working that would be amazing.

Thanks!

Solution
Hi Guys,

Posting this on behalf of my German friend, so sorry about some of the linked pictures being in Deutsch, but you know what you're looking at anyway.

He bought Patriot Viper 3200MHz 2x8 Gb as an upgrade from 1 single stick of 8gb Crucial ram.

I'm far from the source of all knowledge when it comes to computers, but compared to me he has no clue. So I told him how to enable his XMP in his bios, which he did. The motherboard even confirms these changes by stating 'DDR Speed 3200' at the top. (See 2 images linked at top)

However when he boots into Windows, task manager says...
Hi Guys,

However when he boots into Windows, task manager says 'Memory Speed: 1600'. I wasn't too concerned about this, because obviously DDR means double data, and 1600 x 2 is 3200. Although I still found this strange, because in task manager on my computer it actually states 'Speed: 3200'. (See image linked at top)

Finally, I asked him to open is Command Prompt to check his memory speeds, and this reads: 'DIMM 1 1067, DIMM 1 1067'. Again, in my command prompt it shows me 3200, 3200.

If anyone could explain to us why this isn't working that would be amazing.

Thanks!
It's working fine. As it's DDR (Double Data Rate) you have to multiply base frequency, in this case 1600 by 2 and that gives you effective 3200MHz.

Solution

Skankie

Reputable
Jul 24, 2017
It's working fine. As it's DDR (Double Data Rate) you have to multiply base frequency, in this case 1600 by 2 and that gives you effective 3200MHz.

Thanks for your reply, so just to save my sonfusion, why does the command prompt show the speed as 1067 for him, when on my computer it displays it correctly as 3200?

Thanks!