Question Confused no display new CPU

Dec 4, 2019
Have an issue I have been trying to tackle this past day. Ill post all parts I have on my computer that will be of use.

Motherboard: MSI B350M Pro-VD MATX
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (and had a Ryzen 1300X)
GPU: 1060ti 6gb
PSU: Corsair CX550M 550 WATT

The issue is after installing my Ryzen 5 3600 my display wouldn't work on all my ports. The fans all were spinning and the LED lights around the inside of my case all lit up normally.
My GPU LED lights didn't light up (but did before installing the new CPU) After reinstalling back to my Ryzen 3 1300X The display worked and i got my PC back up and running. I was curious if you all know what could be causing that issue? I tried my DPI port on my GPU and Motherboard even tried the display port on my GPU. (I wasn't able to try the RGB on my Motherboard because of lack of having one.) But anther thing was the led white light indicators near my RAM was lit up and it was just the CPU light. Wondering if you all know the issue and can help me figure out whats wrong. I tried removing one of my RAM sticks to see if that was the issue didn't work even tried removing the GPU as well. Still didn't fix the issue.

Have an issue I have been trying to tackle this past day. Ill post all parts I have on my computer that will be of use.

Motherboard: MSI B350M Pro-VD MATX
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (and had a Ryzen 1300X)
GPU: 1060ti 6gb
PSU: Corsair CX550M 550 WATT

The issue is after installing my Ryzen 5 3600 my display wouldn't work on all my ports. The fans all were spinning and the LED lights around the inside of my case all lit up normally.
My GPU LED lights didn't light up (but did before installing the new CPU) After reinstalling back to my Ryzen 3 1300X The display worked and i got my PC back up and running. I was curious if you all know what could be causing that issue? I tried my DPI port on my GPU and Motherboard even tried the display port on my GPU. (I wasn't able to try the RGB on my Motherboard because of lack of having one.) But anther thing was the led white light indicators near my RAM was lit up and it was just the CPU light. Wondering if you all know the issue and can help me figure out whats wrong. I tried removing one of my RAM sticks to see if that was the issue didn't work even tried removing the GPU as well. Still didn't fix the issue.
Did you update to a BIOS for Ryzen 3000 processors? You'd have to do it with the 1300X processor installed.

If BIOS is updated, be sure to do a restore default settings before shutting down to install the 3600. Then, before restarting, do a CMOS reset (shorting pins) before plugging in power and booting up.

Reactions: Zach014
Dec 4, 2019
Did you update to a BIOS for Ryzen 3000 processors? You'd have to do it with the 1300X processor installed.

If BIOS is updated, be sure to do a restore default settings before shutting down to install the 3600. Then, before restarting, do a CMOS reset (shorting pins) before plugging in power and booting up.
I have not done that. I just a assumed the motherboard was already updated with Ryzen 3000 processors prier to doing so. Ill try to do so tomorrow evening and get back to you when I do with the results.

DSzymborski

Titan
I would check the motherboard manual; you have a CMOS battery.

Once they're shipped out, it would be prohibitively expensive to recall the motherboards every time there's a BIOS update and send them back out. If you need a BIOS that doesn't come with the motherboard originally, 95 times out of 100, the motherboard isn't going to have that BIOS update when purchased.

what if I dont have a CMOS battery pack? is CMOS required? I dont see the 2 prongs on my motherboard as well. Not sure where they are located.
You can find both located for you on page 7 of the manual.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350M-PRO-VD-PLUS#down-manual

The CMOS reset pins are labeled rather obtusely JBAT1 on the manual page, probably on the motherboard too. The battery is a silvery round coin cell just above the GPU, between it and the CPU.

Upgrading from a 1300X suggests you've been operating the board since well before even Ryzen 3000, maybe even before Ryzen 2000. If so, you'll definitely need a BIOS update to operate that 3600.

Dec 4, 2019
You can find both located for you on page 7 of the manual.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350M-PRO-VD-PLUS#down-manual

The CMOS reset pins are labeled rather obtusely JBAT1 on the manual page, probably on the motherboard too. The battery is a silvery round coin cell just above the GPU, between it and the CPU.

Upgrading from a 1300X suggests you've been operating the board since well before even Ryzen 3000, maybe even before Ryzen 2000. If so, you'll definitely need a BIOS update to operate that 3600.
wow you are a life saver! DIDN'T EVEN THINK TO LOOK UP A MANUAL ON THE SITE! This makes me feel a lot better about doing this!

Dec 4, 2019
Found a bundle of them https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077957RN7/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1N6B1DHDCK3JG they are coming with my thermal paste Saturday. Hoping this goes smoothly. Should i have a second thumb drive for my current bios? And how do i know what bios version i currently have? When ever i look in the asus pages the mother board i have doesn't say anything about version 2.5 like my bios says i have.

wow you are a life saver! DIDN'T EVEN THINK TO LOOK UP A MANUAL ON THE SITE! This makes me feel a lot better about doing this!

wait never mind maybe the 2.5 actual is version 25
Do not worry about the version currently installed, you'll want to get version 7B38v2GQ. That's the version with AGESA 1.0.0.4b, which is pretty much essential for full and proper operation of Ryzen 3600 CPU's. Yes, it's beta as MSI isn't taking B350 BIOS' to release.

Look through that on-line manual for doing BIOS updates using M-Flash. And reset BIOS as I informed, both prior to updating and after. BIOS screens will look different afterwards but it has all the necessary bits to do everything needed.

Dec 4, 2019
Do not worry about the version currently installed, you'll want to get version 7B38v2GQ. That's the version with AGESA 1.0.0.4b, which is pretty much essential for full and proper operation of Ryzen 3600 CPU's. Yes, it's beta as MSI isn't taking B350 BIOS' to release.

Look through that on-line manual for doing BIOS updates using M-Flash. And reset BIOS as I informed, both prior to updating and after. BIOS screens will look different afterwards but it has all the necessary bits to do everything needed.
sadly i have version 7B38v2GM on my USB and going to the support page comes up with a white screen.

Dec 4, 2019

I did and i know how to do cmos reset :) I read other forums telling me that 5-10 seconds with the caps might not be enough to reset the bios so might let it sit on the 2 prongs for a couple minutes just to feel safe lol

Dec 4, 2019
quick question before i update my bios then clear my cmos. Should I install my 3600 before or after clearing cmos?
I was gonna do Update bios with my 1300X then follow up with clearing cmos. Then i was going to install my Ryzen 5 3600. Should i install my Ryzen 5 3600 before i clear my cmos or after?