Question Confused over PSU safety features including SIP ?

Mikk_UA_

Commendable
Jul 18, 2022
Hello, little question about PSU safety features. Choosing new PSU with bigger capacity I got a bit confused.
My choices around pretty popular mid-range+ 850W\1000 variants, few examples:
  • Seasonic FOCUS GX FOCUS GX-850 850W
  • MSI MPG PCIE5 A850G PCIE5 850W
  • MSI MAG PCIE5 A850GL 850W
  • be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850W
All of them have protection futures like :
  • OVP – Over Voltage Protection
  • OPP – Over Power Protection
  • OCP – Over Current Protection
  • SCP – Short Circuit Protection
  • OTP – Over Temperature Protection
  • UVP – Under Voltage Protection
But when I looked for my current old budget PSU Chieftec 600W Proton, and their newer variants Chieftec 1000W Proton & Chieftec Polaris PPS-850FC(80+ Gold) , they have all of the above protection features plus SIP – Surge and Inrush Protection.
Why this more budget friendly PSU have all of this protection features but not Seasonic or be quiet! ?* Or this is just by default ?* o_O Or i`m missing something and SIP not a big deal?

It might be related to the watt rating. That feature is related to the large power spike that can occur when you first turn on the power supply and it charges the capacitors. It is used to prevent you tripping the power breaker in your house. Most breakers can tolerate a small surge something like the motor on a refrigerator or wall AC units likely causes more surge.

The higher the watt rating the larger the capacitors so the more surge it has. All the protection feature would be is something to limit how fast the capacitors can charge.

Mikk_UA_

Commendable
Jul 18, 2022
It might be related to the watt rating. That feature is related to the large power spike that can occur when you first turn on the power supply and it charges the capacitors. It is used to prevent you tripping the power breaker in your house. Most breakers can tolerate a small surge something like the motor on a refrigerator or wall AC units likely causes more surge.

The higher the watt rating the larger the capacitors so the more surge it has. All the protection feature would be is something to limit how fast the capacitors can charge.
Watt rating - but SIP Protection have all line-ups of Chieftec from 500 to 1000W.
Also, I think it's MSI PSU, on the startup have 115-150W+ inrush surge, which isn't ok?* (could be wrong)

"tripping the power breaker in your house" so it's more protection of house power breakers, not pc system ? it's "180" from what I thought. 😶