confused swedish gal

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Istaria

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
The cpu is at steady 41degrese, and the fan is turning ;)

and the memtest has been dunning for over 1 hour now in slot4 without errors........tho in slot 1 2 and 3 it only took a couple of minutes.

if it is a faulty ram...... why dont i get errors in slot 4 but in the others? 8O

tmac

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
if your so curious:p i uploaded an avatar when i registered. dont know if it showes in my profile tho, says i have to make 100posts.

still no error showing up in ramslot4 gone 20 mins now

I'm in love! :oops: You're what dreams are made of.
Anyway, nice picture.

Hope you fix your problem.

Istaria

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
hmm this memtest seems to last forever.. its gone 2 hours now and still no error in slot4, ill keep it on over the night. will be intressting to check it out when i wake up, gnite all, and thx for the help

MCMONOPOLY

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
if your so curious:p i uploaded an avatar when i registered. dont know if it showes in my profile tho, says i have to make 100posts.

still no error showing up in ramslot4 gone 20 mins now

I'm in love! :oops: You're what dreams are made of.
Anyway, nice picture.

Hope you fix your problem.

OMFG!! 8O That can't be true...seriously...Only thing left to know...DO YOU PLAY GAMES?!

God next trip i'm leaving for sweden. Do you like beer?! ok i'll stop now..

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
hmm this memtest seems to last forever.. its gone 2 hours now and still no error in slot4, ill keep it on over the night. will be intressting to check it out when i wake up, gnite all, and thx for the help

Uh from memtest's website:
Execution Time

The time required for a complete pass of Memtest86 will vary greatly depending on CPU speed, memory speed and memory size. Memtest86 executes indefinitely. The pass counter increments each time that all of the selected tests have been run. Generally a single pass is sufficient to catch all but the most obscure errors. However, for complete confidence when intermittent errors are suspected testing for a longer period is advised.

Well, if there aren't any errors on slot 4, then you can try installing windows. If more issues happen, we can either say its the RAM (which is rather suspect after failing in slots 1-3) or try to further diagnose it.

*cough* maybe some of the others could help out rather than stare at your picture... maybe you should have waited til they solved the problem first before giving them the pic :p :p

Scooby2

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
I would guess it is probably low quality or faulty RAM.

Try installing Xp with the stick in slot 4. If you succeed then run something like cpuz to tell you what memory you have and what speed it is running.

If it looks ok then install a couple of apps and run the system for a day or so. At the end of this if all is well then dont worry about it.

If you start to get errors crashes or bsod's then return the RAM as faulty.

Mike995

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Rofl dude..... if she is indeed a she and swedish then shes most likely beautiful, swedes are awesome. I cant wait for university in sweden. But back on topic id say it is your ram modules. It could also be a driver issue, have you updated your chipset drivers ?

labortius

Distinguished
May 17, 2004
Istaria, I'm sure you are a blonde Swedish girl in distress, but I've learned from all this that I should be one too if I need help...!

Not to be mean, but other posters don't put their sex and hair color in their posts, you must have known your natural advantages might help you out!

:D

Vile

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
It's probably the RAM (as many of the guys said already). You just got a very shitty brand of RAM. The fact that you got errors on Slot 1, 2 and 3 confirms this. There's no point in testing it anymore. Can you return the RAM? If not, you should start thinking in getting a new set.
Have a good night

Mike995

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
True everyone is in fact horney. It is awfully funney how this thread has turned from computers to sex. I hate to say this online, but istaria you are in fact beautiful.

labortius

Distinguished
May 17, 2004
It was bound to, once a girl announced herself in a computer forum. Sad, but true. One day it won't matter who's asking for help...

Istaria

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
hi all, thx for all the replyes.

supremelaw, them advise you wrote gave me insight indeed, im goin to test them right away ;)

pcrig

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
i just bought a new AM2 setup containing:

- http://www.datorbutiken.com/se/default.php?artId=ASM2NSLIDLX
Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe nforce570
- http://www.datorbutiken.com/se/default.php?artId=1024DDR2AD667
A-Data 1024mb 667mhz (1module)
- http://www.datorbutiken.com/se/default.php?artId=ADA3500CNBOX
AMD Athlon64 "Orleans" 3500+ 2.2GHz 512Kb Boxed (with cpu-cooler!) Socket AM2
- http://www.datorbutiken.com/se/default.php?artId=ASN6600SIL512
Nvidia 6600 grafic card
- http://www.datorbutiken.com/se/default.php?artId=WDR740SATA
WesternDigital 1000rpm 74gb
-520w PSU

now to the problem, i cant seem to install windows xp (i might be blond but i know how to do that :wink: )

ive testet 2 diffrent windows so far, xp pro sp1 and xp pro including sp1 and 2

i get the blue screen with diffrent error messages ever single time at random occations, they always apear when the "step by step" screen is up.

i managed to install it 1 time some how, but then i got error messages in every application (games-iexplorer etc) i ran aftar a random period of time.

im not realy good with computer parts, but i was thinking, since the motherboard ram sockets are dual ddr2, must i have 2 dual modules in order for it to work? cus i only have 1 stick on 667mhz 1024mb.

im realy clueless on what to do, pls help me :(

Ok HONE!

It happens I am flying to Europe so I can stop in Sweden not a big deal! :) For me it would be only 26 hours flight any way ... BLONDS are very smart girls but they do need a man whom
they would hold by the hand! :)

I believe that blue color of RAM is better for blonds than the RED one!

Now making serious analysis:
First of all BE carefull with the board and your nails.
Do not press to hard you might either break the nail or scratch the printed circuits.
Well if you press to hard you might stretch the circuits and break the treads!

You are getting BLUE screen, so it is not as bed as it sounds.

Should your memory be bad your PC wouldn't POST and you would get beeps indicating that the memory is NOT recognized.

I want you to do for me another type of start up and we will be able to quicker isolate the problem.

Please download to your other PC:

Knoppix 5.01 and burn CD from the image.

Pop that CD in your NEW PC and boot your computer from CD.
During booting from that CD you could see quite a lot and it might help you pin point the problem.
Should your PC refuse to boot we will know that you have a problem and might know why.

Now before you boot it I want you to check one more time if all components are properly seated!
It happens that some might be incorrectly seated and the contact is not proper.

First of all check if your MoBo does not have any shorts due to mounting on the spacer to the case. Your MoBo shouldn't be screwed to tight also as this might create problems.

But despite you should be getting error BIPS before computer POST.
Pay attentions to sequence of bips as they would tell you what is wrong.
i.e 1 long and 3 short, or 3 short, or alternate sequence of the bips prior to POST or not POST.

Next think you need to properly set your BIOS, if the BIOS is not set properly you are going to get BSOD with error messages and unable to load your OS!
Verify that your RAM DDR2 667 is UNBUFERRED RAM!
Check wahat voltage should your RAM (unbuffered) operate (1.8 V? or higher)

NEXT you have 6 SATA 3Gb/s ports.

It is very important that you verify to which port your SATA drive is connected!

You need to check your MoBo manual to see to which port connect your boot drive. On some MoBo if your drive is NOT connected to proper SATA ports you might encounter problems with installation of OS, and get the message that windows did not recognized the hard disk drive.
Your Raptor is SATA 150 what it mean that the MoBo will default (backward compatible) from 3Gb/s to 150!

I do not know ASUS M2N-E board specific configuration opf SATA ports but I had a very similar experience once with MoBo.
ASUS boards frequently have problems with BIOS chip, which might be defective. In such case you might be also getting bips indicating that your MoBo might be defective and you might need to RMA your MoBo.

Now as far as memory, please check the MoBo installation instructions.
One stick of DDR2 RAM is ok, however the instruction manual will tell you in which slot to insert the RAM if it is one stick only!
Shoulds you put memory module in any other slot you might have "malfunction"! Some MoBo ASUS requires that RAM be placed in a specific slot, you can not just pop module in any slot.

A - Data Vitesta is a good RAM, but I am NOT shure if it is fully compatible with this board, altough it should be compatible

AMD recommended DDR2 RAM

Now you got AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (Orlean) well to bad you did not got X2 ! .. but to late now you bot it!

Now verify that your PS is correct and you plugged properly all 3 connectors:

1. 24-pin ATX Power connector
2. System panel connector
3. 4-pin ATX 12V Power connector

If any of conectors is not connected you might be having problem.

Now check jumpers if your DVD/CD drive is set corectly (Master / Slave)
I would avoid CS setting as it might be hard to POST!
Your Hard Disk is SATA 150 that is no problem.

NEXT ALWAYS RECHECK IF CPU FAN IS PROPERLY CONECTED BEFORE YOU FIRE UP YOUR CLANKER.

Than before the instalation of Win XP (preferably from CD with SP2) you must load the SATA drivers (RAID) from your MoBo CD (make floppies as per instruction). Otherwise the windows would not recognise SATA (RAID) drives.

Skave ... Skoll!

PS.

I like Calsberg and Tuborg! (Danish) :wink: )

sony3127

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
She says she knows how to install Windows XP, but you make a good point... if she has never built and AMD based XP machine she may not have thought of that since Intel doesn't need to do this.

Also, I haven't used MemTest before, but I'm just going to guess that you may not be getting an error in Slot 4 b/c that's the slot you have the memory installed in. Check your mobo's manual and make sure that it doesn't have specific slots that it prefers single DIMM's to be in... like slot 1 for instance. :)

Istaria

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
hmmm as i am very inpatient with everything........ i went and bought a new motherboard from MSI.

*MSI K9N platinum nforce570

to bad i still get the same errors....... atleast, now i know that i have 2 fully working motherboards :lol:

i have switched out everyother component but the Ram and CPU (we didnt have access to any)

is it very safe to say that i got a faulty ram?

thx everyone for helping out

regards
sandra

theaxemaster

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
hmmm as i am very inpatient with everything........ i went and bought a new motherboard from MSI.

to bad i still get the same errors....... atleast, now i know that i have 2 fully working motherboards :lol:

i have switched out everyother component but the Ram and CPU (we didnt have access to any)

regards
sandra

No its not safe yet. Many, MANY AM2 motherboards right now have issues with non-micron IMC RAM, and it wouldn't surprise me that A-Data is one of those. Lots and lots of people have not been able to even get their boards to boot because of this issue.

The FIRST thing you need to do is upgrade the BIOS on the board you are using. Many of the manufacturers have already fixed the issues, so if you haven't done that yet, then its no wonder you're having problems. You'll need two floppies, one with a boot disk on it and one with the BIOS update file and the flashing program on it. Just follow the instructions in your motherboard manual.

I know for a FACT that Asus and Abit have both had this problem, and, at least for the SLI boards, they have fixed it in recent BIOS updates. Try that before you go RMA'ing parts.

Istaria

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
i have flashed my Asus board with the latest Bios, using their windows liveflash thingy. so i dont think its that... :(

Istaria

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006

regards
sandra

No its not safe yet. Many, MANY AM2 motherboards right now have issues with non-micron IMC RAM, and it wouldn't surprise me that A-Data is one of those. Lots and lots of people have not been able to even get their boards to boot because of this issue.

The FIRST thing you need to do is upgrade the BIOS on the board you are using. Many of the manufacturers have already fixed the issues, so if you haven't done that yet, then its no wonder you're having problems. You'll need two floppies, one with a boot disk on it and one with the BIOS update file and the flashing program on it. Just follow the instructions in your motherboard manual.

I know for a FACT that Asus and Abit have both had this problem, and, at least for the SLI boards, they have fixed it in recent BIOS updates. Try that before you go RMA'ing parts.

what does "none-micron IMC ram mean? 8O

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Even still, I would not trust any RAM that failed in 3 slots.
As I indicated before, I'd distrust the RAM before the motherboard. I would get some more RAM to test it with. Get corsair or crucial or kingston or some bigger brand name.

theaxemaster

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Even still, I would not trust any RAM that failed in 3 slots.
As I indicated before, I'd distrust the RAM before the motherboard. I would get some more RAM to test it with. Get corsair or crucial or kingston or some bigger brand name.

Which will "magically" work and you'll say "oh, well my ram must be crap!" But this may not be the case. It could simply be a compatability issue that MANY have had and fixed once the BIOS was updated.

Istaria: Sorry, mistyped, I meant to say IC, as in integrated circuit. Micron makes a lot of IC chips, especially for the "bigger" brand names. If you want to read OCZ's take on the issue, check this out:

http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22133&highlight=micron

That's the official OCZ support forum. It clearly mentions BIOS updates fixing the issues for both MSI and Asus motherboards, so I recommend you try that before you go spending more money on RAM you can't send back. I know its not the same brand, but just give it a shot. If that doesn't work, then you should probably send the RAM back.

Good luck!

amddiesel

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
i just bought a new AM2 setup containing:

- http://www.datorbutiken.com/se/default.php?artId=ASM2NSLIDLX
Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe nforce570
- http://www.datorbutiken.com/se/default.php?artId=1024DDR2AD667
A-Data 1024mb 667mhz (1module)
- http://www.datorbutiken.com/se/default.php?artId=ADA3500CNBOX
AMD Athlon64 "Orleans" 3500+ 2.2GHz 512Kb Boxed (with cpu-cooler!) Socket AM2
- http://www.datorbutiken.com/se/default.php?artId=ASN6600SIL512
Nvidia 6600 grafic card
- http://www.datorbutiken.com/se/default.php?artId=WDR740SATA
WesternDigital 1000rpm 74gb
-520w PSU

now to the problem, i cant seem to install windows xp (i might be blond but i know how to do that :wink: )

ive testet 2 diffrent windows so far, xp pro sp1 and xp pro including sp1 and 2

i get the blue screen with diffrent error messages ever single time at random occations, they always apear when the "step by step" screen is up.

i managed to install it 1 time some how, but then i got error messages in every application (games-iexplorer etc) i ran aftar a random period of time.

im not realy good with computer parts, but i was thinking, since the motherboard ram sockets are dual ddr2, must i have 2 dual modules in order for it to work? cus i only have 1 stick on 667mhz 1024mb.

im realy clueless on what to do, pls help me :(

I really think its your memory...Corsair brand memory and Asus motherbords work great together...