CONNECT EVGA GTX460 to SILENCER500 EPS 12V power supply

KRANDLE5000

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Hi let me first say im a total noob at this kind of stuff so if i havent supplied the right info please let me know what i should be looking for

basically as the title says I have bought an EVGA GTX460 graphics card i am trying to connect to my computer. Earlier I managed to take out the old graphics card an NVIDIA GEFORCE 7300 SE and replace it with the new one in the slot. BUT I couldnt for the life of me figure out where to plug in the power adapter things on it as the other card didnt require this. As i couldnt figure it out I probably stupidly ended up trying to put the computer on. The fan on the GTX 460 came on so I guess it must have been connected but I couldnt get the monitor to pic it up ( I also have to use the VGA ADAPTER as I have an old monitor also) but then I just switched it off and replaced the old graphics card so i could look on the net for advice.

Anyways after a bit of searching around I have located 1 of the molex connector power supply things (i think) and managed to connect 1 of the adapters to it, but I cant find any more places to plug the other ones in and I dont want to pull the leads too much (can supply pics if necessary) the other leads appear to have been pushed down the side or something.
the power supply is a SILENCER 500 EPS 12V (or so it says on the box)

so basically I was wondering am I even doing the right thing and does this power supply have more molex connector things or is this graphics card too powerful to be plugged into the power supply or something??

sorry for the noobness of all this but i really thought it would be fairly easy to connect this up but now am not so sure so if you have any advice or require further info please reply !

thanks

KRANDLE5000

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
some extra info for anyone who can help

processor: intel core 2 quad cpu q6600 @ 2.40 ghz (4 CPUs)
Memory : 2048 RAM
power supply: SILENCER500 EPS 12V
new graphics card : EVGA GTX460

is this sufficient to run this card ? please if anybody knows get in touch thanks

KRANDLE5000

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
well i found 1 more molex connector thing but where are the rest ???? can i just plug an adapter onto them or something or is that dangerous ? any help would be mucho apreciated

DM186

Splendid
You might have to buy a better GPU because you are going to need two connectors and four molex connectors unless your PSU has one 6 pin connector and two free molex.

If not you will have to buy a new PSU and I will link you to the brands you want not the cheap brands. You don't want to blow up your investment. Plus here is a video on installing your 460.

The brands you want are Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, XFX, Sliver Stone, and some OCZ brands. If you have any questions please do ask that is why we are here to help. I hope this helps you and good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieFyHUpqxHM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371035

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139033

The Silencer 500 has 1x 6 pin connector and 1x 6+2 connector no need to use adapters
S50EPS-1_3857.JPG

Keep looking down the side

KRANDLE5000

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
hey thanks for the reply yes I can see the 6 - 8 pin one but also on that diagram dosent it just show that the other one (the pci express video thing ) only takes 3 ? i can see one which i think takes 3 but i dont see another one that will take 6 ?

so do i need an adapter for that or am i missing something ? anyways is a moot point bcoz whoever built this computer has jammed the things under the dvd drive and i dont want to pull them too hard can show pics if needed

KRANDLE5000

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
hi sure

hope you can see this

http://imageshack.us/f/826/connectors.jpg/

tell us if you have problems viewing it + what ur thoughts are

KRANDLE5000

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
you think i need an adapter for the 3 pin one you mean to turn it into 6 pin ? I dunno how easy it would be to take out the DVD drive do you think it would be quite simple ? Cant for the life of me understand why these guys built the computer like this

anyways thanks for ur help

Actually they do it to secure the cables in one place - so they don't block the air flow.

Taking out the DVD drive is simple: just remove the 4 screws that's holding it.

I don't think it's a three pin connector - those do not exist. Take it out and you'll see that's not 3 pin :).

KRANDLE5000

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
oh i see well i managed to pull them all out from the dvd drive + everything still seems to be working okay but as you say I cant see a 3 pin one what I seem to have is 2 black ones with 6 pins (one of them has another part attached to it) and the white 6/8 pin one and some other ones. have included a pic. Which ones do i plug into the black ones or 1 black 1 and 1 white 1 or no black ones ? I dont have a clue

http://imageshack.us/f/62/connectothon.jpg/

you got any ideas ?

cheers

KRANDLE5000

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
dosent it say on the diagram above that 6/8 one is pci express video ? maybe am wrong i really dont know much about this stuff . nothing bad will happen if i plug it into the wrong connectors right ? but okay i wll try the black ones

KRANDLE5000

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
hi cool thanks well I havent connected the gfx card yet but i did try to plug in the connector things to see if they were the right thing (it does say pcie or whatever on the black ones so you must be right about that) but the thing is when i plugged into those things am not sure all 3 connectors are connected ? its almost like the connectors are spaced too widely apart for the connections theyre going into if that makes sense so do all 3 have to be connected ?

and also isnt the plastic surrounding the connectors too wide to connect both of them to each six pin . have included a pic to show you what i mean, i can only seem to fit 1 onto each six pin and am not sure theyre even connected right????

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/267/uhhhwhat.jpg/

see what i mean ? i think only 2 of the things is connected and i dont think the connector is wide enough to take the other 3 pins or should i just keep pushing it ?

hope this makes sense

KRANDLE5000

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
its like the brown + black wires are connected but the yellow one is too wide, but maybe it is connected. just making sure am doing it right

Throw the adapter away, use the 6 pin and 6+2 pin from the power supply , connect them directly to the card

KRANDLE5000

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
ahh yeah i just figured that out right before reading this, thanks for the confirmation. why do they include the adapters for ? ? thats whats been confusing me so much what is the point of them ?

by the way the 6/8 one is white do you think should i just use both the black ones ?

Just use two black ones.

They are included for people with older design yet powerful enough power supplies. AFAIK, they started using PCIe connectors in 2007. Before then most powerful cards used molex connectors.

KRANDLE5000

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
man i wish they would put some stuff like that in the instructions the instructions for this are so bad they make it look like you need to plug the adapters in or else its not gonna work anyways am gonna give it a shot and hopefully do it right this time ! they really dont make it clear enough on the instructions

anyway
cheers hopefully this will work