[SOLVED] Connecting PC to Panasonic Surround System

Jun 12, 2020
I am planning to connect my new PC build (Mb is an Asus ROG Strix b550f) to my old panasonic 5.1-channel home theater system. I checked both manuals, and Asus shows how to connect the PC to different audio system types in the manual. One of these is 5.1 channels, but the Asus diagram assumes three input ports on the Sound System whereas I only have 2x RCA and 1x 3.5mm input options on the Panasonic. I will use a standard 3.5mm jack for output from the PC. Should I use a 3.5mm to 2x RCA cable OR a 3.5mm to 3.5mm to connect my PC to the Sound System? I would like to have 5.1 channels if possible. Does the 3.5mm cable support that in one channel? Is there another method I should try so I can have full 5.1 surround?

Solution
It is a panasonic SC-PT650. This is the manual: sc-pt650_en_om-1.pdf
Page 6 is where I found info about the ports.
I'm not seeing a 3.5mm input on the Panasonic.
I'm seeing it has a headphone out.
I think this might be what you're referring to.

So you go from the lime green signal output on the PC with a 3.5mm (1/8") stereo plug to two RCAs that will connect to the aux in on the Panasonic.
It is a panasonic SC-PT650. This is the manual: sc-pt650_en_om-1.pdf
Page 6 is where I found info about the ports.
I'm not seeing a 3.5mm input on the Panasonic.
I'm seeing it has a headphone out.
I think this might be what you're referring to.

So you go from the lime green signal output on the PC with a 3.5mm (1/8") stereo plug to two RCAs that will connect to the aux in on the Panasonic.

Last edited:
Solution
I also saw that there is one for headphone output, but on the other side of the volume buttons there is a second one for input. How many channels can be transmitted over the 3.5mm cable into that port?
On page 31....that's another stereo input port.
I don't think it makes a difference if you go to that....or the two RCA aux ins on the back.....as long as you set the input to whatever you're hooked to.