[SOLVED] Connecting to VPN knocks out home internet

StarCry

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2015
Users from my workplace are now working from home using the AT&T VPN client. I have two (with Virgin Media) who's entire internet connection drops out when they try to connect to the VPN and can only be fixed by rebooting the router.

Yesterday I managed to get one temporarily up and running by disabling the firewall when they connected, but now the problem is back and no firewall settings will fix the issue.

I'm completely stumped here and everybody I've spoken to seems to be equally as stumped. Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Solution
some VPNs and virgin media don't work well together. Have you tried using your mobile phone as hotspot - just for testing - to see if it's Virgin media being a pain.

StarCry

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2015
I've heard that Virgin can be awkward with VPNs, just had somebody else tell me that they are experiencing the same issue on Sky though.

I'll get them to give the hotspot a go tomorrow

StarCry

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2015
So one of the users (the one on Sky) finally tried on a mobile hotspot and it seemed to work.

So it's definitely down to either the routers or the ISPs. Any ideas on a fix here or would it be a case of contact the ISP to see if they can resolve it at their end?

TRENDING THREADS