Connection Keeps Dropping Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

buffdaddy110

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2005
I have a cable modem running to d-link wireless router. I will sometimes lose my internet connection within windows. Everything will appear to be connected and running on both the modem and router, also task manager shows me still connected. The only way to solve the problem is to bypass the modem and re-establish the connection or restart the computer. My question is wether or not it sounds like a hardware problem or a windows problem.

sturm

Splendid
Are you losing the whole network or just the internet connection?
If just the internet connection then I would have the cable company check your lines and signal strength.
If your losing the whole network, it also could be due to the modem losing connection. I have had this happen before.
Usually unplugging the modem and the router and then plugging them back in will solve the problem.

buffdaddy110

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2005
That's what I do to solve the problem, or re-establish my connection. The thing is the wirelesss network still works, and my Pc shows me connected, but I can't open anything internet related. When I hook up the cable modem directly to the host PC everythinh works great all the time never losing connection.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
I wonder if that could be a misconfiguration at the router. Do you have connection set to 'on demand' or 'keep connected'? (terms may differ for different routers) Did you have to clone your MAC address onto the router to get conneccted?

Mike.

mpjesse

Splendid
You know what, I have the SAME exact problem with my Centrino lappy. I've tried EVERYTHING to fix it- nothing works. I've had this problem for over a year and still haven't found a solution.

Here's what I tried:

New cable modem
New linksys router
reinstalling centrino drivers
all kinds of crazy settings in the router

I finally gave up and chaulked it up to an incompatibility w/ my linksys router and intel's centrino chipset.

My desktop has a linksys wireless NIC and I have no problems with it at all. So it's almost certainly an incompatibility issue.

Some retard at comcast told me to try some windows patch and that it would fix it, but it didn't. So if you have comcast and they suggest that, don't bother.

-mpjesse

G

I sure hope someone comes up with an answer. I have the same problem. Folks, I don't think it is your router.

I've tried about a dozen suggested fixes probably over a hundred times. Nothing is working. I even tried re-installing my operating system.

I need to mention there are three computers on the wireless network. One other computer had the issue and I changed the wireless channel That cured the problem for the other computer.

I read one article that said the problem is a result of Microsoft Wireless Zero Configuration constantly looking for a new or better wireless network becoming available. I believe that is closer to the cause. That article suggested establishing your wireless connection and then disabling WZC. I tried that too, but no luck.

With so many people having this problem, someone has GOT to find an answer sooner or later. Hopefully sooner.

apedrero

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
I have Mac/Windows systems in our studio.
We have been using a wireless D-Link router, things have been on and off.
But just in the last 2 days one the mac keeps loosing the internet access.
Connections get restablished only after restarting my computer and the after a few minutes again.
I am getting a visit from a technician, if he finds the problems I will let you know.

antonroder

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
We have a D-Link DIR-615.

After spending more than 5 hours on the phone with D-Link and speaking with more than 5 different agents, I was eventually referred to someone that seemed to know what he was doing.

He dropped my network communication speed to 10 Mbps and the MTU to 1400. Now I no longer get disconnected, but the internet seems to be a bit slow. He explained it had something to do with modem/router communication, but I didn't catch all of it.

As this was not happening with my regular Netgear hub, I would guess it's an issue with the router.

Crafty42

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Hate to bring up a dead horse, but I just recently had a problem similar to this, and wanted to see if anyone found anything out before I ask Comcast to drop my speed. My connection has been up and running for years on the same router, and everything seemed fine till yesterday. My desktop dropped off the internet, but still says it's connected. It is hardlined to the router. My laptop recognizes the wireless, but won't connect. I tried rebooting and resetting both modem/router and computers several times. I tried hard connecting the desktop straight to the modem, and that seems to work, for a short time. After awhile, it drops right back off, and will usually say limited or no connection/activity.

adrianr

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
heres some food for thought....

my imac and macbook connect via airport (set to ch11 as another previous idea) both work fine but imac drops off however macbook remains connected, no interruption whatsoever. So I'm thinking this is an imac problem not airport or router. It never did this until the past 4-5 months where it does it every day.

StoneFX

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
Same problem here to. I have two laptops using Centrino that can't keep an internet connection to my DIR-625, Belkin G, and Linksys G Router. I've tried all three routers and I'm running into the same problem. However, I have a desktop using a Linksys Wireless Adapter that never loses access to the internet. So it's definitely something to do with the laptops. If it truly is a Centrino problem then wouldn't using a usb wireless adapter on the laptop fix the problem? I haven't tried that yet...

Comcast says when the cable box loses it's signal, the router can't get good communication back with the cable box. I'm not sure if that's right. He just told me to turn them all off and then turn them back on. Huge pain in the butt that doesn't always work.

elpaso95

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009

greetings buffdaddy: i am having the same sorta troubles. what i am using to connect to is att&t (2wire 802, 11g usb wireless adapter) but that is not my poblem. It's the wireless network connections3 that comes with the computer. I am serious thinking of going to my cpu/properties/ hardware/ device manger. yesterday i " scan for hardware changes".
question? should i ( update all network drivers). My problem sounds likw what evrybody else is the the wirellessnetworkconnections ( Activity) twin cpu icons keep going from full blue to left blue them all gray or right is blue. My cpu use to stall blue all day buy, now t keeps going from blue to gray. Please help i am willing to pay you by paypal?

fionamacd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
I am switching from Fairpoint landline to the Ooma VoiP option. Everything works great except that now I notice in some calls the line goes all quiet for a couple of seconds and then comes back. Very annoying in the middle of a conversation.

I also use TeamViewer to remote desktop to my office computer from home and it drops out every so often too.

Using Netgear powerline for routing and have a wireless router too for Ipod.

Is there a tool that can monitor an internet connection over a period of time so that I could prove it is a DSL issue, not a network issue?

Fiona

G

I think it's comcast cable or what ever cable company and the way they deal with their service, they will drop your ip based on inactivity, which is given to your modem based inactivity.
Let say you have no traffic going through you modem for a period of 4 hours or so. I'm having the same problem as you are , except i'm in the networking field so i know what to look for. If it was signal issue, then you'll experience the drop while the internet is working and you are using it. If it's like you just return home and started to use your internet and it ain't working then me thinks comcast is running out of real ip to dish out to in their DHCP network, you'll have to wait in line till the next ip to become available which is a matter of luck and time.

G

I think you just need to change the channel your router broadcasts on. Sounds lame but it works. Try setting the channel to 8. This used to happen all the time at our house and we went through about 5 routers. You reset it to factory defaults, works for a while then you can connect but cant sed/recieve data. Simply change the channel it broadcasts on. Trust me.

amber21_23

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
whoa this is also my problem can someone tell me what to do?my internet connection always disconnect then when i unplug my router and modem then oplug it again it would work but it happens every 5 minutes so i have to unplug and plug it again i'm really sick and tired about this.

eponymous_

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009

I'm having the same problem. Did you find a solution? If you did, please reply to this message.

burntair

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
I think it's comcast cable or what ever cable company and the way they deal with their service, they will drop your ip based on inactivity, which is given to your modem based inactivity.
Let say you have no traffic going through you modem for a period of 4 hours or so. I'm having the same problem as you are , except i'm in the networking field so i know what to look for. If it was signal issue, then you'll experience the drop while the internet is working and you are using it. If it's like you just return home and started to use your internet and it ain't working then me thinks comcast is running out of real ip to dish out to in their DHCP network, you'll have to wait in line till the next ip to become available which is a matter of luck and time.

comcast/roadrunner cable modem and linksys 802.11g - connection drops on inactivity

I agree - I may be on the dell laptop all day long connected fine, and all I have to do is go make a sandwich or something, come back to find the laptop in locked mode and when I log back in to use it - no internet though wireless says great connection - gotta turn off cable modem and router and power back on
(which is a pain since it is the far corner of a full garage - I at one time even had a remote controlled power switch to cycle my surge strip off but that died eventually)

I also bought a new linksys thinking that may be the trouble but no bueno

every now and then I call roadrunner and tell them I know what they are doing, and they always walk me thru hoops and say everything looks good and they can't do anything, but after each call, it mysteriously improves for a few days or even weeks - I think they have priority settings they can apply that expire after a while

Someone mentioned a setting at the router to "stay alive" which sounds great - but I haven't found one - I have contemplated running a program that continually uploads and downloads to see if I could keep it alive without sacrificing bandwidth...

armelton

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Hello to all,

I have the same issue with a customer and we are using a desktop, (XP with all updates), a MAC book pro with XP and MAC O/S dual boot, and also a Dell laptop. Along with Tivo stuff too. I have never had any issues until about a month ago when the modem went out.

We are using Netgear wireless router with no issues. After the modem was replaced, now but, I still don't think its the router. I replace the router with a Linksys and the same issue. Last night, I put in another NetGear and the same thing.

All of the routers, desktop, and laptops are working fine when I leave and for a couple of days or hours the internet will drop.

As you know the routers are very basic to configure. So, I know my configs. are good. I am now believing its Comcast equipment or IP's that are dropping.

Someone had mention to change the channel on the router or have Comcast drop the speed connection to the modem. I don't know about dropping the speed connection to the modem but, I will try changing the channels.

I have the same setup at home and I have no issues.

G

Hey Guys,
Im here to help,hopefully.The problem is not the router,isp,nor the companies.Its a conflict that all networks have in pc and mac.I have a link you might want to try.Just copy and paste it.If that doesnt work ,then try this.Go to your device manager,delete all networking and usb.Shut down your computer for 10 min,exactly.Reboot.Problem solved.Goodluck guys.

G

Hey Guys,
Im here to help,hopefully.The problem is not the router,isp,nor the companies.Its a conflict that all networks have in pc and mac.I have a link you might want to try.Just copy and paste it.If that doesnt work ,then try this.Go to your device manager,delete all networking and usb.Shut down your computer for 10 min,exactly.Reboot.Problem solved.Goodluck guys.
hey u said theres a link but i dont see a link? haha

burntair

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
Hey Guys,

OK - so you are in fact not here to help but here to make it more of a pain... since we already know that power cycling the hardware fixes the connection, your steps only add to an already annoying process.

thanks for stopping by and NOT helping though
cheers

dcduey

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
I have a mac and it is on the same network as two pc's. I have a 2nd screen and I have Safari running on one monitor while Firefox is on the other and both browsers will stop working at the same time. But both PC's that are on the same network will still be working. I can even turn on my USB Broadband from Sprint and nothing. So I know it's in my computer some how.

FlaHelp

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
i use to have the same problem for long time hade my ISP some out to my house tons of times intill i got one guy who knew what he was taling about.. if your not pluged into a EPU (emergency power unit) this may be the problem why you ask? well most poeple will go an buy a surge protector so your damaged by lighting but surge protecors dont help from power drops.. and you might not see it but your power is alway surgeing up but most of the time down.

so when your power surges down in your house your modem and router will start to power down for just a split second then stop.. when that happens your router is always going to come back up first and then the modem, when that happens the router does not get to pick up the ip from the modem.. whitch in turn make it look like the router is just droping your network for no reason.. but this only be the case if your loseing the internet on all computers in the house and your not useing a epu...

hope this helps

highspeed11

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I have a smiliar problem with my Comcast ISP using a Belkin wireless router. My connection works fine when connected straight from the modem to my pc. However when I'm using the router, the connection will only last maybe an hour or so. Not just the wireless but the internet side. The internet light on the router blinks slowly on and off. I have to unplug the router/modem to get the internet back for a little while 'til it goes out again.

I've had my wireless set up for a little over a month. The problem has only been happening since Thanksgiving day. It's also not the first time this has happened with Comcast while using wireless. It seems everytime at different addresses after a period of time something goes wrong. I've never seen this with DSL.

I called Comcast and they told me to try getting a new modem which I did. That did not do anything to help. I've read a lot about this issue and nothing seems to work. I haven't tried switching the channel on the router yet. That's my next step. Does Comcast even sell a wireless modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.