Consistant Process cycling, HD accessing?

Running XP Pro with SP2 and all current hotfixes and newest driver updates on
an Abit IC7 mobo with Prescott 3.2E, and 200GB Seagate main drive. Something
must have happened last week, maybe a switching surge from the AC or a bad
driver upgrade, but since last week I get a very quick hour glass for a split
second every 4 seconds and a HD LED indication, every thing else runs fine. I
checked into Process manager and it shows roughly 97% system idle process and
2-6% jumping around with svchost and csrss. Any other info needed? Any ideas?
elcondor@comcast.net

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:DBBB0178-9D58-48D1-AE0C-DFE4701FB088@microsoft.com,
elcondor <elcondor@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Running XP Pro with SP2 and all current hotfixes and newest driver
> updates on an Abit IC7 mobo with Prescott 3.2E, and 200GB Seagate
> main drive. Something must have happened last week, maybe a switching
> surge from the AC or a bad driver upgrade, but since last week I get
> a very quick hour glass for a split second every 4 seconds and a HD
> LED indication, every thing else runs fine. I checked into Process
> manager and it shows roughly 97% system idle process and 2-6% jumping
> around with svchost and csrss. Any other info needed? Any ideas?
> elcondor@comcast.net

My first thoughts are on the indexing service - which isn't that bad
resource wise... The second might be a search tool like MSN or Google that
you might have installed or, given some recent posts, one handed down from
Norton/Symantec. Might those be applicable?

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes