Question Constant BSOD followed by GPU no video and power cycling ?

mattpmariani

Honorable
Aug 15, 2017
Build:
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700 3.2Ghz 6 core
GPU: EVGA SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti 8GB
MB: MSI Z390-A Pro
Memory: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200Mhz
PSU: EVGA 600 B1 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

I recently moved my pc from home to my apartment and upon setting it up and playing about 5 minutes of a game, my pc blue-screened and froze on the blue screen, forcing me to perform a hard reboot. When I hit the power button to restart my pc and see what happened, my pc would begin to power up for about half a second and then turn off again, doing this in a loop every second or two until I flipped the switch on the PSU to cut power. I was only able to get it to power up normally after removing my GPU. After removing the GPU and launching the PC, I was met with a screen asking which BIOS settings I wanted to boot with(last known, default, etc) and was able to boot normally.

I was eventually able to get video from the GPU after reinstalling it and made it to the settings page on windows before the computer froze and blue-screened again. Same process of booting without the GPU, powering off, and booting with and yet another crash, this time while looking up a solution in the browser. I removed the GPU, booted, and uninstalled all of the nvidia drivers and updated windows and tested it out again just now and it crashed once again in the main menu of a game. This time I decided to cut power to the pc and wait 10 minutes after the crash and then try to start up the pc to see if it was still rapidly turn on and off and it just booted normally with video and all. It seems that the whole booting without the GPU and then booting with was completely unnecessary.

I inspected my GPU for signs of physical damage, corrosion, or melting and saw none. All of the BSODs have had completely different error codes, each of which were completely unhelpful. The first originated from easy anti cheat, prompting me to reinstall that as well to no avail. The second was from an Nvidia background application, so I replaced all of the drivers and software completely but no solution there either. My PC worked completely fine the day before I brought it over to my apartment, which lead me to suspect it was damaged in transit, but extensive inspection of the MB and the GPU pcb and connector led to nothing.

My future plans are to attempt to reinstall windows in case that is somehow the issue(but I highly doubt it) and replace the drivers for my headphones that I got roughly 2 weeks ago and have been using with no issues. If these fix it somehow, I'll mark this post as resolved. If all else fails, I guess I'll have to either RMA the card or get a new one, but I consider this an absolute last resort.

I've also run sfc scan and all the windows default repair tools under the sun to no avail.

I tried checking the Event Viewer application for any useful crash messages, but all I could find were symptoms of the crash(my ssd driver quitting unexpectedly due to the crash, some random /Device/vbox virtualbox error that's been happening forever and reinstalling virtualbox didn't fix for some reason).

I would greatly appreciate any troubleshooting advice or anecdotes of past similar experience you can provide, as this is incredibly frustrating and confusing for me.

Edit: I decided to cut power to the pc and wait 10 minutes after the crash and then try to start up the pc to see if it was still rapidly turn on and off and it just booted normally with video and all. I edited the paragraph above to reflect this. I guess the capacitors needed to discharge or something but it seems that the whole booting without the GPU and then booting with was completely unnecessary. The crashing problem remains unfortunately.

Edit2: I just updated more drivers and software and my pc blue screened at the home screen again. This time it actually successfully restarted on its own but is now frozen at the Motherboard startup screen. I turned my pc off and attempting to turn it on again led to the rapidly-turning-on-and-off issue once again. It just happened another time shortly after booting again with a SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION error.

Edit3: Ran the windows memory diagnostic tool and the tool froze part way through the first test not responding to keyboard input with the message "Hardware problems were detected." Had to hard reboot as it was stuck at 31% for about half an hour.

Last edited: