Constant Performance Issues

Isaiah98

Honorable
Oct 26, 2015
Hey There

For the last two years or so i have experienced consistent irritating performance issues with my PC.Specifically when i am playing a game such as Battlefield my card's usage is at 60% and will only go up in non demanding areas such as when i'm looking at the sky , however when i start running through environments , buildings etc the usage drops rather than staying near 100%.

Since late 2014 i have purchased a new CPU , Motherboard , Power Supply , and Graphics card all in an attempt to discover what causes my issue and none have fixed i.

Also i have ensured it is not a CPU bottleneck , the 4970k is always at approximately 70-80% and the temps for both the GPU and CPU never go above 80 degrees.

My Current Specs are
Motherboard: Asus Maximum VI Hero
CPU: i7 4790k , OC'd to 4.6
GPU: GTX 1080 G1 Gaming
PSU: SILVERSTONE ST85F-P 850W
Memory: 1x 8GB DDR3 Ripjaws , 2X Kingston 1333MHZ 4GB Stick

I really need help with this , it is so goddamn annoying.
Thanks

Ricky Omesmo

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013
You have a great computer so my guess is that you have drivers issues or other software relate issue.
Try a clean install of a nvidia driver and run some benchmarks like timespy and such. If the results are lower than most users on web I would recommend a fresh windows installation.

Isaiah98

Honorable
Oct 26, 2015

Hey thanks for the quick response , i've tried Timespy and Firestrike and i receive pretty solid scores but whenever i go into a game like GTA 5 , Battlefield , Planetside etc i just get shit performance. Could i be my RAM? , i understand typically RAM causes no performance issues but maybe?

Isaiah98

Honorable
Oct 26, 2015

Both my second and third slot are running in single channel according to CPU Z (Those slots contain the two 4GB sticks) , is that an issue?

Grugbug

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016

I'm sure RAM in single channel mode will impact performance games that need large amounts of RAM, Battlefield 1 being one of them. Battlefield 1 loves 16 Gigs.
You have the two 4 Gig modules in the 2nd and 3rd slot, where is the 8 Gig stick?
For dual channel mode you usually populate either the even or odd banks if the board is not going to be fully populated.

Isaiah98

Honorable
Oct 26, 2015

So the 8GB is in the first slot and is running at Dual with the 4 GB's in the second and third. Would ditching the two 4GB and getting a single 8GB be a potential solution?

Grugbug

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
You have 4 slots for RAM, two different colors. Each color is a bank, a bank needs to be populated with (preferably) the same RAM. Using different RAM will cause the RAM bank to default to the slowest stick.

If you have an 8 gig stick in one bank and 2x4 gig sticks in the other bank you will have 8 gigs in single and 8 gigs in dual.
If you have an 8 gig and a 4 gig stick in one bank and 4 gig in the other you will have 4 gigs in dual and 8 gigs in single channel.

I'd pull the 8 gig stick and try running the two 4 gig sticks in dual channel for the moment.
Ideally you want to match the 8 gig stick with another 8 gig stick, same make and model.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Put the 2x4gb in the first red+black slot (1+2 from the cpu) and the 1x8gb in the remaining red slot (nr3 from the cpu) this should give 16gb in dualchannel.

What speed does it give under the memory tab in cu-z? Probably 1333mhz since one set is that speed according to you.You could try and enable XMP in the bios and see if this will go up.

Grugbug

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016

You will only get 4 gig of dual channel and and 2x4 single channels. The 4 gig you have in the first slot has nothing to pair with.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Nope.

One red+one black slot are one channel,means when pairing the 2x4gb in one such a combination will that read 8gb in one channel,if putting the other 1x8gb in the other channel will you have 8gb per channel equals dualchannel.
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-011965.htm
check for "Dual-channel with three DIMMs". I know what you might say,but here the same colors are one channel,with the above mentioned Asus board are one red+one black slot one channel.

Grugbug

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016

Believe what you want, color dictates channel and both slots need to be filled for dual channel operation.