all my controlpanle icons appear as boxes. and every time I open the control
panel my system freezes and crashes. Can anyone suggest a solution for this?

--
WILLIAMSON

Try installing xp cd,exit the info page,then go to run,type:cmd In cmd type:
Sfc /Scannow When the utility is thru type:CHKDSK C: /F Agree to restart,
then type:EXIT Restart computer,remove xp cd.

=?Utf-8?B?V0lMTElBTVNPTg==?= wrote:

> all my controlpanle icons appear as boxes. and every time I open the control
> panel my system freezes and crashes. Can anyone suggest a solution for this?

Many forms of malware affect control panel in that way. You are going to
have to do some cleaning.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Scan your system with latest version of Spybot,Search and
Destroy,CWShredder as well as with Adaware.Run all of them in Safe mode.

See:-
You receive an "Error occurred while Windows was working with the
Control Panel file" error message when you open Control Panel in Windows
XP SP2
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;892890

Control Panel stops responding in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;843551

Restore the Control Panel
line 256;left:-

regards,